Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 04:35 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times

Advertisements

Christian privilege is an interesting combination of words because it enters the realm of politics. Lately, politics is played in the mud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 05:55 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Christian privilege is an interesting combination of words because it enters the realm of politics. Lately, politics is played in the mud.
The concept of group privilege is (mis)used by politicians but it is no less valid for that.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:01 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except under unusual circumstances, I would not dream of asking a person I didn't know fairly well about their religion. Let's put it this way...if I knew them well enough to invite into my home, or to accept an invitation to their home...okay, I can see perhaps asking that question...perhaps. But short of something of that nature, it seems like an awfully personal question to ask a person whom one doesn't know well.

As I mentioned earlier, when I moved to Colorado Springs I was asked something along those lines by several strangers. Usually my answer was, "Why?" Which tended to end that conversation.
While I agree with you, the basis for your statements is that one's religion beliefs are private and personal. The genius of culture in the Bible Belt is that they have made it public by default. It is a point of pride and identity and virtue signalling for them. That doesn't give them the right to expect non-Christians to feel that same privilege. It is one of the basic components of any privileged stance -- the assumption that everyone can or should think your impertinence is no big deal because you swim in an ocean of privilege you're not even really aware of, and assume everyone has exactly the same social consequences and vulnerability for revealing their innermost spirituality.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:55 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
While I agree with you, the basis for your statements is that one's religion beliefs are private and personal. The genius of culture in the Bible Belt is that they have made it public by default. It is a point of pride and identity and virtue signalling for them. That doesn't give them the right to expect non-Christians to feel that same privilege. It is one of the basic components of any privileged stance -- the assumption that everyone can or should think your impertinence is no big deal because you swim in an ocean of privilege you're not even really aware of, and assume everyone has exactly the same social consequences and vulnerability for revealing their innermost spirituality.
I love the phrase I bolded!

Old 09-30-2022, 08:19 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Quote:
. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents the government from making laws that regulate an establishment of religion, or that prohibit the free exercise of religion, or abridge the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press, the freedom of assembly, or the right to petition the government for redress of grievances
Free excersise of religion in one form is wearing religious markers in dress and speech. The caps, turbans, bindi, cross, beard, head covering are all expressions of religion. To think religion is private business and a Privilage is odd for an American to believe. It is a right earned and guaranteed by the constitution.
Maybe if you live in France it is different.
That Muslims are afraid to exercise their right to free expression of religion is due to the stereotyping of all Arab-looking people as terrorists who will fly a plane into buildings. The way Nazis forced Jews to wear the yellow star as a marker of shame. The danger Muslims feel is not because Christians exercise their rights. The solution is not attempt to change the constitution, but for everyone to be diligent about preserving everyoneā€™s rights, including free expression of thought, speech, and religion.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Free excersise of religion in one form is wearing religious markers in dress and speech. The caps, turbans, bindi, cross, beard, head covering are all expressions of religion. To think religion is private business and a Privilage is odd for an American to believe. It is a right earned and guaranteed by the constitution.
Maybe if you live in France it is different.
That Muslims are afraid to exercise their right to free expression of religion is due to the stereotyping of all Arab-looking people as terrorists who will fly a plane into buildings. The way Nazis forced Jews to wear the yellow star as a marker of shame. The danger Muslims feel is not because Christians exercise their rights. The solution is not attempt to change the constitution, but for everyone to be diligent about preserving everyoneā€™s rights, including free expression of thought, speech, and religion.
I think to most of us in this thread it is not clear why you persist in attempting to make this about Muslims.

It is no more about Muslims than it is about any other minority religion in the United States, whether it be Mormons, Jews, Rastafaris, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Taoists, Pagans, Animists, Sikhs, or dozens of other minority (in the US) religions. And atheists.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:23 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
I think to most of us in this thread it is not clear why you persist in attempting to make this about Muslims.

It is no more about Muslims than it is about any other minority religion in the United States, whether it be Mormons, Jews, Rastafaris, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Taoists, Pagans, Animists, Sikhs, or dozens of other minority (in the US) religions. And atheists.
Perhaps. It is evident to most people however that Muslims, and by their turban and beard Sikhs, have had a harder time dealing with being targeted. Never heard of many of the other groups suffering the same way, Although ethnic groups are often bunched together whether they share the same religion or not, just because they have darker skin or beards or whatever. For instance the travel ban was against Muslims, not for Jains or Animists as far as I know.
The larger point is that it was not Christian privilege that caused these attacks, a point that was made on one of the links to articles you posted, titled Christian Privilage.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Perhaps. It is evident to most people however that Muslims, and by their turban and beard Sikhs, have had a harder time dealing with being targeted. Never heard of many of the other groups suffering the same way, Although ethnic groups are often bunched together whether they share the same religion or not, just because they have darker skin or beards or whatever. For instance the travel ban was against Muslims, not for Jains or Animists as far as I know.
I suggest you go back and read about the history of what Mormons suffered through in this country. I suggest you go back and read about the history of anti-Semitism in this country.

But again, something you missed in an earlier post is important here. Christian privilege isn't just about the gross cases of religious prejudice that occurs in this (and other) countries. It's almost more about 'an attitude' that permeates almost any culture where there is a clear majority religion which asserts its power. I've talked about seeing it in Thailand and Malaysia, as just two examples.

Another example I can give is that several christian churches in Northern Virginia once fought against giving a zoning exception to a Buddhist group to build a temple because it might make traffic in the area too heavy...while their churches already made traffic a problem. Let's face it...it had nothing to do with traffic.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Perhaps. It is evident to most people however that Muslims, and by their turban and beard Sikhs, have had a harder time dealing with being targeted. Never heard of many of the other groups suffering the same way, Although ethnic groups are often bunched together whether they share the same religion or not, just because they have darker skin or beards or whatever.
Why are you changing the meaning of Christian privelege to one of actively attacking other groups? But going along with your radical concept of the term are you unaware of anti semetism? Not allowing Jews to live in certain communities or swim at certain public beaches?

Back to your reason for bringing up Muslims, the war in Iraq was started by a born again Christian narrowly elected by primarily Christian voters who selected his own advisors and cabinent secerwtaries and the war was approved by your Senate mostly Christian senators. Do not blame it on the few right wing advisors who may have also been atheist instead ofthe vastly dominate right wing people who were Evangleical Christians.

This thread is about Christian privelege not about your avid hatred of atheists. Stay on topic. Or about racial or even religious presecution.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:51 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
A concept (actually a reality) that is harmful to the American nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_privilege
Interesting reading and topic. Thanks...

Always seems to me that no matter the source of privilege, there are those who realize they are privileged for whatever reason(s). Thankful and humble about it. Then there are those who feel they deserve to be privileged for whatever reason(s). They are the more likely to be xenophobic, sexist, homophobic, and name your phobic. AKA bigots. Doesn't really matter if it's religion related or not, but there are too many of the latter in too many religions too. Too many people who are part of the latter group period.

PS: Like you, I recently posted information I quoted from Wikipedia in another thread over in the P&OC forum, and it was deleted. Reason given: copyrighted material. Maybe a Mod can explain whether it's okay to quote Wikipedia or not? I posted the link as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality