Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2022, 02:39 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Did you go to public school? If so did you ever have to write an exam on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday? If you went to private school no wonder you did not see it.

The very fact that Christians are in the majority is the reason for most of their priveledge. Students from other faiths going to public schools do need to attend school on their relugiius holidays. You do not see that as a Christian but a majority advantage. Religious wise who are the majority?

As far as Christians living in my head, fortuantely no they dont. I do have the ability to observe the world. I can see that institutiios are setup ro accomidate your religion. I see white privelege as well. White people do not live in my head but I am white. It just means that I can observe there ars less obstacles for me than a black ir idigeous man.
I think one of the things that opened up my eyes to 'privilege', even before I realized 'christian privilege', was spending a lot of time and then living in Thailand, where there are a whole difference set of privileges for Buddhists (versus Westerners; for example, Thais never get fined for littering, but Westerners sure do), and traveling as an independent visitor through Malaysia for a month, where the privileges are for the bumiputera (Malay-Muslims) versus Indians and Chinese (who often aren't afraid to talk about it). It's privilege till it graduates on up to entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 08:01 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Did you go to public school? If so did you ever have to write an exam on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday? If you went to private school no wonder you did not see it.

The very fact that Christians are in the majority is the reason for most of their priveledge. Students from other faiths going to public schools do need to attend school on their relugiius holidays. You do not see that as a Christian but a majority advantage. Religious wise who are the majority?

As far as Christians living in my head, fortuantely no they dont. I do have the ability to observe the world. I can see that institutiios are setup ro accomidate your religion. I see white privelege as well. White people do not live in my head but I am white. It just means that I can observe there ars less obstacles for me than a black ir idigeous man.
Right. And ONLY Christians get to observe those things? It's ONLY Christians that get Sundays and Christmas off?

Old 10-02-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Right. And ONLY Christians get to observe those things? It's ONLY Christians that get Sundays and Christmas off?
Every post you're making on this topic proves you don't get it, and proves the concept of christian privilege.

For example, let's change and not have Sundays off...let's follow Muslim tradition where Friday is the most important day of prayer (I experienced this in Malaysia years ago; https://theconversation.com/what-is-...%20on%20Friday.). Sorry, but you Christians will just have to work on Sundays.

Let's not have a holiday on Christmas. Work as usual. American will have a national holiday on Yom Kippur.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:26 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Every post you're making on this topic proves you don't get it, and proves the concept of christian privilege.

For example, let's change and not have Sundays off...let's follow Muslim tradition where Friday is the most important day of prayer (I experienced this in Malaysia years ago; https://theconversation.com/what-is-...%20on%20Friday.). Sorry, but you Christians will just have to work on Sundays.

Let's not have a holiday on Christmas. Work as usual. American will have a national holiday on Yom Kippur.
We can use another example of this. Christian Sabbath Keeper churches. They have essentially developed their own culture based on their tradition of observing Saturday as opposed to Sunday. This really isn't an example of privilege or lack there of... but just another example of how the standard Christian customs and routines are ingrained into our greater culture.

So naturally, there are some innate advantages in observing these routines and customs.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:45 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I've worked plenty of jobs where I didn't get Sundays off. Or Christmas, or Easter. I had a choice of either working there or not. I didn't get in a tizzy over it, or whine about it.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I've worked plenty of jobs where I didn't get Sundays off. Or Christmas, or Easter. I had a choice of either working there or not. I didn't get in a tizzy over it, or whine about it.
Why do I bet that you buy into the 'war on christmas' mantra.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:02 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
On those jobs did they always give yoy Fridays off because it was closed for the Sabath? Did you get Jewish holidays off wirh pay but no extra for working Christmas.

And the onlynone getting in a tizzy or whinning about it is you. Most of us are just wriring our observations. You sem ti be upset because we are commenting on something that you do not think is even a thing.

For the record I have never complained to an employer or givernment about the way it is. No one is asking for holidays to be changed. We are only stating that our societies are structure in such a way that it best fits Christian customs and that too many Christians are unable to cimorehend that. No one wants to punish Christians for it. Just simple things like not set exams on imoortant religious holidays or employers not to refuse staff to have rhose days off if possibe in achknowlegment of its impoetance.

Do to not wish for those other religions being treated as yourself?

Old 10-02-2022, 02:39 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
If this country was founded by Jewish people then we'd be talking about "Jewish privilege".

No one put any religion over another. It just so happens it was the religion of the founding fathers so it was incorporated into our daily lives.

It's the way history evolved. Christians founded this country and so we have christian customs, etc. as part of our society.
It wasn't done on purpose to exclude.

Old 10-02-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If this country was founded by Jewish people then we'd be talking about "Jewish privilege".

No one put any religion over another. It just so happens it was the religion of the founding fathers so it was incorporated into our daily lives.

It's the way history evolved. Christians founded this country and so we have christian customs, etc. as part of our society.
But it often does.

You do realize...I hope...that there are some countries where christians are the ones complaining about how they are treated. But, I guess your message to them is "suck it up".

Old 10-02-2022, 03:35 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

You are absolutely correct. But if it was founded by Jews and had Jewish privelege would Christians recognize that? Would Jews?

No one said it was done in purpose or for bad reasons. It is simply a fact of life. Same if it was founded by the Chinese and most immigrants were Chinese, they would have a bit of advatage over Europeons. But that is not what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality