Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 02:05 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The larger point is that this is acceptable and customary in the United States. I wonder if Christians in the middle east routinely ask people they have just met if they have "found a church home."

I bet not.
Not everywhere, though. Nobody in New Jersey would ask you that. It's a Bible Belt thing.

I actually used to roll my eyes when people claimed that happened, because it sounded fake to me, but then enough people on this forum said they had experienced it. Almost all of them lived in Bible Belt/fundamentalist Christian parts of the country.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:12 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue29 View Post
Oh, that is easy. The Bible is the inerrant word of God and was given to us in the 4th Century CE by the Catholic church.
I've enjoyed your posts thus far. I hope you stick around these boards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 03:04 PM

1,750 posts, read 752,952 times
Mormons are openly ridiculed, and they are Christian.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:28 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
IIRC, the *one* thing all other Christian ecumenical bodies could agree on was that Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses were not Christian. Of course, that does not speak to the hearts and minds of individual Christians, (and as a Jewish atheist I have absolutely no dog in that fight ).

Old 11-15-2022, 03:36 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
How do you intend to use the ammunition I provided to oppose Christianity?
I don't have to do anything. You just need to keep talking.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:53 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't have to do anything. You just need to keep talking.
Aww, that's no fun. Have it your way.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:11 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ is Truth. The reality of who He is has been definitively established by His Resurrection. He established a visible society.

This Truth is established to sufficient degree to impose it upon the entire world, and it indeed was done for a time over a large portion of the world (Christendom).
And a large portion of that time has been named the "Dark Ages"!!! Your views and beliefs are absurd and monstrously dangerous to society should anyone ever be able to achieve what you desire. It is a preposterous idea that ANY human or group of humans has the inerrant Truth from God such that imposing it on society would be mandatory!

The Truth is that God Himself would probably not want it imposed or forced. Coercion does not alter the composition of one's soul or spirit which makes it pointless. Only humans consider it useful to control others behaviorally.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:30 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue29 View Post
The Dark Ages were a time when the Light of the World shined on the Earth from the City of God a top a hill.
There is a word to describe your commentary and contributions to this discussion but we are not permitted to use it!

Old 11-15-2022, 06:09 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Romans 13 cannot be used to claim that all governments are legitimate by default, full stop. That would be nonsensical and would open up quite the can of worms. Also, even a legitimate ruler can be wrong and issue false decrees.
Yes. Romans 13 essentially says, "We don't do rebellions (in case the Emperor is listening)."

Old 11-15-2022, 06:31 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
They self identify as such, but it depends on what your definition of Christianity is.

If it is "one who subscribes to the historic Christian creeds", any honest Mormon will tell you they do not, in toto. They see themselves as a corrective / reformist movement that undoes certain errors in Christian dogma. (So do the JWs, who are both non-trinitarian and annihilationist).

If it is "one who believes Jesus to be the son of god" or "one who accepts the bible as a holy book" then yes.

If it is "one who identifies as a Christian" then definitely.

I have no skin in this game and am happy to consider the Mormons Christian, but a lot of Christians beg to differ. I suspect on the other hand many simply don't understand their own core teachings, much less those of the Mormons -- so they don't mind it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality