Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 09:52 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times

Advertisements

A concept (actually a reality) that is harmful to the American nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_privilege
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 11:40 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
That's a very well-written article. It's very good at describing the structural advantages of a dominant religion in any society, and the ways in which it retains those structural and exclusive privileges at the expense of the Other.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That's a very well-written article. It's very good at describing the structural advantages of a dominant religion in any society, and the ways in which it retains those structural and exclusive privileges at the expense of the Other.
Yes, I thought it was a well-done summary.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:25 PM

https://everydayfeminism.com/2016/01...ian-privilege/

Old 09-27-2022, 09:57 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
rent-free

Old 09-27-2022, 10:00 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Unknown.

With Ignore in full bloom, I see the Mordant and BF posts exclusively.

I'm privileged to write the above. Make it a fun day folks. Overblown seriousness killed the cat and wrecked the ship.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:28 AM

https://study.com/academy/lesson/wha...-examples.html

Also, below, an interesting Power Point, but I couldn't figure out how to copy the web address...so Google this: Thinking through Christian Privilege - CSUSM

Old 09-27-2022, 02:15 PM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
rent-free
I think the best evidence of Christian Privilege particularly in our part of the country is the inevitable "Have you found a church home" that you get from anybody you meet after you move to a new town.

Atheists don't get to go around saying "Have you figured out that God is just a figment of your imagination yet?"

It would be rude to do so. And any Christian would tell you that as would probably 99% of atheists.

But Christians don't see it as being rude when they ask about the "church home thing" even though it is really uncomfortable to deal with for non- believers. The funny thing is that Christians see it as a nice thing to do.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:27 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
But Christians don't see it as being rude when they ask about the "church home thing" even though it is really uncomfortable to deal with for non- believers. The funny thing is that Christians see it as a nice thing to do.
I see it as social triangulation. Are you in-group or out-group? Are you a compatriot or a mark? Are you safe or unsafe? If 99% of the time the answer is the name of a church, then they probably don't worry much about the other 1% being offended.

Here's a parallel outside of religion. Ironically, by the lights of most Europeans, Americans are terribly boorish in that the first question out of their mouth tends to be, "so what do you do for a living"? I never considered this boorish or an attempt to shame anyone should they have a "lowly" job or something, it is just what I was socialized to do. But since most of the world finds that an impertinent question, I do it much less than I used to, and I never lead with it anymore. It's just a function of believing people when they tell you it makes them uncomfortable, and being respectful. Though to be honest I still think that the malfunction with it is less a matter of real faux-pas, than it is just what people are socialized to expect. In the US in "polite company" one never discusses religion or sex, and in the rest of the world, I guess they don't discuss work either. Probably because they don't look at work like we do, as some all-consuming source of identity and accomplishment. It is a necessary evil so they can get on with their actual life. We could learn something form that, lol.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:42 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A concept (actually a reality) that is harmful to the American nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_privilege
Im agnostic, but it doesnt bother me that most people I encounter are Christian. I dont consider myself "unprivileged" because of it. Most countries have a main religion, or least they used to, so why shouldn't the US?

Do Hindu nations worry about their Hindu privilege? Do Muslim nations fret about their Muslim privilege? Should they?

It feels like every shred of culture and past historical norm is trying to be wiped out in the US. I realize we're called a "melting pot," but I do often wonder if other countries are ashamed of their culture and their various majority groups the way many Americans seem to be.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality