Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 12:59 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,571 times

Advertisements

I am seeing many modern day prophets whom I believe are correctly addressing Gods messages to us.
Case in point. I happen to live in a city that an evangelist/prophet visited this city in 2007. I move to that city in 1980.

I had not found a home church but did visit a few churches in town. One in particular was interesting in that for the first time I had heard someone speak in an unknown tongue. After the word was spoken someone else gave an interpretation.

It made allot of sense to me because it wasn't just words but rather words that reflected a message using biblical stories with applications to current issues.

Well, after years later I had stumbled upon a preacher who was having a worship service in the city in the year 2007. And it was at one of the churches I had visited. The one in particular where the speaking in tongues happened.

Moderator cut: We don't discuss politics or politicians on the Religion and Spirituality forums.

Did that make a believer of me about modern day prophets? Absolutely yes! For I found out that God can not be boxed in to man made boxes of beliefs where God is limited within those boxes.

God said the following: 1Co_1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

Also: Amos 3:7
“For the Lord God does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.

God is taking to us via His prophets. Take time to investigate your beliefs and watch what is happening all around. Seek His face in prayer for He will not let you down.

You may respond to this post about your concerns.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-04-2022 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Reference to politicians removed.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:24 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Well that is very magnanimous of you to give me permission to respond -- in a public forum designed for just that purpose. But whatevs.

My main "concern" is that anyone claiming to be speaking for god -- whether overtly as a "prophet" or through some spiritual gift or more subtly just quoting Bible verses and claiming anyone with a different understanding of those verses is opposing god himself -- is doing just that. Making a claim. I can spout some random thing and claim god told me. I can do so in a way that at least superficially doesn't contradict scripture or dogma. It doesn't mean anything IMO.

With this kind of thing going on you just have people making emotionally manipulative claims which, generally, they can't evidence in any meaningful way.

Most of Christianity is very wary of this kind of thing. It is only the holiness / pentecostal / charismatic folks who get really comfortable with it. Some compartments of Christianity -- my former one included -- see great danger in relying on "personal experience" to validate truth, as they are highly prone to what we called "deception" and which is more rationally termed "confirmation bias".

There is plenty of mischief in citing scripture as it is, because scripture has to pass through some sort of hermeneutic lens -- an interpretational system for "correctly understanding" it -- and there are dozens of them that are mutually exclusive on critical matters. So even that is not the objective source of capital-T Truth it's claimed to be.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:25 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well that is very magnanimous of you to give me permission to respond -- in a public forum designed for just that purpose. But whatevs.

My main "concern" is that anyone claiming to be speaking for god -- whether overtly as a "prophet" or through some spiritual gift or more subtly just quoting Bible verses and claiming anyone with a different understanding of those verses is opposing god himself -- is doing just that. Making a claim. I can spout some random thing and claim god told me. I can do so in a way that at least superficially doesn't contradict scripture or dogma. It doesn't mean anything IMO.

With this kind of thing going on you just have people making emotionally manipulative claims which, generally, they can't evidence in any meaningful way.

Most of Christianity is very wary of this kind of thing. It is only the holiness / pentecostal / charismatic folks who get really comfortable with it. Some compartments of Christianity -- my former one included -- see great danger in relying on "personal experience" to validate truth, as they are highly prone to what we called "deception" and which is more rationally termed "confirmation bias".

There is plenty of mischief in citing scripture as it is, because scripture has to pass through some sort of hermeneutic lens -- an interpretational system for "correctly understanding" it -- and there are dozens of them that are mutually exclusive on critical matters. So even that is not the objective source of capital-T Truth it's claimed to be.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:24 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
A person can speak accurately about God, but not be a "prophet". That title shouldn't be dispensed so easily, like candy.

We don't even need to be clutching to titles and identifiers for people. We're all just human beings.

Old 10-04-2022, 02:56 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
I am seeing many modern day prophets whom I believe are correctly addressing Gods messages to us.
Case in point. I happen to live in a city that an evangelist/prophet visited this city in 2007. I move to that city in 1980.

I had not found a home church but did visit a few churches in town. One in particular was interesting in that for the first time I had heard someone speak in an unknown tongue. After the word was spoken someone else gave an interpretation.

It made allot of sense to me because it wasn't just words but rather words that reflected a message using biblical stories with applications to current issues.

Well, after years later I had stumbled upon a preacher who was having a worship service in the city in the year 2007. And it was at one of the churches I had visited. The one in particular where the speaking in tongues happened.

Moderator cut: We don't discuss politics or politicians on the Religion and Spirituality forums.

Did that make a believer of me about modern day prophets? Absolutely yes! For I found out that God can not be boxed in to man made boxes of beliefs where God is limited within those boxes.

God said the following: 1Co_1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

Also: Amos 3:7
“For the Lord God does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.

God is taking to us via His prophets. Take time to investigate your beliefs and watch what is happening all around. Seek His face in prayer for He will not let you down.

I'd be curious to hear who this "prophet" is. The Biblical standard for a prophet is to be 100% correct in any prophesy given. I'd like to look at his track record.

That said, there are a lot of guys (and women) running around claiming to speak for God and I don't believe he'd claim them.

Old 10-04-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'd be curious to hear who this "prophet" is. The Biblical standard for a prophet is to be 100% correct in any prophesy given. I'd like to look at his track record.

That said, there are a lot of guys (and women) running around claiming to speak for God and I don't believe he'd claim them.
Some argue that the office of the prophet is not one of fore-telling but of "forth-telling", which would make any pastor a "prophet". Which begs the question, why use that word. Gives people big heads, if you ask me.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:44 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
I'm curious as to how we identify a "modern day prophet" relative to time.

Is a modern day prophet just anyone post Biblical or is it 20th century prophets, Or somewhere in between.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:35 AM

212 posts, read 230,636 times
^^^earlier than 20th century. The YouTube channel Whatifalthist recently did a video about the future, saying that figures like Marx and Nietzsche are revered in a way that Jesus was 150 -200 years after his death. I think that is true. I find the typical Western Marxist to be as insufferable as someone preaching the Bible on the train

Then there’s someone like Jordan Peterson who gets called “The Great Jordan Peterson,” which is a bit much for someone with so much biased, shortsighted material out there

Old 10-05-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'm curious as to how we identify a "modern day prophet" relative to time.

Is a modern day prophet just anyone post Biblical or is it 20th century prophets, Or somewhere in between.
I take its unforced meaning to be "present day" or at most "recent history" as in 19th & 20th centuries. but I'm with Dann that anyone really should have to stand the test of time a little more than that to be elevated from culture hero to prophet or seer or some other grandiose title. In the evangelical world it is thrown around pretty casually, applied to people like Kenneth Hagan, and hilarity ensues.

Also I think the context of the OP is not Marx, Engles, etc., he's talking about who to follow in Christianity, which to me is the wrong question to be asking before answering, "should I be following anyone uncritically" and "is religious faith of the Christian variety a valid epistemology?"

Old 10-05-2022, 10:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Some argue that the office of the prophet is not one of fore-telling but of "forth-telling", which would make any pastor a "prophet". Which begs the question, why use that word. Gives people big heads, if you ask me.
Yes. And I'd agree with that. But when one says "thus saith the Lord" and proceeds to say what will happen...and it's wrong, he's a false prophet.

As for a pastor being a prophet? In a sense, that's true. But again, any pastor who claims he is speaking for God had better get it right, and he'd better be correct in his doctrine, as God would not contradict himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality