Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2022, 11:29 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Small world? Not very spread out? Everyone lived on one Continent? And even if they had, I read a story about the water wells being dug in Yemen and within that story, their part of Yemen wasn't under war conflict and they said, if people were not talking about it, they wouldn't even know a war was going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The darkness is a complete fiction. No culture in any part of the world records a strange darkness that filled their land in the middle of the day. Certainly Philo of Alexandria who was the greatest Jewish scholar and historian of that time and was in Jerusalem when all these events were supposedly taking place would have said something about the earthquake, the darkness and especially about the zombies rising out of their graves and marching on Jerusalem. He doesn't say a word about any of it. Come on, Ellis--you can't be that naive that you can so easily explain away such a glaring omission in Philo's writings.
You can't be that naive to believe the world was really that small, that everyone everywhere would know everything going on, all over the world at any particular time in one spot.

Philo of Alexandria would not be interested (imo) in recording that that you think he should have. Damn they should have had a crystal ball to know what would be important to people 10,000 years into the future.

btw: you do know that at the time of the event, the written word was not common place among people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 11:57 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
So a dinosaur (male-female) out of range couldn't survive?
Some of the smaller ones did. They evolved into the birds that we see today.

It wouldn't hurt you to do some studying on the subject.

https://www.livescience.com/are-birds-dinosaurs.html

Quote:
I can see that ... got another one for you based on that story. God told Noah, that he wouldn't destroy much of the world by flood again (based on my memory, not looking at the Book) the next time would be by fire and nothing would be saved. (those out of range of that flood survived)
In the biblical flood story only eight people (Noah and family) survived the flood by riding it out on an ark. But again, it was only a story and never happened.
Quote:
In 7th grade (70s) Mr. Lively's science class (amazing what one can remember) he said that according to Newton (law of motion) the earth was moving, every so slightly, but moving none-the-less towards the sun. If all that man was trying to do was get the class's attention --- he did manage to do that. But is it true? I can't say for sure, yes or no.
No. Not true. In fact the opposite is the case. According to NASA the earth is slowly moving away from the sun due both to the fact that the sun is slowly losing mass which means the gravitational pull on the earth is getting weaker and because the earth's gravitational pull on the sun creates a tidal bulge on the side of the sun facing earth. This results in a sling shot effect on the earth as the earth is tugged ahead in its orbit in the same way that earth's moon is being tugged ahead in its orbit and is slowly moving away from the earth.

https://www.livescience.com/is-earth...er-farther-sun
Quote:
But from that, I guess you know my thoughts on, climate change, as well as a Book that was written inspired by God.
No, I don't know your thoughts on either of them. I haven't read your other posts.

Old 12-10-2022, 12:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Your response is what Ehrman is saying to atheists.

In short, the majority of scholars, whether religious or secular, accept the historicity of Jesus. This is regardless of the objections raised about the true authorship of various parts of the Bible, its historical accuracy, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You need to explain what I bolded.
Jesus was real. His existence is based on historical authenticity.

Old 12-10-2022, 12:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
It's great that person wrote a book, however, that person will never get through to the person, who has experienced (like Martin Luther) the Holy Spirit, personally. The church began loosing their power (to create laws) over people's lives when people like Martin Luther challenged them. And people like the author you brought to the argument, will never gain power over those who have a personal relationship with God.

We are at an impasse.

I can say without any rancor or vitriol: if a person gets off hallucinating about Jesus and finding some fulfillment in the pleasurable brain chemicals that flood their brain, that's well and good. Life in this miserable world is hard enough without getting some sort of pleasurable experience to get us through to the end of a very difficult day. My philosophy: use whatever you can get your hands on whether it be sex, drugs, rock-n-roll and yes, even Jesus to help you get through this difficult, often ugly life. Getting to the end of a day with your sanity intact is a miracle in itself. Use anything at your disposal to accomplish this.

Old 12-10-2022, 01:46 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

You did not respond to what I asked...which was:

"You need to explain what I bolded.

If you mean that the majority of scholars accept that Jesus was a real man, yes.
If you mean that the majority of scholars accept every tale told about Jesus in the bible, then I think you're way wrong. Way, way wrong. I think you're wrong if you think they accept the resurrection, as well."

Old 12-10-2022, 02:04 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,792,109 times
Quote:
I can say without any rancor or vitriol: if a person gets off hallucinating about Jesus and finding some fulfillment in the pleasurable brain chemicals that flood their brain, that's well and good. Life in this miserable world is hard enough without getting some sort of pleasurable experience to get us through to the end of a very difficult day. My philosophy: use whatever you can get your hands on whether it be sex, drugs, rock-n-roll and yes, even Jesus to help you get through this difficult, often ugly life. Getting to the end of a day with your sanity intact is a miracle in itself. Use anything at your disposal to accomplish this.
Ugly life?

What a shame...

Even when I was homeless, I didn't see this life as "ugly."

Are there ugly things that go on? Of course. The media doesn't talk much about the good stuff. Heck, even the average 'Joe' often doesn't talk about the good stuff.

I've known too many people who seemed to have "had it ALL", yet they only focus on the ONE THING that they don't have...

...as if we all "deserve" to have this great life, simply because we exist.

You've complained mega-times before about how there are people who are missing limbs...and how "horrible" it is that they are. But have you ever asked THEM how they feel?

Bethany Hamilton comes to mind. Lost her arm in a shark attack. Is she wallowing in pity? No. She's Christian, and happy as a lark. Going on to win surfing events even after a shark severed her arm.

How about Nick Vijucic? One born without arms or legs. Went on to marry...and have 4 children...AND, to become a prominent motivational speaker?

Or, Helen Keller? Blind and deaf, almost from birth?

And what about the people who have had these tragedies happen who aren't famous? Do you REALLY believe that ALL of them are wallowing in self-pity?

Hamilton, Vijucic and Keller are only a few who have relied on GOD to get them through. And really thrill, who are YOU to deny their personal relationship with God, and YES IT IS a personal relationship!

Sorry thrill, but just because *you* haven't had much of an experience with God--or denied that it was with God--doesn't mean that others haven't had that.

The kind of love and peace that *I* felt with my own experience, wasn't some "hallucination." It was BEYOND what we call "love." And just because *you* never felt it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It's really a shame that you're so jaded by life, and your prior experiences that you just can't understand that others have had experiences beyond your own.

There's a popular saying goes, "God, SHOW ME, and I'll believe. And God says, "BELIEVE, and I'll SHOW YOU."

Seems that you're the former, and even if God SHOWED you, you STILL wouldn't believe...

Actually, God has probably ALREADY showed you, and you didn't believe.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:39 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
"I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it" indicates brain priming IMO.

Old 12-10-2022, 05:45 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
]
Quote:
Rose, do you firmly believe that there is only ONE way to get to heaven and that is through believing Jesus is your savior?
No, I do not —- do you even read my posts ???….

I’ve repeated often that I’m NOT religious, yet quite spiritual — I’m probably closest to the universalist type of philosophy. I just wrote that there are other portals to experiencing God besides Jesus. Mine was through Jesus, but my husbands opening was through Advaita.

Last edited by mountainrose; 12-10-2022 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-10-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
]

No, I do not —- do you even read my posts ???….

I’ve repeated often that I’m NOT religious, yet quite spiritual — I’m probably closest to the universalist type of philosophy. I just wrote that there are other portals to experiencing God besides Jesus. Mine was through Jesus, but my husbands opening was through Advaita.

I suspected you didn't, rose. I just wanted to make sure. Mystic, for example presents these way out non-Christian theories but bristles if someone suggests Jesus never lived. You never know around here HOW a person really thinks.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:

This is a crock. There is no historical evidence for Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality