Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2022, 11:14 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Everything you're saying is not historically verifiable. That makes it all mythology, chief--the serpent, Israelites entering the promised land, it's all mythology.
Here again I think you go too far. That some things are not verifiable does not necessarily mean they didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 11:31 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here again I think you go too far. That some things are not verifiable does not necessarily mean they didn't happen.
With respect to the Exodus and Moses, there's literally no archeological or extra-biblical / historical attestation to those persons and events. WRT to the creation myth, talking snakes and the like is clearly mythical.

I think in this PARTICULAR context, his statements are not overdetermined. On some others, I wouldn't go as far as he does nor with the scorched earth tactics. But ... he's not me and he has staked his claim. [shrug]

Old 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
The billions of people over time convinced of his existence greatly outweigh those arguing that he didn't exist.

That's a reality you can't change either, though we know you'll try

The community of tongues have this for you and your laughable ways:

Old 10-18-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The billions of people over time convinced of his existence greatly outweigh those arguing that he didn't exist.

That doesn't prove anything.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:05 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I agree. I cannot say definitively it did not happen just like you and I cannot say definitively God doesn't exist. It's simply a matter of evaluating the evidence and coming to a personal conclusion.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I agree. I cannot say definitively it did not happen just like you and I cannot say definitively God doesn't exist. It's simply a matter of evaluating the evidence and coming to a personal conclusion.
ok

Old 10-18-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:

You don't quote so I have no idea who this is directed to but I can assume it's directed to me given your past and present hostilities.

Yes, billions of dumb uneducated people have been deceived by the the Church's deviousness over the last 2000 years and continue to be deceived right up to present company . But there is a very good reason for this: for the last 2000 years the Church squelched all opposition to the Jesus mythology they were pushing and murdered people who opposed them. That's a pretty strong deterrent.

But they wouldn't tell people the truth about Jesus--that they didn't have a nickel's worth of evidence he existed. Instead they deliberately deceived people about Jesus as I amply demonstrated:

Quote:
Let's have a look at some of the attitudes of the early church fathers about falsehoods starting with Paul:
"For if the truth of God hath more abounded by my falsehoods unto his glory, why yet am I also adjudged a sinner?" St. Paul, Romans 3.7.
Or Eusebius:

"How it may be Lawful and Fitting to use Falsehood as a Medicine, and for the Benefit of those who Want to be Deceived." 32nd Chapter of his 12th Book of Evangelical Preparation

Or Clement of Alexandria who apparently had his own definition of what truth should be:
"Not all true things are the truth, nor should that truth which merely seems true according to human opinions be preferred to the true truth, that according to the faith."
– Clement (quoted by M. Smith, Clement of Alexandria, p446)
Or John Chrysostom, 5th century theologian and bishop of Constantinople

>>>>>>>>"Do you see the advantage of deceit? ...<<<<<<<<<<

For great is the value of deceit, provided it be not introduced with a mischievous intention. In fact action of this kind ought not to be called deceit, but rather a kind of good management, cleverness and skill, capable of finding out ways where resources fail, and making up for the defects of the mind ...

And often it is necessary to deceive, and to do the greatest benefits by means of this device, whereas he who has gone by a straight course has done great mischief to the person whom he has not deceived."

– Chrysostom, Treatise On The Priesthood, Book 1.
Or Tertullian writing that Pilate had converted to Christianity:

All these things Pilate did to Christ; and now in fact a Christian in his own convictions,

he sent word of Him to the reigning Caesar, who was at the time Tiberius.

– Tertullian Apol. xxi and Anti-Nicene Fathers, iii, 35.

Do you still think the early church fathers were that honest that they would never tell a lie?

So it's amply demonstrated by your own church leaders that they encouraged using lies and deceit to fool people into believing Jesus was real.

But Jesus Christ wasn't real as I have amply demonstrated:

"There is no definitive physical or archaeological evidence of the existence of Jesus. “There's nothing conclusive..."

"There are clearly good reasons to doubt Jesus' historical existence. ... There are no existing eyewitness or contemporary accounts of Jesus."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...oesnt-hold-up/

Add to that all the correlations I showed between Jesus and a half dozen other mythical men-gods:

Mother is a royal virgin descended from royalty

*Jesus' mother, virgin Mary was descended from royalty--ancestor king David
*Hercules' mother, virgin Alcmene was descended from royalty--ancestor King Perseus
*Romulus' mother, virgin Rhea Silvia was descended from royalty--ancestor King Aeneas

Unusual conception

*Jesus' mother, Mary impregnated by the Holy Spirit
*Hercules' mother, Alcmeme impregnated by god, Zeus
*Romulus' mother, Rhea Silvia impregnated by god, Mars
*Horus, mother, Isis impregnated by god, Osiris
*Attis' mother, Nana impregnated by an almond resting on her bosom

Hero reputed to be son of god

*Jesus the son of Christian god, Yahweh
*Dionysus the son of Greek god, Zeus
*Attis the son of river god, Sangarius
*Hercules son of Greek god, Zeus
*Romulus son of Roman god, Mars

Quote:
Claims against the existence of Jesus
* No one has physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works
of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts.
* No contemporary Roman record shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus.
* All accounts of Jesus came after his death in the NT writings. They are all hearsay.
* The story of Jesus parallels pagan savior gods.
* We do not know who wrote the Gospels.
* None of the Gospels existed during the alleged life of Jesus.
* None of the original Gospel manuscripts exists

#6 Attempt to kill hero as an infant

This one is a dead-giveaway that the Jesus of the gospels is a mythical figure.

* Herod attempts to kill infant Jesus
* Pharaoh attempts to kill infant Moses (stolen from the Old Testament)
* Juno attempts to kill infant Hercules by putting two snakes in his crib
* Putana attempts to kill infant Krishna by smearing poison on her breasts when Krishna nurses
* Hera attempts to kill infant Dionysus by tricking Zeus into killing his mother, Semele

Quote:
Virtually every mythical man-god hero's legend has someone trying to kill him as an infant. Jesus is no exception.

How could this be any other than the gospel writers were borrowing from earlier legends of men-gods when they constructed the Jesus myth??????

So as people can see there's ample evidence to conclude Jesus Christ was no more than a myth constructed by men to service their own personal needs for maintaining the wealth and power they had accumulated pushing the Jesus myth.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-18-2022 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-18-2022, 02:23 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:

Lol -- no one is arguing that lots of people don't assume of the existence of Jesus or Moses or any number of things. Until now, I'm not aware anyone was arguing that popularity automatically makes any belief justified, much less correct, either. Many beliefs I very much doubt that you hold were at one time popular, too. That there are 3 or 4 elements, that leeches are good medical treatments or that the earth is the center of the universe, for example. Common knowledge / common sense has been mistaken before, and will be mistaken again.

But you go right on being juvenile about it ... that ought to add an even greater veneer of truthiness and respectability to a belief system that you can't find a better argument for than a raspberry.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol -- no one is arguing that lots of people don't assume of the existence of Jesus or Moses or any number of things. Until now, I'm not aware anyone was arguing that popularity automatically makes any belief justified, much less correct, either. Many beliefs I very much doubt that you hold were at one time popular, too. That there are 3 or 4 elements, that leeches are good medical treatments or that the earth is the center of the universe, for example. Common knowledge / common sense has been mistaken before, and will be mistaken again.

But you go right on being juvenile about it ... that ought to add an even greater veneer of truthiness and respectability to a belief system that you can't find a better argument for than a raspberry.

Trying to defend a myth inevitably brings on frustration, desperation and an overwhelming sense of helplessness. In absence of any real evidence for Jesus to show us, Christians must resort to insults, ridicule and other juvenile behaviors. It's more to make themselves feel better than anything else. But that's okay. Every time Thoreau jabs me it's an opportunity to respond with the mountains of proof the Jesus of the gospels never existed as I did in post #258.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:22 PM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Quote:
There's an old expression,”If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck then it's a duck.”
Quote:
Everything you're saying is not historically verifiable. That makes it all mythology, chief--the serpent, Israelites entering the promised land, it's all mythology.
When looking past the facades of many over the years,... If it speaks with a forked tongue, lying and beguiling. Trying to inject poison or constrict a person, seeking control to the point of extinguishing spirit, then it is a serpent by fallen nature.

I have to say that over the years I have seen many talking snakes that tried to appear as an Angel of light.

Last edited by chief scum; 10-18-2022 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality