Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2022, 05:37 PM

18,195 posts, read 16,797,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
over the years I have seen many talking snakes that tried to appear as an Angel of light.

Hallucinations?

Christians, have you ever wondered why I am allowed to blaspheme God and Jesus over and over and over and over on this forum and still wake up every morning to come on and post some more blasphemous materials? Ask yourselves, "Why doesn't God stop him or take him out?" There's a very good reason: Jesus doesn't exist. A myth cannot lay a finger on me. My life just goes on and on as if Jesus, if he exists, simply couldn't care less what I say about him here. And if he doesn't exist again it would explain why I am still here. That should be answer enough for Christians wondering why I am still around.

Oh yes, I know--the inevitable threat, "You'll get yours on the day of judgement."

Not likely, I hate to break the news.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-18-2022 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 05:49 PM

32,961 posts, read 26,194,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Hallucinations?

Christians, have you ever wondered why I am allowed to blaspheme God and Jesus over and over and over and over on this forum and still wake up every morning to come on and post some more blasphemous materials? Ask yourselves, "Why doesn't God stop him or take him out?"
He's too busy laughing at you.

Old 10-18-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post

I"m laughing too.

Old 10-18-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:

And I'm glad you mention that, Mike because it calls to mind Psalm 2:

"The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them."

Or is it "him"?

Old 10-18-2022, 06:06 PM

Your entire argument is faulty for the simple reason that the apostles, which you claim didn't exist, and others, believed that they saw the risen Jesus, and historians who do Jesus studies recognize this. Now the fact that they believed they saw the risen Jesus doesn't necessarily mean that they actually did, but even critical scholars recognize that they saw something which they took to be the risen Jesus.

And the fact that they believed they saw the risen Jesus means that they didn't intentionally set out to create a mythical character patterned after other mythical characters.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:22 PM

50,319 posts, read 23,909,290 times
Quote:
Your entire argument is faulty for the simple reason that the apostles, which you claim didn't exist, and others, believed that they saw the risen Jesus, and historians who do Jesus studies recognize this. Now the fact that they believed they saw the risen Jesus doesn't necessarily mean that they actually did, but even critical scholars recognize that they saw something which they took to be the risen Jesus.

And the fact that they believed they saw the risen Jesus means that they didn't intentionally set out to create a mythical character patterned after other mythical characters.
So that's what all the critical scholars believe?

Old 10-18-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...I recall you telling me this once before but it's too many posts back and I'm too lazy to look it up. Nevertheless, I'll respond to it this time: your phrase, "historians who do Jesus studies recognize this" because who are the historians you refer to, Christian historians? Naturally they recognize the apostles saw Jesus resurrected because they have skin in the game. But talk to some secular historians and they might say "The apostles were hallucinating." Now when people hallucinate they do see something. But it's all in their head. IF the apostles were real and IF they saw something, it definitely was NOT the risen Christ because we know from science that dead bodies don't reanimate especially after three days in a tomb. if they do walk out of the tomb it's because they weren't dead to begin with.

By the way were you aware of this tidbit: a historian, Justus of Tiberias, who was a native of Galilee, wrote a history that touched the period of Jesus' lifetime. The history is lost, and normally that would be the end of the story. But SURPRISE! Christian scholar Photius read it in the ninth century and expressed amazement that it contained "not the least mention of the appearance of the Christ".

Old 10-18-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

By the way were you aware of this tidbit: a historian, Justus of Tiberias, who was a native of Galilee, wrote a history that touched the period of Jesus' lifetime. The history is lost, and normally that would be the end of the story. But SURPRISE! Christian scholar Photius read it in the ninth century and expressed amazement that it contained "not the least mention of the appearance of the Christ".

This would be in line with Philo of Alexandria who was in and out of Jerusalem in 27-30 CE when Jesus was working his miracles and causing earthquakes and causing zombie saints to rise out of their tombs and march on Jerusalem and Philo doesn't mention Jesus Christ once in his writings.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So that's what all the critical scholars believe?
I'm sure not 'ALL', but many do. Two who come to mind are E. P. Sanders and Paula Fredriksen. Neither believe in miracles but are convinced that the disciples believed they saw Jesus alive again after his crucifixion.

Here's a list of other scholars, some critical, some not, who are convinced that Jesus' earliest followers believed they saw the risen Jesus.

https://jamesbishopblog.com/2015/06/...s-by-scholars/

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-18-2022 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-18-2022, 10:40 PM

50,319 posts, read 23,909,290 times
Quote:
I'm sure not 'ALL', but many do. Two who come to mind are E. P. Sanders and Paula Fredriksen. Neither believe in miracles but are convinced that the disciples believed they saw Jesus alive again after his crucifixion.

Here's a list of other scholars, some critical, some not, who are convinced that Jesus' earliest followers believed they saw the risen Jesus.

https://jamesbishopblog.com/2015/06/...s-by-scholars/
But I don't care what they think they saw. I only care what they actually saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality