Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 12:06 AM

840 posts, read 772,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused2022 View Post
But back to the topic at hand. As far as what "the committee" has decided. I'm on the committee and not once has there been a discussion about a masked singer portion of the bruncheon. Like I say, if everyone on the committee were doing a costume and singing then I'd have no problem doing it. But in this case no one on the committee are doing it. This girl is taking the opportunity to try to get me to sing.

Why are you telling US what you should be telling HER . . . ?

Learn to be ASSERTIVE, and to NOT feel guilty about it. Period.

Moderator cut: Thanks, but we're OK without your help.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-16-2022 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 10:46 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused2022 View Post
GM all. I've got a bit of a dilemma here I want some input on. My wife and I joined a new church a few years ago and since then I have become very active. At my last church which was the church I was born and raised in I was also very active but when we left I decided that I really didn't want to get so involved into everything and was determined to just go, join, sit, and enjoy the services.

A few weeks after joining the praise and worship leader asked me and my wife if we were singers. She's a nice girl some years younger than my wife and I and I told her I use to sing but had transitioned from that to more so church administration. I hadn't sung on a choir or group in a number of years at that point. My wife sort of threw me under the bus by telling her I had lead a few songs back in the day. I hadn't sung in a while because I was burnt out of singing.

And it seems that ever since then every time there's an event this young woman comes to me and asks me to join the choir or she has the perfect song for me. Yeah, I did sing once with a group of guys for the pastor's birthday surprise a year or so ago. He likes quartet music so we did a medley of a few songs. No, I didn't lead any of them. It was fun and the entire congregation got a big kick out of it.

I'm now a deacon and I serve on several committees. My wife doesn't really do anything. It's a fairly small church, maybe 100-200 members if that much. We didn't want to go join one of those larger churches so when we visited this one we really liked it. Last year the pastor asked me to be on the planning committee for his pastoral and church anniversary. I was honored to be a part of it. We had a formal gala with tuxedos and ball gowns, the whole 9 yards.

This year he has asked me to serve again on the committee along with 3 other individuals. The weekend event is coming up in a few weeks. Ok, the committee and I have discussed a weekend full of stuff. A concert that Fri night. A bruncheon and awards ceremony that Sat. Then the final day on Sunday. For the bruncheon a few weeks ago we toyed around with the idea of getting a couple of youths to do a mock service and imitate our pastor and first lady.

Names were thrown around as far as who might be willing to do it. Then it seemed like there was no more talk of that. The event is next weekend, about 9 days away. Sunday I get a text from another member of the planning committee, the praise and worship leader, and she told me they had been discussing doing a Masked Singer type of thing for the bruncheon and my name had been suggested to be one of the masked singers.

First of all, I'm on the committee and I was not in any discussions about doing a masked singer type of thing at the bruncheon. And secondly, if there are three other people on the committee who else would have / could have nominated me but this one girl? These discussions are not open to the general congregation so I'm sure this is just another attempt for this girl to get me to sing. Again, the event is less than 2 weeks away and even if I said yes to this I'd have to come up with a consume, a mask, a song, etc.

My thing is this. IF the other members of the committee were all going to participate then I'd have no problem joining in. But the thing is this, none of them are. She didn't say "we all are doing it". She just said that I had been nominated. Then she prefaced it by saying, "You can do a fake joking voice as well it don't have to be your real voice. It's supposed to be funny." Again, I'm on the committee and the day is going to be hectic enough trying to get a few hundred people seated and fed along with the awards presentations for me to quietly duck out and go get changed for a masked singer presentation. Like I say, if everyone on the committee is participating then I would have no problem doing it but none of them are.

Would you look at this as a fun event as in, "I'm willing to do anything for the pastor on his day/weekend" or would you look at this is she's just singling you out for no reason?
(I broke your post into smaller paragraphs to make it easier to read)

You seem to be feeling some resentment over first your wife and now "this one girl" trying to pressure you into doing something that you no longer wish to do. Just because this young lady has apparently decided that you should be nominated to perform as a masked singer doesn't mean you must accept the nomination whether you'd like to or not. It does sound as if your church has a fairly busy evening in the works. But even if it didn't and you still didn't want the masked singer role, God won't strike you dead for asserting yourself to this "praise and worship leader" who no doubt means well, but doesn't understand that she is trying to place a burden on you that is simply too much.

Let her and everyone else on the committee that you are flattered to be nominated, but (sadly) you already have as much on your plate as you can possibly handle. After all, I assume that this bruncheon thing is being held so that the congregation can better worship and honor God - not just for amusement alone. Tell them why you feel sticking with the original plan is the best thing for the congregation, the worship of God and you yourself.

Be polite and respectful to all, but stick firmly to your guns. You will be glad that you did. Good luck and God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality