Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 10:26 AM

29,377 posts, read 9,549,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
My 29 year old daughter came to visit me today. While we have kept in touch with phone calls/texts/emails/skype, we hadn't seen each other for 10 years.

We had a wonderful visit. Chit-chatting the whole day. She knows I'm Catholic and the conversation turned to Christianity.

I know she's not Christian. I have no issue with that. She DOES believe in God, and told me about a faith called "Baha'i." I never heard of it before, so I did a little research.

It sounds interesting, but it's also pretty new.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, and what it entails.

Many thanks in advance!
10 years? That's a long time for a mother and daughter not to see one another. I hope for no sad reasons...

It's been a very long time since I thought about the Baha'i faith, but probably over two decades ago, I met a young woman who operated a neat little cafe just outside a library I used to visit about once a week. I can't remember what clued me into the fact she was a follower of that faith, but we ended up talking quite a bit about it over time. She was one of the nicest, neatest, intelligent women I've had the pleasure to meet.

Otherwise, I always remember her, because I see Baha'i places of worship and/or welcome every now and then, here and there, which always remind me of that lady at that cafe. Good vibes, for whatever any of this is worth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 02:06 PM

88,206 posts, read 84,094,155 times
Quote:
My 29 year old daughter came to visit me today. While we have kept in touch with phone calls/texts/emails/skype, we hadn't seen each other for 10 years.

We had a wonderful visit. Chit-chatting the whole day. She knows I'm Catholic and the conversation turned to Christianity.

I know she's not Christian. I have no issue with that. She DOES believe in God, and told me about a faith called "Baha'i." I never heard of it before, so I did a little research.

It sounds interesting, but it's also pretty new.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, and what it entails.

Many thanks in advance!
Wow, ten years! Glad you got together. Longest I went without seeing mine was about a year and a half. She went to China to live then bounced around Asia and Europe, and then I flew and met her there. She explored Buddhism for a while, but it doesnt seem to have stuck. She wants nothing to do with Christianity after six years of dating the son of a fundamentalist preacher man through high school and into college. She didn't mind attending Xmas Eve at my Episcopal Church for a few years, though.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:10 AM

4,638 posts, read 1,763,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
10 years? That's a long time for a mother and daughter not to see one another. I hope for no sad reasons...

It's been a very long time since I thought about the Baha'i faith, but probably over two decades ago, I met a young woman who operated a neat little cafe just outside a library I used to visit about once a week. I can't remember what clued me into the fact she was a follower of that faith, but we ended up talking quite a bit about it over time. She was one of the nicest, neatest, intelligent women I've had the pleasure to meet.

Otherwise, I always remember her, because I see Baha'i places of worship and/or welcome every now and then, here and there, which always remind me of that lady at that cafe. Good vibes, for whatever any of this is worth...
Sad reasons? Well...yes and no. No, not sad because of issues between US, but yes sad, because of issues that have to do with her father. Let's just say that her dad is an alcoholic. He began having medical issues regarding his drinking, years ago. The last time he was hospitalized, it looked like we might lose him...he was in the hospital for almost a year. Dropped from 170 lbs. on his 5'10" frame to 95 lbs. When she was here, she showed me a picture of him. He looked so frail...and like he was 118 years old...at 61.

We tried to make plans to see each other throughout the years, but it always seemed like her dad's medical issues got in the way. And it's not like we didn't talk during that time. We'd chat on the phone for hours sometimes...text...email...Skype. She knows I want to move back east, but that now isn't the 'right' time. She loves the job she has, and has a boyfriend who she's crazy about. So...another 'delay'. So, there's that, in a nutshell.

I can't say that she's actually a follower of the Baha'i faith, but she really likes it. And, she's met a few people who do follow the faith, and has nothing but good things to say about them...prompting her, to look into it more.

When she was young, I wasn't that 'religious', even though I still held on to a few Catholic 'roots'. I told her that whatever faith she decides to follow--if ANY--I would support her. And yes, that includes atheism.

After all, we all gotta make our own way in life. Don't we...?

Old 10-25-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Sad reasons? Well...yes and no. No, not sad because of issues between US, but yes sad, because of issues that have to do with her father. Let's just say that her dad is an alcoholic. He began having medical issues regarding his drinking, years ago. The last time he was hospitalized, it looked like we might lose him...he was in the hospital for almost a year. Dropped from 170 lbs. on his 5'10" frame to 95 lbs. When she was here, she showed me a picture of him. He looked so frail...and like he was 118 years old...at 61.

We tried to make plans to see each other throughout the years, but it always seemed like her dad's medical issues got in the way. And it's not like we didn't talk during that time. We'd chat on the phone for hours sometimes...text...email...Skype. She knows I want to move back east, but that now isn't the 'right' time. She loves the job she has, and has a boyfriend who she's crazy about. So...another 'delay'. So, there's that, in a nutshell.

I can't say that she's actually a follower of the Baha'i faith, but she really likes it. And, she's met a few people who do follow the faith, and has nothing but good things to say about them...prompting her, to look into it more.

When she was young, I wasn't that 'religious', even though I still held on to a few Catholic 'roots'. I told her that whatever faith she decides to follow--if ANY--I would support her. And yes, that includes atheism.

After all, we all gotta make our own way in life. Don't we...?
All that about the father is what I would call a sad reason...

Good you kept in touch with your daughter despite the challenges. Atheism is not a faith, but I get what you mean. I wish all parents would give their kids the freedom to think and believe what they might without the influence of inculcation that tends to dominate the thinking of far too many people. We raised our children in an entirely non-religious home, and I'm always pleased to recognize we are very close to our daughter and son, and we're very happy about the good people they have turned out to be in just about every way a parent can be proud about their kids. All the more reason I sympathize with parents who have "rocky" relationships with their children or none whatsoever.

We're all in the throws right now of planning our Xmas, by way of a trip somewhere together, and we'll be enjoying Thanksgiving at our son's home, just recently married to the sweetest lady we're very happy to have as the newest addition to our family. My "cup runneth over" in terms of family I'd say. Here's to hanging onto whatever roots work best!

BTW, our son and his wife are not religious, and they just got married by way of a fancy non-religious wedding in Banff, Canada. Then a civil ceremony when they got back home which we enjoyed being witness to. Still, to please her mother's very Catholic roots, after the holidays they're going to have another wedding in a Catholic church just to please her mother. My wife thinks that's a bit much, but I get how they just want to keep the peace and make everyone happy. Three weddings is a bit much for most people however...

Old 10-25-2022, 07:32 PM

21,944 posts, read 19,070,038 times
Quote:
While we didn't talk about it a whole lot, my daughter DID mention the concept of "unity."
After reading about their own sacred writings, I'm curious as to what they are. Hopefully my research on this will prove to be fruitful.
The mission of American Bahais is to establish the truth of Islam in the West, promote Muhammad and the Quran, to show the significance of Islam, and to accept the Qur'an as the true word of God and Islam as His religion.

From this Bahai source, Bahai Library online, Islam and the Bahai Faith:

'The mission of the American Bahá'ís is, no doubt to eventually establish the truth of Islam in the West.'
- Shoghi Effendi, Lights of Guidance, #1665

"We find in the writings of Shoghi Effendi (the Guardian of the Bahá'í Faith 1921-1957), much emphasis on the need for Bahá'ís to help correct the many mistaken views about Islam, held by the majority of people in the West. 'There is so much misunderstanding about Islam in the West in general that you have to dispel. Your task is rather difficult and requires a good deal of erudition. Your chief task is to acquaint the friends with the pure teaching of the Prophet [Muhammad] as recorded in the Qur'án, and then to point out how these teachings have, throughout succeeding ages, influenced nay guided the course of human development. In other words you have to show the position and significance of Islam in the history of civilization.'
- Shoghi Effendi, (the Guardian of the Bahá'í Faith). Lights of Guidance, New Delhi: Bahá'í Publishing Trust, 2nd edition, 1988, #1664.

"Today we see that people from every imaginable religious background, --whose ancestors had for more than thirteen centuries resisted Islam--, have as they accept the Bahá'í Faith, finally come to accept the Qur'an as the true word of God and Islam as His religion, and would give their lives for the love of the Prophet (PBUH), thus fulfilling the promise in the opening verses of Chapter 98 of the Qur'an."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-25-2022 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-25-2022, 07:58 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,173,249 times
Our neighbors are Baha'i and they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Very kind, helpful in giving their time to our community through different volunteering pursuits. Both are highly educated and he was a principal here for several years.
I will say that like many religions they do interject their religious beliefs into every day conversation, and even though they do not actively pressure us to join, they definitely let it be known that if we were interested in knowing more, they would be more than happy to tell us everything we could ever want to know about their faith.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:42 PM

63,484 posts, read 39,770,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The mission of American Bahais is to establish the truth of Islam in the West, promote Muhammad and the Quran, to show the significance of Islam, and to accept the Qur'an as the true word of God and Islam as His religion.

From this Bahai source, Bahai Library online, Islam and the Bahai Faith:

'The mission of the American Bahá'ís is, no doubt to eventually establish the truth of Islam in the West.'
- Shoghi Effendi, Lights of Guidance, #1665

"We find in the writings of Shoghi Effendi (the Guardian of the Bahá'í Faith 1921-1957), much emphasis on the need for Bahá'ís to help correct the many mistaken views about Islam, held by the majority of people in the West. 'There is so much misunderstanding about Islam in the West in general that you have to dispel. Your task is rather difficult and requires a good deal of erudition. Your chief task is to acquaint the friends with the pure teaching of the Prophet [Muhammad] as recorded in the Qur'án, and then to point out how these teachings have, throughout succeeding ages, influenced nay guided the course of human development. In other words you have to show the position and significance of Islam in the history of civilization.'
- Shoghi Effendi, (the Guardian of the Bahá'í Faith). Lights of Guidance, New Delhi: Bahá'í Publishing Trust, 2nd edition, 1988, #1664.

"Today we see that people from every imaginable religious background, --whose ancestors had for more than thirteen centuries resisted Islam--, have as they accept the Bahá'í Faith, finally come to accept the Qur'an as the true word of God and Islam as His religion, and would give their lives for the love of the Prophet (PBUH), thus fulfilling the promise in the opening verses of Chapter 98 of the Qur'an."
That was my impression also. I find that "agenda" no less perverse than EscalMikes' desire for a Catholic Monarchy and theocracy! It reeks of authoritarian nonsense as if ANY mere human has the slightest clue what God ACTUALLY wants from us. We ALL "know not what we do" when it comes to God so we can only do our best to try to exhibit the agape love Jesus Divinely revealed, IMO. Everything else is human interpretations, cultural biases, and primitive mindsets that have little to no applicability to today's world.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:58 AM

4,638 posts, read 1,763,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
All that about the father is what I would call a sad reason...

Good you kept in touch with your daughter despite the challenges. Atheism is not a faith, but I get what you mean. I wish all parents would give their kids the freedom to think and believe what they might without the influence of inculcation that tends to dominate the thinking of far too many people. We raised our children in an entirely non-religious home, and I'm always pleased to recognize we are very close to our daughter and son, and we're very happy about the good people they have turned out to be in just about every way a parent can be proud about their kids. All the more reason I sympathize with parents who have "rocky" relationships with their children or none whatsoever.
I can't say that my daughter(s) were raised in a 'non-religious' home. Then again... They both knew that I was 'sort of' religious. I DID try to impress on them that they are free to follow whatever religion--if any--they come to believe in (knowing fully well that those beliefs may change over time).

When we talked about it, the conversation usually began because of their questions. I would simply state my beliefs and let them know why I believe what I believe. They were under no obligation to follow in my footsteps.

Quote:
We're all in the throws right now of planning our Xmas, by way of a trip somewhere together, and we'll be enjoying Thanksgiving at our son's home, just recently married to the sweetest lady we're very happy to have as the newest addition to our family. My "cup runneth over" in terms of family I'd say. Here's to hanging onto whatever roots work best!

BTW, our son and his wife are not religious, and they just got married by way of a fancy non-religious wedding in Banff, Canada. Then a civil ceremony when they got back home which we enjoyed being witness to. Still, to please her mother's very Catholic roots, after the holidays they're going to have another wedding in a Catholic church just to please her mother. My wife thinks that's a bit much, but I get how they just want to keep the peace and make everyone happy. Three weddings is a bit much for most people however...
LOL! Three weddings? To the same person?

Personally, although I've been married twice, and I'm Catholic, I wasn't married in the Catholic church! Once by the J of the P, and once in an Episcopal church...of which I was NOT a member!

Old 10-26-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I can't say that my daughter(s) were raised in a 'non-religious' home. Then again... They both knew that I was 'sort of' religious. I DID try to impress on them that they are free to follow whatever religion--if any--they come to believe in (knowing fully well that those beliefs may change over time).

When we talked about it, the conversation usually began because of their questions. I would simply state my beliefs and let them know why I believe what I believe. They were under no obligation to follow in my footsteps.

Personally, although I've been married twice, and I'm Catholic, I wasn't married in the Catholic church! Once by the J of the P, and once in an Episcopal church...of which I was NOT a member!
Though I suppose it might feel entirely neutral for a parent to tell their children what they believe and then suggest "they were under no obligation to follow in my footsteps," there's still the parental influence that can't be denied or underestimated. It isn't so much an obligation but leading by example that tends to be the influence on kids. Whether that be religion or swearing, having manners, being kind or mean to others, etc. I'm sure we can all appreciate what influence parents still have on children, especially at a young age, even if "no obligation" to believe what their parent's believe.

Not that I can claim any different level of influence, but knowing how impressionable children can be, I/we were always very careful about trying to give our children a balanced view about their options along these lines. Including what to do with their lives. I like to think we managed a better balance for our kids than a lot of kids were afforded in a lot of other families who insisted on a following of the religion the parents belonged to. Seems you did your best to foster a bit of balance like we did as well, which I think is the right thing to do.

Regardless the religion or non-religion, I'm sure most people tend to feel that three marriages is a bit much for any couple. Still, sometimes religion wins out even when a bit much.

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-26-2022 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-26-2022, 09:00 AM

88,206 posts, read 84,094,155 times
Quote:

Once again, as has been said here so many times, the Episcopal Church generally doesn't give a rat's ass if you are a member of their church or not. Unlike other churches, they don't believe that they are the "right" church or even in many cases that Christianity is the "right" religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality