Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i know of no historic information whatsoever that indicates that george washington was an atheist and anti masonic person. much evidence to the contrary.
George Washington was well known as a Free Mason. His religious leanings are not very clear from what he wrote. He also was not the author of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution. He was pretty much drafted into both leading the revolution and becoming our first president. Thomas Jefferson was a self-described deist and wrote many anti-Christian, anti-religion statements - he was a primary author of the documents that laid down the basis for our society. There were several others, most of whom were Masons and Deists if not out-right atheists.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 PM

43 posts, read 38,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
The reality is that the world will turn into a bloodbath because of atheists and God-haters.
Too late. The world has ALREADY been made a bloodbath because of Christian, Muslim and other religious nutcases. Been that way for thousands of years now.

Quote:
The Bible states that ALL Christians will be taken out of the world and the only people left will be the atheist, agnostic and those who deny God. They will turn the world into a evil, vile and horrific place
Well since you are one of the few 'true' Christians, what are you worried about? We'll help you pack..

Quote:
Atheism does NOT believe in absolute truth. Morality is relative to each and every person. Some might believe it is OK to steal, while others believe it is OK to rape, while other atheists believe it is OK to molest little boys and girls.
Seems there are plenty of Christian church leaders who are into little boys also..

Quote:
The reason they CANNOT be told what they are doing is WRONG, is the simple fact that as an atheist, there is NO absolute right or wrong, it's all relative and up to the individual themselves.
Actually, we have these little things called LAWS that keep people accountable for their actions. They're far more effective than silly threats from a fictional sky daddy.

Quote:
When one believe in the God of the Bible, there becomes ABSOLUTE TRUTH.
Right, and that's why there's only one Christian church.

Oh wait...

Quote:
If the laws of this country changed and allowed killing of another person without consequence
The only way that would ever happen is if the country was taken over by fundamentalists. You can bet Jews, Atheists, gays and other 'heathens' will die by the train load then.

Quote:
or in other words, the evolutionary law of "survival of the fittest" comes into being.
Survival of the fittest is not a law of evolution.

Quote:
The atheist or God-hater has NO absolute truth. If the atheist wants to murder you and your family, they can, as there is NO CONSEQUENCE to their actions.
The Christians who murdered millions of Jews in the holocaust and untold numbers of Native American families in the name of 'manifest destiny' didn't seem too concerned with consequences for their actions.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:33 PM

57 posts, read 88,045 times
There is a BEGINNING (ORIGIN of all existence).

Spiritually minded people call the BEGINNING/ORIGIN..."GOD".

The words "God" and "god" have different meanings and REFER to different CONCEPTS/ideas.

The word "God" (capital letter "G") refers to an 'animate character' (has life).

The word "god" (all small letters, is also used in scripture) refers to
the self-CHOSEN determining factor of a person's existence (money, sex, drugs, etc., the object of veneration).

The word "god" can also be used to refer to a subject of veneration (animate character that does not deserve WORSHIPFUL veneration/respect).

Many people choose different animate characters/subjects to venerate and even worship, but those animate characters are either imaginary or just principalities/elements or forces (but, like magnetism, forces also have an origin).

So, the word and concept of "god" should simply be discarded because it doesn't refer to anything of redeeming quality.

The "God" of Christian belief (The Father's proper DESIGNATION in scripture, His true IDENTITY is "I am who I am", Exodus 3:14) is the ORIGIN of all elements/forces of nature and the only true animate character (and therefore deserves worship/respect, our chosen ABSOLUTE).

One of the problems with the "traditional" teachings of Christianity is that this "absolute" is very often taught as though He should be exclusively EXTERNAL (and not necessarily also INTERNAL/conscience).

For the most part, MontanaGuy, it would seem that you have the INTERNAL absolute of His character (decency/peaceful coexistence,...except for the "murder" part, I can't make sense out of that one).

I always thought that aetheists do have a governing concept (this would be an absolute,..."religion" if you will understand philosophically).

Decency is an element of absolute/objective truth, the result of sorrow compassion (empathy), and just/fair righteousness (these are all very "Godly" concepts/attitudes/principles).

What exactly is/are the aetheist's objections to the recognition of a "God"/origin/beginning? Is it just that the participants/worshippers, practices/behaviors/attitudes/character (human SPIRIT is very partisan, bureaucratic, etc.) have portrayed the origin as being exclusively EXTERNAL? (I think every creation should want to know it's creator/origin/heritage).

Old 05-29-2008, 01:37 PM

13 posts, read 30,013 times
Yeah, it's true, this world is headed south fast. I don't care how many lives technology has saved, how much easier our lives are because of it or anything else. You wanna know what the fruits of your precious science and technology are. Well let me tell you.

First this is a test by our all mighty God to see who loves Him. That is life like it or lump it.

I am aware you will say technology has saved the lives of countless numbers of people. Saved them to do what? To live out their lives with the sword of technology constantly beaming ungodly pleasures into our homes and cars, our supermarkets and the list goes on. Technology is used to discern a mans thoughts and sway the same. Quite a study has been undertaken into just those issues. Technology can be used to track and brand us like cattle. Technology can be used to harm and destroy our bodies. Technology is a deadly poison to mankind's soul and well being. I say it's all self righteous bull. And don't give me how technology will save the earth, because of it destruction is swift on the way. Even scientists say this earth will not last. So a space program and colonization on another planet may save some hides. Some bright thinkers think they will escape destruction that way but look. It's foolishness.

Re:21:1: And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

This will come to pass and no wickedness will escape judgment.

Ob:1:4: Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the stars, thence will I bring thee down, saith the LORD.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by more excellent way View Post
What exactly is/are the aetheist's objections to the recognition of a "God"/origin/beginning?
I don't believe in a god because there is no evidence for one. That's as simple as I can put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by more excellent way View Post
I think every creation should want to know it's creator/origin/heritage).
What created god then?

If you can't apply the rule of having to be created to your god, then don't try to apply it to the universe. You're speaking absolutely with an exception.

And the proper spelling is atheist.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnie36 View Post
Don't you know they don't care about you, and you really are buying into this life like a sucker.

"Buying in"? Such a sad view of human existence.
And proof of how religion can be dangerous to societies.
So many Christians just don't care about their own life or the lifes of others. That's no way to live. Looks to me like you are the one who has paid ante at the wrong table.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:05 PM

43 posts, read 38,923 times
[quote=cronnie36;3922382]
Quote:
Man your being satan's puppet talking this garbage. God put you together for Him and no other,
If that's the case then it looks like your god is not as perfect as you claim him to be, huh?

Quote:
the least you can do is give Him some respect and maybe get to know Him. We were not made for this world.
Sorry, but I cannot respect a god as hypocritical and despicable as the one described in your Bible. That is not God, that is merely the words of man designed to control other, ignorant men.

Quote:
Re:3:20: Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Quoting Bible verses is about as meaningful and relevant as passing gas.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM

13 posts, read 30,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
"Buying in"? Such a sad view of human existence.
And proof of how religion can be dangerous to societies.
So many Christians just don't care about their own life or the lifes of others. That's no way to live. Looks to me like you are the one who has paid ante at the wrong table.

How sad that you judge me based on one statement. I had no idea how revealing that would be. Because it wasn't, you don't know me or my life. My hopes, my dreams, my joys, or my sadness. You are just a poor lost soul lashing out at the God who made you.

Ro:9:20: Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnie36 View Post
How sad that you judge me based on one statement. I had no idea how revealing that would be. Because it wasn't, you don't know me or my life. My hopes, my dreams, my joys, or my sadness. You are just a poor lost soul lashing out at the God who made you.
I didn't mention your hopes, dreams, etc. because you're correct, I don't know them and I quite like it that way.

I did mention the fact that you have devalued human life because of your religion - but that was not an inference or judgement - you said it yourself.

The sad part is that your mindset is harmful to society, of which I am a part. Believe it or not, it is possible for me to be sad for my own society without even knowing (or caring) who you are. I'm just glad that it is not yourself who decides on what is moral. Otherwise, I would be endlessly sad for us all.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Well I certainly hope that fundamentalist christians do not impose their morality on me.
Fundamentalism is incompatible with democracy. For democracy to survive, the majority must treat the minorities they way they would like to be treated if they were the minority. Fundamentalists cannot allow that to happen. For them, people who believe and behave differently from them are wrong and "God does not like it, doesn't tolerate it, and neither do God's devoted followers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality