Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 05:19 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Earned...yes...a key word here.
There are of course different kinds of respect. Respect for the rights of others to have their own views isn't conditional in the sense that it's a principle and doesn't have anything to do with anyone's character. On the other hand, while, say, a Nazi has a right to their views, that doesn't make the views themselves respectable. I would not want to see a Nazi jailed merely for being a Nazi, but I'd want them jailed for hate crimes they perpetrate and I would not hesitate to shame them for -- well, shameful actions like that, and for the hateful ideas that justify those actions and cause harm and suffering in their targets.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:13 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You're fighting a lost cause...
It's important to note that Golden's links were all to posts he/she made on other thread topics. All talk about China and the growth of Christianity in China along with some comments about how "educated" the Chinese are.

But the reality is that yes, Christianity is growing over there and is 5% of the population. Meanwhile the "nones" make up 75% of China. So, it stands to reason that Christianity might make some inroads considering they were starting at close to zero percent.

It's funny that they insist on our side recognizing that religion is growing around the world but they won't admit that non belief is growing in the first world.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:54 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, he is a professor. Where did you find these "good amount of respect" reviews for him and his work? I'd like to review them.
Now you are being beyond pedantic for Christ's sake! (pun intended). He is a Dean Emeritus and a quick google reveals that:

About William Scott Green
William Scott Green, Professor of Religious Studies, Fain Family Endowed Chair in Judaic Studies.

William Green has written widely on ancient Judaism, the study of religion, and higher education. He has held fellowships and grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the American Council of Learned Societies, the Andrew Mellon Foundation, the National Science Foundation, and the John Templeton Foundation. He served as editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Religion and was educational director of archaeological excavations in the Galilee and Tuscany. He is co-editor of the Brill Reference Library of Judaism and a member of the advisory committee for the Bloomsbury Religion in North America project. His current teaching and scholarly interests are the evolution of religion, particularly ancient Judaism; the nature of propaganda and genocide; and religion, architecture, and the metaverse. He earned an A.B. in religion at Dartmouth College and a Ph.D. in religion from Brown University, and he studied at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. He joined the University in 2006 and served as Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education until 2020. He previously was a Professor of Religion, Dean of the College, and Philip S. Bernstein Professor of Judaic Studies at the University of Rochester.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:36 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Now you are being beyond pedantic for Christ's sake! (pun intended). He is a Dean Emeritus and a quick google reveals that:

About William Scott Green
William Scott Green, Professor of Religious Studies, Fain Family Endowed Chair in Judaic Studies.

William Green has written widely on ancient Judaism, the study of religion, and higher education. He has held fellowships and grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the American Council of Learned Societies, the Andrew Mellon Foundation, the National Science Foundation, and the John Templeton Foundation. He served as editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Religion and was educational director of archaeological excavations in the Galilee and Tuscany. He is co-editor of the Brill Reference Library of Judaism and a member of the advisory committee for the Bloomsbury Religion in North America project. His current teaching and scholarly interests are the evolution of religion, particularly ancient Judaism; the nature of propaganda and genocide; and religion, architecture, and the metaverse. He earned an A.B. in religion at Dartmouth College and a Ph.D. in religion from Brown University, and he studied at the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. He joined the University in 2006 and served as Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education until 2020. He previously was a Professor of Religion, Dean of the College, and Philip S. Bernstein Professor of Judaic Studies at the University of Rochester.
That's what I was looking for, and when I googled him I didn't find that.

I just asked for information.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:07 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's important to note that Golden's links were all to posts he/she made on other thread topics. All talk about China and the growth of Christianity in China along with some comments about how "educated" the Chinese are.

But the reality is that yes, Christianity is growing over there and is 5% of the population. Meanwhile the "nones" make up 75% of China. So, it stands to reason that Christianity might make some inroads considering they were starting at close to zero percent.

It's funny that they insist on our side recognizing that religion is growing around the world but they won't admit that non belief is growing in the first world.
I recall him being obsessed with China years ago, like it was some kind of "gotcha" argument. There is nothing new under the sun.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:28 AM

412 posts, read 137,726 times
Quote:

Why is taking sides necessary? Is that the point of eliminating the agnostic position?

Old 10-25-2022, 08:10 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:

The 75% includes Chinese Folk Religions which is being increasingly recognized. in that sense religion is growing even though it always existed. Data from China is also dubious.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:11 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Respect is not conditional. If it is conditional it is not respect, it is something else.
This comment does not compute and/or I don't respect this opinion...

Old 10-25-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
William Scott Green, whose quote is being grossly misunderstood here for sake of arguing here, is a professor of Religious studies and has earned a good amount of respect. The quote is in relation to respecting the differences in religions. It will also hold for respecting the difference between religious views and atheism. Mutual respect instead of diminishing the other.
Not at all misunderstood let along grossly. I just don't entirely agree with William Scott Green is all...

Of course I can respect that differences exist with regard to all the different religions. To whatever extent I respect the specific differences is neither universal or the same. I have respect for something, anything, until such time I have had the opportunity to judge the nature of the differences, the reasons for them, the implications and the results. Perhaps you are misunderstanding, or don't we all judge accordingly in much the same way? Deciding what to embrace and/or what to reject. What to accept and/or denounce. Promote or dismiss...

Is consideration of all the religions in these respects any different from all the different political parties out there? Why should there be any sort of automatic default mutual respect along these lines rather than based on merit?

Old 10-25-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Like many "arguments" that go on about this subject in this forum, I don't find most of them at all "important" to note generally speaking. The confirmation bias is so profound and the mental manipulation of data like being referred to here is barely worthy of note, let alone important. Cause/effect grossly misunderstood or purposely misrepresented. I can never be too sure which if not both...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality