Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2022, 10:32 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a person's word choice and loaded language reveals a lot about them. For instance if they refer to their own views opinions and outlook as "truth" (or even "Truth") while labeling the views opinions and outlook of others different from their own as "ill-informed" "nonsense" "claims" "asserted" "biased" "emotion-driven" "opinion"

those are actual examples from CD threads. also if someone consistently engages in double standard then that reveals an agenda. For instance (again, real life examples here) if someone makes sweeping claims about "religion" or people engaged in religion; while at the same time insisting that non-believers be treated as individuals because they are not all the same and are diverse in their views and deserving of respect and recognition in that regard.
Yes. I share the same "disdain" for the way some people like to use loaded language, and I agree that more often than not it reveals a good deal about them. Much as looking in the mirror should do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
they are not commandments
Commandments, laws, rules...

Some say "they are meant to be broken," but of course when or when not to abide requires the sort of critical thinking that most people prefer to avoid in favor of faithfully doing whatever their commandments, laws and rules taught them to do.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It certainly has. I've learned more here than anywhere, ever. I am better for it and that's why I'm still here. Lot's a bumps and potholes in the last 16 years that I've been a member, I'm very fortunate to be here to post so I don't take it for granted. Btw, C-D is first and only for me too. Suppose I should branch out a little.
Interesting to think you have learned more here than anywhere, but if so, here's to learning from wherever it might come! As long as the learning is for the better that is. Also interesting is your thought to "branch out a little," because it seems according to much being reported lately that people are beginning to withdraw a bit from social media. I am absolutely amazed to learn from the news as well just how many young people are learning and/or getting their news from social media.

"Houston, we have a problem..."

"Is our children learning?" Are they learning for the better? Sometimes I really have to wonder.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:54 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Commandments, laws, rules...

Some say "they are meant to be broken," but of course when or when not to abide requires the sort of critical thinking that most people prefer to avoid in favor of faithfully doing whatever their commandments, laws and rules taught them to do.
On the website that is associated with the Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, one of the most prominent Buddhist monks to ever lived, known and beloved by many throughout the world, it says, “The Five Mindfulness Trainings have their root in the Five Precepts offered by the Buddha. They have been expanded and updated so that they represent a way to bring mindfulness into every area of life. Rather than hard and fast rules, they offer us a framework to reflect on our actions, speech and thinking so we can create more happiness for ourself and for the world around us”.

In a discussion about the Five Precepts on a Buddhist forum, several of the important points made – and thus far all against the concept that the Five Precepts are commandments included:

The Five Precepts are used to help us train ourselves as we develop our spiritually; they help us to learn and grow. This is in opposition to a somewhat common Christian approach where a student in a catholic school learns not to do something not because of any moral understanding, but because the nun slaps him on his hands with a ruler. Commandments versus guidance.

If there is a ‘commandment’, who commands it? Buddha was just a man and teacher. There is no Buddhist god commanding things. And therefore there is nothing that must be obeyed.
The Five Precepts are advice which have the intent to assist a Buddhist in working through an issue. Following the Precepts “does not please a deity”…because there is no Buddhist deity.

It’s not unlike when I was a principal working with a staff of about 80 teachers. I would often give advice along the lines of: “You might want to consider…”, “One strategy that some of your colleagues have found helpful is…”, “Did you ever think of trying…”, and so forth. It was very different than on those rare occasions when I said, “I am now telling you that you must … or there will be consequences”. The latter was a commandment.

This difference gets back to what I abhor about much in religion, at least on the part of some religionists: you must do this or else!

Old 11-10-2022, 11:06 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Some people take their crap way too seriously. And they 'disapprove' of light-heartedness and openness, what a miserable existence.
That's one nice thing about being an atheist. Non belief lends itself well to being small.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:09 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
On the website that is associated with the Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, one of the most prominent Buddhist monks to ever lived, known and beloved by many throughout the world, it says, “The Five Mindfulness Trainings have their root in the Five Precepts offered by the Buddha. They have been expanded and updated so that they represent a way to bring mindfulness into every area of life. Rather than hard and fast rules, they offer us a framework to reflect on our actions, speech and thinking so we can create more happiness for ourself and for the world around us”.

In a discussion about the Five Precepts on a Buddhist forum, several of the important points made – and thus far all against the concept that the Five Precepts are commandments included:

The Five Precepts are used to help us train ourselves as we develop our spiritually; they help us to learn and grow. This is in opposition to a somewhat common Christian approach where a student in a catholic school learns not to do something not because of any moral understanding, but because the nun slaps him on his hands with a ruler. Commandments versus guidance.

If there is a ‘commandment’, who commands it? Buddha was just a man and teacher. There is no Buddhist god commanding things. And therefore there is nothing that must be obeyed.
The Five Precepts are advice which have the intent to assist a Buddhist in working through an issue. Following the Precepts “does not please a deity”…because there is no Buddhist deity.

It’s not unlike when I was a principal working with a staff of about 80 teachers. I would often give advice along the lines of: “You might want to consider…”, “One strategy that some of your colleagues have found helpful is…”, “Did you ever think of trying…”, and so forth. It was very different than on those rare occasions when I said, “I am now telling you that you must … or there will be consequences”. The latter was a commandment.

This difference gets back to what I abhor about much in religion, at least on the part of some religionists: you must do this or else!
Isn't there something about killing the Buddha if you meet him? What's that about?

Old 11-10-2022, 11:15 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Isn't there something about killing the Buddha if you meet him? What's that about?
I will admit that I never understood that whole thing.

My vague impression was that it had something to do with killing the misunderstanding that our beliefs do not mean that we understand it all.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Nicely explained, though a wonder this needs explaining...

All that aside, much you explain here is why if I WERE to pick a religion or choose to be a follower of a religion, it would be Buddhism long before any other.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Some people take their crap way too seriously. And they 'disapprove' of light-heartedness and openness, what a miserable existence.
As the Buddha suggested for those struggling with life's issues, "You've got to let that crap go."

Note: there is some question as to whether the Buddha actually said this in those exact words...

Old 11-10-2022, 11:49 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
As the Buddha suggested for those struggling with life's issues, "You've got to let that crap go."
Note: there is some question as to whether the Buddha actually said this in those exact words...
I actually like this evidence of a sense of humor in you, LM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality