Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 09:11 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I would hasten to add however that "rules abut what you cannot do" are hardly limited to being a sexual libertine or stealing or things of that nature. Freethought is free in all respects. The freedom to follow evidence where it leads. The ability to respect people from different cultures and backgrounds. The freedom to be open to anything that's not harmful just because it isn't contemplated in a particular belief system. The freedom even to do good to people who don't believe as you do without fretting about angering some deity or clergyperson.
Exactly. The list is very long as far as what was not allowed. You might as well just say that nothing outside of the cult was of god. So, no need to wander lest you lose your religion. That is the greatest fear of religious people, is to be drawn away from their beliefs by playing cards or watching a program on TV that isn't religious or sickening sweet. I'm actually surprised that we were allowed to watch tv at all. All the Christians can condemn away, doesn't matter to me what another human being who is just as flawed thinks of me and my disbelief.

Your last sentence is so true, to my situation anyway. "god's gonna getcha" if you do that! What is "getting" people is outright ignorance. And I don't mean stupid. Ignorant to the fact that you can be in the world and not have your head turned, if you don't want to. I still say people like Jimmiej are here because they are doubting and trying desperately to make sense of the nonsensical. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 09:16 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You have no IDEA what you are talking about. I am not a Christian, so how could I be "doing it wrong"? That's insane. I was not afforded the opportunity to learn about anything except all things god. There is a whole world to discover and explore, and most Fungelicals who were indoctrinated from birth never learn about anything other than religion. Like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about. Take your one-liner insults somewhere else.

Are you Pentecostal? No? Then once again, no knowledge of what I'm talking about. It is a cult, and cults do not wander from the pack. They live in their own ridiculously religious bubble and they think it's a sin to do anything other than worship a god and study the bible. What I have learned I taught myself. I was not encouraged to get further education beyond high school. So, there you have it. It's stifling and wrong.
I'm glad you posted this.

Somewhat similar here -- as a Buddhist, how could I be doing christianity wrong. There seems to be a lack of basic understanding on the part of many 'fallback christians' that, as you put it, there's a whole world out there to discover and explore. Including a world that is not christian at all and has no interest in it.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
A thumbs up is okay for the concept. The more difficult question is whether the person lives a life where he or she is actively going out and discovering and learning about his or her unknown.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:20 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
You have no IDEA what you are talking about. I am not a Christian, so how could I be "doing it wrong"? That's insane. I was not afforded the opportunity to learn about anything except all things god. There is a whole world to discover and explore, and most Fungelicals who were indoctrinated from birth never learn about anything other than religion. Like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about. Take your one-liner insults somewhere else.

Are you Pentecostal? No? Then once again, no knowledge of what I'm talking about. It is a cult, and cults do not wander from the pack. They live in their own ridiculously religious bubble and they think it's a sin to do anything other than worship a god and study the bible. What I have learned I taught myself. I was not encouraged to get further education beyond high school. So, there you have it. It's stifling and wrong.
Your comments were not specific to the Pentecostal church. You referenced Christianity in general-and you were wrong in your statement. And you were a Christian at one point, no?

I am not unfamiliar with the Pentecostal church, as my cousins were such.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:24 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You said, "...law is not made for a righteous person...".
A person who can keep the law needs no law, right? Still, we must have a standard.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
A person who can keep the law needs no law, right? Still, we must have a standard.
According to your post, the righteous do not need the law. Are you changing that point now?

Old 11-03-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Your comments were not specific to the Pentecostal church. You referenced Christianity in general-and you were wrong in your statement. And you were a Christian at one point, no?

I am not unfamiliar with the Pentecostal church, as my cousins were such.
Yes they were, that's what Christianity IS to me. Ignorance. Yeah, so? I'm not anymore and there are good, solid, rational, critical thought and just plain common sense reasons for that. No you are not familiar, or else you would be agreeing with me. Unless you are Pentecostal to the core, you have no clue.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm glad you posted this.

Somewhat similar here -- as a Buddhist, how could I be doing christianity wrong. There seems to be a lack of basic understanding on the part of many 'fallback christians' that, as you put it, there's a whole world out there to discover and explore. Including a world that is not christian at all and has no interest in it.
Yes it is similar, and now that I understand Buddhism a little better I get that it's nothing like other religions, especially Christianity. So I guess Jimmiej knows the answer to "doing Christianity right"? Must be a big boost to the ego to think you have "THE" answers. Just like the title of the thread.....he has "THE" bible mentality of a self-righteous christian. Hey Jimmie, are you a KJV-onlyism kind of Christian?

Old 11-03-2022, 09:38 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
As I've said many times, the so-called "relationship" you are supposed to have with God/Christ as a Christian is the *EXACT* same kind of relationship a battered wife has with her abusive husband. And make no mistake - this so-called relationship IS abusive.
Gee, what a shock that I married someone who constantly put me down and was at time physically abusive when high or drunk, and yet I really thought he had been sent to me by God to take care of and fix. The Reformed Church of America's focus on our sinful nature, and emphasis on death and hell groomed me for that. But, it's been more than 20 years, and I'm better now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I really hope we never let these lunatics have the power they so desperately crave. But they keep getting closer and closer to it every election. I never thought in a million years we would actually see an overt Christian Nationalist and Dominionist run for governor of the 4th most populous state - PA - and yet there's Mostriano - who says, and I quote: "My body, my choice? That's nonsense." Which means the government can force you, against your will, to undergo any medical procedure it wants you to. Up to and including castration, sterilization, amputation, vaccination, and death.

Let's hope I am wrong.
My kid just moved to Pittsburgh this year. She's super-intelligent, liberal, outspoken and charming but can also be mean as hell about injustice and marginalization. She who once refused to vote for anyone because even Bernie was too far right has been rumbling about her new state's situation. For six years (mostly high school and some college) she dated the son of a fundamentalist preacher man, a control freak whose last straw was when she was going to China on a scholarship to study the language and he said, "Why do you want to learn Mandarin anyway? Those people sound retarded when they talk..." She has little patience for that nonsense.

She'll save you.

But seriously, yes, people will have to stand and push back on that sort of thing. Our founding fathers knew the reasons for separation of church and state. NEVER should we let that take hold. History shows us what a disaster that is.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yes it is similar, and now that I understand Buddhism a little better I get that it's nothing like other religions, especially Christianity. So I guess Jimmiej knows the answer to "doing Christianity right"? Must be a big boost to the ego to think you have "THE" answers. Just like the title of the thread.....he has "THE" bible mentality of a self-righteous christian. Hey Jimmie, are you a KJV-onlyism kind of Christian?
Well, my guess is that staunch catholics would say Jimmie is doing christianity wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality