Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 06:41 PM

383 posts, read 180,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The definition of "murder" is the taking of one's life against their will. If you're committing suicide, you cannot murder yourself because death is not against one's will.

I'm a huge supporter of euthanasia, to be honest. Religion and these ancient and meaningless superstitions are just more roadblocks into the humane treatment of our fellow human beings.

Granted, euthenasia should not be used just because, for instance, some teenager got his heart broken and now feels like dying. Of course not. Those afflicted with very temporary problems - especially when the person is young - should not be allowed any form of assisted suicide.

But there are a lot of people out there whose lives have essentially dead-ended - either through physical or mental disability. Often times both. In truth, I've thought about it on several occasions and wondered if I should go through with it should it ever become available.

But because of these inane beliefs, all of us have to suffer whether we believe in this nonsense or not. I know from first-hand experience what it's like to hit the end of the line ... to die before you die, if you know what I mean. And none of the usual platitudes work on me since they don't apply.

My life is my own - to do with as I please. No one can say killing yourself "interferes with God's plan" because if you believe that, then you must also believe in predestination. In other words - we do not have free will. Every thing we do is preordained to occur. We're just carrying out our lives like a computer running a program, totally incapable of acting on our own. It just seems that we are because we don't know the future. Is that what religion teaches you? Because I hear endless arguments about god giving us free will. So what good is a "divine plan" if we can thwart it over and over with our unpredictable behavior?

I've also heard the equally ridiculous expression, "God knows just how wide your shoulders are; he'll never give you a load you can't carry."

Well, if that silly platitude were true, no one would commit suicide or wish to be euthanized ... would they. Of course not.

Allowing a person you love to lay there in a hospital bed, tubes all over the place, needles sticking in their arms. They're barely conscious or aware because they're so doped up on pain meds. There is no hope of recovery, no hope of a cure. And he or she lays there begging to be released, begging for death.

And our wonderful religion prevents us from granting that peace. Instead, let's all gather around our loved one's hospital bed and watch as he/she is tortured by his/her own body! It's almost as bad as in the medieval days when everyone would turn out to the town square to watch some criminal be tortured. Except at least the criminal is eventually allowed to die. Whereas the person you love must lay there day after week after month after year, knowing they will never be able to participate in life ever again - no more Christmas mornings or Thanksgiving dinners. No bike rides at sunset or walks through the park. No more gardening or romantic evenings or watching a movie or going on roadtrips. No, that person's life has now become a sterile hospital room, the constant beeping of machines and basic cable his/her only nonstop companion.

And why is that not torture? How anyone can be opposed to, say, waterboarding while allowing their loved ones to lay there in agony and utter depression and despair ...

How could ANYONE worship a god and call it "good and just" if that kind of unending pain of both mind and body is part of the "divine plan," hmm? How couldn't ANYONE question the morality of such a cruel and vindictive, sadistic god?

Because god being all-powerful, there is no doubt that god could have accomplished his plan using some other method than horrific torture of an innocent. Right? A god with limitless power also has limitless options to solve a problem or accomplish a goal. If this involves the horrible torture of someone losing control of their bodily functions - having to sit in their own crap and urine in some nasty nursing home - not even being able to bathe themselves or eat or put on their clothes - really? It means god CHOSE that fate for your loved one. It didn't happen by accident or random chance... did it. No. So if you believe in this divine plan nonsense, then you better get used to worshiping a rather malignant god.

This freedom we atheists have is sooo much better than being trapped in this life by 3,000 year-old dogma written by some Bedouin tribe that knew nothing about the world they lived in. Everything that happened in their lives was credited with gods and the supernatural - oh god is pleased or oh no god is angry. Their whole lives were dedicated to walking that endless tight rope between an angry god and a pleased god. What an awful way to live, always fearful of the next angry outburst from a god they've never seen.

Unfortunately, most people are not all that good at putting themselves in someone else's shoes. They may go to visit Aunt Sally at the nursing home, so muddled with dimentia and Alzheimers that Aunt Sally starts screaming for security thinking a bunch of strangers just invaded her cinder block little room that she shares with someone paralyzed with ALS. Never mind that she had asked for euthanasia before she got to this point but - oh no - religion says we have to keep her alive so she lives in a constant fugue state while the family's bank account is drained dry - well, neice Kathy and nephew Kevin can forget about that college fund and already they had to sell their house and move into an apartment.

And all the while no one can really, truly understand what Aunt Sally is going through. How could they? Once the family files out of the nursing home after their monthly visit with Aunt Sally, they immediately focus on their own lives. Dad is gunning for a promotion. Mom has a project due at the end of the week. Daughter Stacy has a piano recital and an algebra exam this week while Son Eddie is going to be playing in the football state championships ... and Aunt Sally is all but forgotten in that horrible place. No one gives her a second thought except when the bills arrive.

We treat our pets with more dignity and respect than we do our own family members. At least when the pet dog or cat is suffering, we humanely put them down. We don't *force* them to remain alive, miserable and in pain.

I'll leave you with a true story. There was a woman whose name I can't remember. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She said that she wanted to be euthanized before she reached the point when she could not take care of herself. Well, when that time finally arrived, of course the authorities argued that because nothing was in writing, they couldn't euthanize her - and she was too far gone to express her wishes. There was a big battle over this - and the woman in a lucid moment said she simply wouldn't eat. She would refuse food and starve to death. So the authorities got a court order forcing the woman to be fed through an IV ... like it or not, you WILL stay alive and you WILL accept this health care we're forcing on you.

And as I was reading this story, I thought to myself: There are tens of millions of people in this country who are just begging for an opportunity to receive health care - and they can't get it because in this country, health care is just another luxury like a big house or fancy car. And here is this one woman who does not WANT health care and so they are forcing it on her. How f-ing crazy is that? Think about it.

This inability to "die with dignity" is one of the saddest chapters of modern life. And it needs to end.

That's a definition of murder I've never heard before. What would you call the taking of someone's life (whether the self or another) when it's not against their will? Aside from suicide/euthanasia, anyway

You say "my life is my own" when that's not entirely correct. What you do affects those around you. There are plenty of studies where those who carry through with suicide knew someone else close to them who did, as well.

One concern I have is that others will decide when its best for a patient. Someone not in their right mind can say and agree to all sorts of things. Heard of a few cases in Europe where someone was basically whisked along. Seen as burdens

Is it possible in that wanting to do good, we end up creating another monster, instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 07:13 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
But the commandment isn't "do not murder"; it's "do not kill."

Old 10-31-2022, 07:14 PM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Eh, depends on the translation.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Eh, depends on the translation.
Either way, even legally, the difference is that murder is killing with intent, and euthanasia/suicide fit that description.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Either way, even legally, the difference is that murder is killing with intent, and euthanasia/suicide fit that description.
And that's enough for many to decide that it is wrong.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:59 PM

So, if you intentionally DON'T pursue every medical treatment available to you, which probably won't even work but will torture you, are you committing suicide?

It almost seems like you have to take some direct action in order to DIE these days; the default, instead of dying, is for the medical system to keep you alive.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:04 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
More likely the command was do not murder since capital punishment was commanded in the Hebrew Bible.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:08 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
So, if you intentionally DON'T pursue every medical treatment available to you, which probably won't even work but will torture you, are you committing suicide?

It almost seems like you have to take some direct action in order to DIE these days; the default, instead of dying, is for the medical system to keep you alive.
In my opinion letting nature take its course is not committing suicide.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
In my opinion letting nature take its course is not committing suicide.
But you COULD (theoretically, at least) save or at least extend your life by taking action. How is that different from not eating or drinking and "letting nature take its course"?

Old 10-31-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
But you COULD (theoretically, at least) save or at least extend your life by taking action. How is that different from not eating or drinking and "letting nature take its course"?
I have someone in that situation right now. A cancer is not curable, but could possibly be slowed down by treatment that comes with harsh side effects and the need for regular scans and blood tests. He has declined treatment of the cancer and will accept palliative care only. Is that the same as suicide?

By the way, all the cool kids no longer say "committed" suicide, as that infers there is a crime being committed. People die by suicide or attempt suicide, but it's not looked upon as a sin or a crime in the secular world, and the language has changed to reflect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality