Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 01:39 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

If you really want effect, say he was decapitated by a satanic communist. Come on, you can do better with the click bait!

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-08-2022 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 02:43 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Yes the Orthdox church of Russia does and does not believe Russia commits war crimes.

In addition:

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church has said that Russian soldiers who die in the war against Ukraine will be cleansed of all their sins, days after President Vladimir Putin ordered the country's first mobilisation since World War Two.

Patriarch Kirill is a key Putin ally and backer of the invasion. He has previously criticised those who oppose the war and called on Russians to rally round the Kremlin.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...in-2022-09-26/

With that the Russian Orthodox church supported the liquidation of Ukraine, and with it for Ukraine to be part of Russia.

With this liquidation of JWS and Ukraine go hand in hand:

The perverse logic at work in the liquidation of the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the invasion of Ukraine is the same. Both the Jehovah’s Witnesses and Ukraine are perceived as tools of a Western conspiracy aimed at contaminating the Russian sphere with ideas and lifestyles that are different from those taught by a nationalist, authoritarian, and conservative interpretation of the Russian Orthodox identity. Both the Jehovah’s Witnesses and democratic and pro-Western Ukraine, according to this ideology, threaten Russia’s “spiritual security” and should be destroyed.https://bitterwinter.org/the-liquida...ses-in-russia/
I highly doubt the Jehovah's Witnesses are the intended target with this thing Russia is doing labeling groups extremists. They aren't any real threat.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:38 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I highly doubt the Jehovah's Witnesses are the intended target with this thing Russia is doing labeling groups extremists. They aren't any real threat.
But didn’t you also say:
Quote:
They are being targeted. Once again, the Watchtower puts their followers in harm's way with their blatant arrogance. The government lays down some laws regarding recruiting and the Watchtower flaunts them to create mrytars they can scare the other members with. They aren't the only church subjected to these rules. The LDS complied keeping their members safe.

This isn't the only time the Watchtower has been instrumental in the deaths of their membership. I was told graphic stories as a kid about Malawi.
Look, I’m no great fan of the JW method of attracting followers (although in my area they usually don’t recruit people aggressively and either wait for you to approach them in public or take “no” for an answer and leave you alone if they knock on your front door and you’re not interested in private). Regardless, they shouldn’t be persecuted for their beliefs, and given how they’ve been targeted for persecution throughout history, it shouldn’t be any great shock that the Russian government is targeting them now.

Old 11-08-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
But didn’t you also say:

Look, I’m no great fan of the JW method of attracting followers (although in my area they usually don’t recruit people aggressively and either wait for you to approach them in public or take “no” for an answer and leave you alone if they knock on your front door and you’re not interested in private). Regardless, they shouldn’t be persecuted for their beliefs, and given how they’ve been targeted for persecution throughout history, it shouldn’t be any great shock that the Russian government is targeting them now.
I am agreeing they are in harm's way now because of the Watchtower's actions. They push the paranoia thing so hard it must be terrifying for them when the government does arrest people. The Watchtower refused to comply with the "no proselyting" rule. That decision was made by a group of guys in New York who were in no danger. I don't think they were the intended targets of the extremism thing which is why is all they had to do was comply and fly under the radar. I think that rule was made to shut down genuine descent. It's not a free country as far as I'm concerned so they gotta do what they gotta do to stay safe. The Watchtower is no real threat to anyone outside of those who either belong to it or have family/friends in there. Which is pretty much the only people that care.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:18 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
I am agreeing they are in harm's way now because of the Watchtower's actions. They push the paranoia thing so hard it must be terrifying for them when the government does arrest people. The Watchtower refused to comply with the "no proselyting" rule. That decision was made by a group of guys in New York who were in no danger. I don't think they were the intended targets of the extremism thing which is why is all they had to do was comply and fly under the radar. I think that rule was made to shut down genuine descent. It's not a free country as far as I'm concerned so they gotta do what they gotta do to stay safe. The Watchtower is no real threat to anyone outside of those who either belong to it or have family/friends in there. Which is pretty much the only people that care.
They are so egregiously misguided and autocratic that it borders on evil all the time! The leaders are not benevolent, IMO.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:57 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times
Quote:
The Russian Government with the Russian Orthodox church does not agree with you with the list on extremists:
Violent extremists such as neo-Nazi groups and Islamic State appear on the list. At least 400 local Jehovah's Witnesses groups are currently designated as extremist or terrorist, according to a Reuters analysis of the Russian list

In January, a 56-year-old female Jehovah's Witness was sentenced to six years in a penal colony for extremism. The following month, a 64-year-old man was handed a six-year sentence on the same charge.https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...aw-2022-03-31/

Old 11-09-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
The Russian Government with the Russian Orthodox church does not agree with you with the list on extremists:
Violent extremists such as neo-Nazi groups and Islamic State appear on the list. At least 400 local Jehovah's Witnesses groups are currently designated as extremist or terrorist, according to a Reuters analysis of the Russian list

In January, a 56-year-old female Jehovah's Witness was sentenced to six years in a penal colony for extremism. The following month, a 64-year-old man was handed a six-year sentence on the same charge.https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...aw-2022-03-31/

Letting the members take the hit for their arrogance, classic Watchtower move.

I think the Watchtower is extremists. Do you know what they believe? Outlandish would be an understatement. Do you know what happens to non compliant people inside that group? The only reason they don't kill apostates like they believe the Bible commands is because it's illegal. Which is kinda inconsistent when they will prostylize even tho illegal. KW, an JW poster on here can confirm that.

That said. Being autonomy is my highest ideal I can't condone going after people simply for what they believe. They don't believe in autonomy tho but that doesn't negate it for me.

Old 11-11-2022, 07:11 AM

412 posts, read 137,726 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycZpEXxOHvA

Even if you disagree with their beliefs, even so is it should not be way to treat people you don't agree with.
This is why I get so irritated with those who whine and moan about the freedom of religion that is allowed in some countries. Why not relocate to a European country like Russia that aligns with their beliefs, and we can all be happy?

Old 11-28-2022, 11:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycZpEXxOHvA

Even if you disagree with their beliefs, even so is it should not be way to treat people you don't agree with.
Just reading some of the comments reminds me of that Rolling Stone song titled, "Sympathy for the Devil."
How much loathing is there in one's heart to justify the thuggery of totalitarian governments. Cast blame on the adherents/faiths as if they asked for it. Really? JWs and other Christian faiths that are persecuted in Russia are in the same category as ISIS? Planting a Bible is the same as planting a bomb? Sharing one's faith peaceably is worthy of torture? SMH.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Just reading some of the comments reminds me of that Rolling Stone song titled, "Sympathy for the Devil."
How much loathing is there in one's heart to justify the thuggery of totalitarian governments. Cast blame on the adherents/faiths as if they asked for it. Really? JWs and other Christian faiths that are persecuted in Russia are in the same category as ISIS? Planting a Bible is the same as planting a bomb? Sharing one's faith peaceably is worthy of torture? SMH.
The Watchtower is totalitarian. If you are against that leave lest you suffer moral injury for playing along and abusing others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality