Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2022, 10:51 PM

50,193 posts, read 23,824,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You mean the God who is comprised of a hundred trillion galaxies or is infinite? How much of the hundred trillion cells of your body that you are comprised of do you have control over, Thrill?
So he's not all powerful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 12:21 AM

63,423 posts, read 39,673,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So he's not all powerful?
I have said all along that the Omni's are something we humans dreamed up as necessary for God to qualify to be God! There is no other reason for them. They may or may not be true. The only one my panentheism embraces is omnipresence.

Old 11-18-2022, 08:13 AM

11,900 posts, read 6,476,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Being retired I have a lot of time to reflect. Lately I have been reflecting on the decision I made 10 years ago to leave Jesus and Christianity.
Thrillobyte,
The fact that you are pulled so strongly to “reflect” on your past decision, and to come here and post often, to question, to debate, to preach, to argue, and to listen — tells me that there is still a hidden longing, a hunger and restlessness to connect with something that’s “authentically” spiritual. I say hidden because it is deeper and quieter than the level of your thoughts, ego, and emotions.

Old 11-18-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
What kind of a God I wonder keeps himself completely unknown to humans. If you're going to argue he reveals himself to us every day I would say the vast majority of people who are atheist, agnostics or nones will swear they have never seen or experienced anything resembling a revelation of a supernatural entity. If you're going to say our eyes are closed I would say it is Christians who have dreamed up some really foolish theories of God revealing himself. A real God wouldn't leave the vast majority of mankind including science oblivious to his presence, don't you think, Mystic?
I can’t answer for Mystic, but you are anthropomorphizing God with human and gender qualities. That’s organized “religion.” Not the authentic spiritual experience of God.

For those of us who experience God, it is not an “unknown.” God reveals itself continually, many of us are not “oblivious” to God, but not in the way you refer to God as a gender with supernatural human qualities like a magician pulling out miracles from a hat….
But due to the limitations of our temporary human condition/incarnation we end up having to surrender to the mystery of it all. I know this irks you intellectually, but for many of us it is what it is……

Old 11-18-2022, 09:03 AM

18,190 posts, read 16,761,399 times
Quote:
You mean the God who is comprised of a hundred trillion galaxies or is infinite? How much of the hundred trillion cells of your body that you are comprised of do you have control over, Thrill?

You mean God is made up of everything in the universe?????? What did he mean when he said, "LEt us created man in our image?

Old 11-18-2022, 09:04 AM

18,190 posts, read 16,761,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I can’t answer for Mystic, but you are anthropomorphizing God with human and gender qualities. That’s organized “religion.” Not the authentic spiritual experience of God.

For those of us who experience God, it is not an “unknown.” God reveals itself continually, many of us are not “oblivious” to God, but not in the way you refer to God as a gender with supernatural human qualities like a magician pulling out miracles from a hat….
But due to the limitations of our temporary human condition/incarnation we end up having to surrender to the mystery of it all. I know this irks you intellectually, but for many of us it is what it is……

You say, "For those who experience God.." So why is God so selective about who he allows to experience him?

Old 11-18-2022, 09:30 AM

50,193 posts, read 23,824,373 times
Quote:
Thrillobyte,
The fact that you are pulled so strongly to “reflect” on your past decision, and to come here and post often, to question, to debate, to preach, to argue, and to listen — tells me that there is still a hidden longing, a hunger and restlessness to connect with something that’s “authentically” spiritual. I say hidden because it is deeper and quieter than the level of your thoughts, ego, and emotions.
That seems to be what religionists always want to believe about those who speak out against religion and religious beliefs...rather than simply taking someone at face value.

After all, we could turn it around and say that mountainrose's attempt to focus in on Thrillobyte's beliefs shows that mountainrose has deep doubts about his own beliefs.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:07 AM

63,423 posts, read 39,673,771 times
Quote:

You cannot encounter God and have any doubts or think anything is unknown! Our human speculations and specifications are the only things that can be in doubt. They are all over the place. But the agape love is unmistakable even if we cannot reconcile it with the suffering and misery that can exist here.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:43 PM

]
Quote:
But the agape love is unmistakable even if we cannot reconcile it with the suffering and misery that can exist here.

Well-stated!
This is the enigmatic conflict so many of us face on the spiritual path, and I compassionately understand how it often becomes the gateway for atheists — how could there be a loving God that allows this level of suffering and stupidity? Every organized religion from the beginning of history has tried to come to terms with it in various stories, myths, doctrines, philosophies, revelations…..

Old 11-18-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You say, "For those who experience God.." So why is God so selective about who he allows to experience him?
First — you’re anthropomorphizing again— assuming God is a man and acts like a human.

But that’s a good question— I wrote that too quickly, as I think that actually everyone DOES have experiences of God, but perhaps because it’s not what many expected as “God” it’s received and interpreted so differently.

My belief is we are HERE as humans to know God……..or not.
I’ve come to that belief/opinion from my own personal journey and from observing others in this slippery spiritual roller coaster of human incarnation for decades now.

And again I’ll ask — why are you here debating, questioning, arguing, learning, if there’s not some restlessness, some longing or hunger UNDERNEATH the intellectual assurances…..

You are angry and feel betrayed because your “religious” idea of God didn’t answer your prayers the way you expected and wanted. I sincerely apologize if I am interpreting that wrong.
I’ve had crisis after crisis in my life — and I get angry, disappointed, depressed but I’m old enough to know how this works—- they’ve all brought deep valuable life lessons, dots are connected, life flows on….we grow and hopefully mature spiritually — it’s WAY BIGGER than whether a prayer gets answered your way— as others mentioned your prayer was answered through the right doctor and medicine that came available.
But the bigger lesson was it provoked a huge spiritual upheaval in you that’s still being worked out —even right here in your impulse to start this thread…….
Happy journey!!!!

Last edited by mountainrose; 11-18-2022 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality