Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 12:45 AM

58 posts, read 35,471 times

Advertisements

You could look at being a tax collector or prostitute, that way if your wrong jesus will still love you and you’ll get in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 01:29 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
In Bayesian terms, Dr. Sagan was wrong.

Absence of evidence is evidence of absence, as absence of evidence for X is what one would expect if X did not exist. It is not conclusive evidence, or strong evidence, but is evidence.
Indeed. I'd say that the absence of evidence can be extremely strong.

What evidence do we have that tyrannosaurs are extinct? Primarily the fact that we can't seem to find any extant ones.

Does bigfoot exist? Or faeries? Apparently not, as indicated by the lack of any specimens of either.

Is there a supergiant star within 10 light-years of Earth? No. Period. We know this because we don't detect such a thing.

Did Dr. Sagan kill JFK? Apparently not, which we can conclude based solely on the lack of affirmative evidence implicating him.

In scientific experiments, a null result is most certainly evidence. For example, if I hypothesize that eating crayons grants relatively longevity, and a systemic study shows that crayon-eaters live no longer than those in a control group, then the absence of evidence (that the said activity of eating crayons is a life-extender) is indeed evidence of the absence of the proposed result.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"
is less an argument and more a widely-parroted cliche.

Old 11-27-2022, 04:19 PM

993 posts, read 782,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Rocky, from the Urantia book, section of Lazazrus being raised from the dead:

"168:1.9 (1844.8) And so, on this Thursday afternoon at about half past two o’clock, was the stage all set in this little hamlet of Bethany for the enactment of the greatest of all works connected with the earth ministry of Michael of Nebadon, the greatest manifestation of divine power during his incarnation in the flesh, since his own resurrection occurred after he had been liberated from the bonds of mortal habitation."

Little question for you, Rocky: why is the lazarus thing the greatest of all Jesus' miracles when Jesus did the same thing earlier to Jairus' daughter as reported in Mark

1 He took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha koum!” (which means “Little girl, I say to you, get up!”). 42 Immediately the [dead] girl stood up and began to walk around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished.
Because she was not dead, only in a coma.
Daughter, I say to you, awake and arise!” And when the girl heard these words, she immediately rose up and walked across the room. And presently, after she had recovered from her daze, Jesus directed that they should give her something to eat, for she had been a long time without food.

152:1.2 (1699.2) Since there was much agitation in Capernaum against Jesus, he called the family together and explained that the maiden had been in a state of coma following a long fever, and that he had merely aroused her, that he had not raised her from the dead. He likewise explained all this to his apostles, but it was futile; they all believed he had raised the little girl from the dead. What Jesus said in explanation of many of these apparent miracles had little effect on his followers. They were miracle-minded and lost no opportunity to ascribe another wonder to Jesus. Jesus and the apostles returned to Bethsaida after he had specifically charged all of them that they should tell no man.
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...pernaum-crisis

Old 12-03-2022, 05:41 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I left Christianity, but not God. God is not exclusive to Christianity, but it seems many people feel like that is the situation. I spend a lot of time reading about different faiths, and historical data, and then made my decision that I am very much at peace with. To me, that is the key, the belief that one has that brings them peace is the correct one. So many people are unsettled in their faith, and are very likely to strike out with anger against those that don't share their belief(s). When you have found your "answer" to faith, nothing compares to the peace that you have.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:57 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I left Christianity, but not God. God is not exclusive to Christianity, but it seems many people feel like that is the situation. I spend a lot of time reading about different faiths, and historical data, and then made my decision that I am very much at peace with. To me, that is the key, the belief that one has that brings them peace is the correct one. So many people are unsettled in their faith, and are very likely to strike out with anger against those that don't share their belief(s). When you have found your "answer" to faith, nothing compares to the peace that you have.
Very good points.
Well said.
God can be found everywhere - which is called Pantheism I believe.

Old 12-03-2022, 07:02 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is less an argument and more a widely-parroted cliche.
Agreed. It has been seized upon by theists who are tacitly admitting they have no evidence and then trying to say that doesn't matter at all.

The thing about god that's different from the things we have bountiful evidence for, is he conveniently exists in some invisible realm where he can't be examined and people have gotten used to special pleading around that. God COULD exist, MIGHT exist, is believed by many to exist, and because he's uniquely exempt from providing evidence of his existence, the lack of evidence doesn't prove he's a figment of people's imaginations. In fact to conclude he doesn't exist is to stake a claim of omnipotence on your own behalf, because you'd have to be everywhere and everywhen to "prove" the non-existence of god.

That is not really the claim we're staking though. We're saying not that god doesn't exist, but that there's no evidence he exists, and we can't afford belief to something / someone for which there is zero evidence.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:06 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
We don't measure time in BC/AD anymore. After the Enlightenment it was changed to CE--Common Era.

Why is a Christian's only fallback, "God sent the doctor"? Maybe God didn't do anything. Maybe science sent the doctor. Ever think of that?
In a few weeks...you will write "2023" on every dateline.
Especially for legal/financial documents and such.
Why is it considered to be "2023"? What is the basis for that?
Every time you write "2023" on a dateline...make sure you genuflect and supplicate to the sacred power and influence of the greatest person to ever live!
So epic and prolific is His influence...they mark time by His birth!
Many would say that it is best if you, Learn that...Know that...and Live that!!
No matter...it will be part of your life, and you will be ruled by its Divine influence and inspiration.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Well, you bring up an epic point here, bjh. One of the greatest enemies to Christianity is practicality and logic, because when one uses their logic and looks around for evidence God helps us they see absolutely no evidence of a supernatural being operating in this world. To answer your question, a "good" person (like God is supposed to be) would reach down and save that child. A "Good" God would eradicate things that are harmful to us. But the downside to that is that the earth would get overpopulated in no time if everyone was living to ripe of ages of 120 or so.

It isn't practical to expect a God to help us in this world--because he'll either being blamed for not caring about us or for upsetting the natural order of things and causing the earth to overpopulate and then causing mass extinction after mass extinction. We really need a world the size of Jupiter. Our planet cannot contain 8 billion people which is where we're at after roughly only 10,000 years of general population growth.

There's a Christian on this board who claims God answer every prayer she sends up. Against that there's millions of Christians who claim God has never answered a single prayer they have prayed, including millions of parents over the years who have prayed for their child to be healed of cancer and the child died anyway. So what's going on? Is God playing favorites or is this Christian trying to sell us a bill of goods? That is the question, but I can never get a straight answer from the Christians.
Again...you state your (common, though illogical) belief that if everything is not "perfect" for everyone, all the time (as per your personal preference and definition of that)...that is proof that "God" does not exist.
You base this on a literal interpretation of the descriptions of "God" found in ancient metaphorical and allegorical works of literary art.
And this is where you mess-up from the get-go.
Fix that primary, root mistake (that obviously plagues you constantly)...and you will come to greater understanding and knowledge.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:38 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
In a few weeks...you will write "2023" on every dateline.
Especially for legal/financial documents and such.
Why is it considered to be "2023"? What is the basis for that?
Every time you write "2023" on a dateline...make sure you genuflect and supplicate to the sacred power and influence of the greatest person to ever live!
A fictional bad philosopher who allegedly created your god, but who never actually lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
So epic and prolific is His influence...they mark time by His birth!
Many would say that it is best if you, Learn that...Know that...and Live that!!
No matter...it will be part of your life, and you will be ruled by its Divine influence and inspiration.
Ruled by the miscalculated birth date of a fictional character.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
A fictional bad philosopher who allegedly created your god, but who never actually lived.

Ruled by the miscalculated birth date of a fictional character.
Bothers ya, huh?
Most unfortunate...best wishes for resolving that problem...I will keep you in my best thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality