Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2022, 10:52 AM

412 posts, read 134,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It's true God doesn't care if you believe in Him. He loves you anyway.

I tried Christianity, but I didn't like all the twisted logic. I struggled with the question of God's existence into my 50s. Then one day walking through a meadow outside Elgin, IL I was so upset by the not knowing that I had a cathartic moment demanding to know if He was there, and if He was I was going to have to get a sign. That night I went to bed exhausted and upset still. Then I had the most beautiful dream that suffused me with feelings of being loved -- it was like a great uplifting, warm hug. I woke the next morning refreshed and knew my question had been answered.

Leave religion to the churches, God is everywhere. And yes, you are loved.
How do you know this? Romans 9:3 Says the Christian God loved Jacob and hated Esau. How do you determine whom the God loves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 10:57 AM

50,119 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Oh, puh-LEEZ. You keep thinking that because God Himself didn't swoop down and heal you, that God didn't heal you AT ALL. You were healed, right? Don't you get that God often delegates?

If you went to Bill Gates and asked him for some money, and he sent you to different firm that he owned, are you going to say that Bill Gates didn't help you? If you go to your parents for help with math, and they sent you to a tutor, are you going to say that your parents "didn't help you"?

I get answers to prayers all the time, thrill. And it's not because God Himself came swooping down and stood in front of me. I get that God doesn't work that way. Like I said above, God often delegates. He works through others. Sometimes He 'inspires' us to do something we didn't even think about doing, WITHOUT His inspiration.

Why can't it be both?

Oh brother...
The bolded. How do you know that? If so, how do know when he does? You're just making stuff up.

How do you KNOW how god works? Are you a goddess?

Old 12-09-2022, 11:17 AM

50,119 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
How do you know this? Romans 9:3 Says the Christian God loved Jacob and hated Esau. How do you determine whom the God loves?
Exactly.

It's a case of 'I wanna believe...'

Old 12-09-2022, 11:36 AM

17,606 posts, read 13,425,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
In a few weeks...you will write "2023" on every dateline.
Especially for legal/financial documents and such.
Why is it considered to be "2023"? What is the basis for that?
Every time you write "2023" on a dateline...make sure you genuflect and supplicate to the sacred power and influence of the greatest person to ever live!
So epic and prolific is His influence...they mark time by His birth!
Many would say that it is best if you, Learn that...Know that...and Live that!!
No matter...it will be part of your life, and you will be ruled by its Divine influence and inspiration.
It is so "epic" that we don't know the date of his birth and instead placed it on the date of Roman pagan tradition.

The date of his death and resurrection is also unknown. And again, we celebrate it as a combination of the Jewish tradition of passover combined with a pagan tradition. And for this one we actually kept the pagan name. And instead of actually using an actual "date" we celebrate it using the equinox and full moons. What the heck is that all about.

And what's even funnier is that the calendar we use was coopted from the Julian Calendar which existed hundreds of years before. And the irony is that we know the exact date when Julius Caeser was born and when he died.

In closing
Merry Mithras and a Happy New Year based on the Gregorian Calendar to all.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:54 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It is so "epic" that we don't know the date of his birth and instead placed it on the date of Roman pagan tradition.

The date of his death and resurrection is also unknown. And again, we celebrate it as a combination of the Jewish tradition of passover combined with a pagan tradition. And for this one we actually kept the pagan name. And instead of actually using an actual "date" we celebrate it using the equinox and full moons. What the heck is that all about.

And what's even funnier is that the calendar we use was coopted from the Julian Calendar which existed hundreds of years before. And the irony is that we know the exact date when Julius Caeser was born and when he died.

In closing
The way certain theists beclown themselves by perceiving deep and profound meaning on the enumeration of the modern Western calendar (2023! God!) while simultaneously insisting on the complete irrelevance of the names of the English days of the week (Thursday! Wednesday! Totally not Thor or Odin at all!) is always entertaining.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,603,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The way certain theists beclown themselves by perceiving deep and profound meaning on the enumeration of the modern Western calendar (2023! God!) while simultaneously insisting on the complete irrelevance of the names of the English days of the week (Thursday! Wednesday! Totally not Thor or Odin at all!) is always entertaining.
It is common knowledge that the calender year has to do with the birth of Jesus, and the days of the week are coined after some celestial things (Sun & Moon) and mythological representative God entities (as you noted).
Few think otherwise.
Now...which ones they put credence in or embrace, is another issue.
But most all are aware of the base representation of the names.
Though...some don't even know that. Not that it matters.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:36 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,603,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

In closing
For some, the current epic & prolific mojo of Jesus bothers them...a lot.
Most unfortunate...best wishes for them resolving that problem...I will keep them in my best thoughts.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,490,742 times
Quote:
I know God loves us all.

Old 12-09-2022, 01:06 PM

412 posts, read 134,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I know God loves us all.
Are you saying Romans 9:13 is a lie? And what about this regarding the lineage of Esau?

Old 12-09-2022, 01:32 PM

743 posts, read 446,687 times
Quote:
Are you saying Romans 9:13 is a lie? And what about this regarding the lineage of Esau?
Paul is quoting Malachi so your question doesn't really make sense - if you read all of Chapter 9, you will see where Paul is going and is where is anguish is coming from. There are many difficult/confusing/seemingly contradictive parts of the Bible. Theologians for the last 2,000 and some of the smartest people to walk the planet have been aware of them and there are commentaries easily found on the internet. You think you’re the first one to discover a difficult saying in scripture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality