Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 12:47 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,791,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My idea of all-loving is to play the role that a good father plays.
Does a "good father" discipline his children?

Does a "good father" sometimes punish his child(ren)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 12:51 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Does a "good father" discipline his children?

Does a "good father" sometimes punish his child(ren)?
Allowing people to be placed in slavery is not disciplining them.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:13 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
The earth is a gold mine and God is after the gold.
What is not gold is ignored and what is gold is kept.
One can choose to be gold or remain useless dirt, your call.
In some ways it is like walking the woods and observing all the living creatures, and during the discovery some critters choose to flee, and some choose to befriend.
They that choose to befriend are given attention and even fed, but those that run off are given nothing.
I befriended grey squirrels as a kid so I under stand this. I had a group of five but 2 were especially trusting.
These critters knew me and came when the saw me and knew I came out there to feed them, they even came when I called them. they did not come to just any one but me because I earned their trust, and it worked both ways. I fed them by hand they never bit me.
I favored those that trusted me and gave them more attention and food, even gave them material for their nests.
God favors those that trust Him and listen to what He has to say. And those that don't trust Him do not get this attention.
Just because you can't manipulate God does not mean He's not there.
If there is sin in the way He is not going to reward sin. Sin is rebellion. (Selfishly governed)
Fallowing the practices of a religion does not manipulate God seeing He knows your heart and what motivates you.
If one's sin is not recognized for the offence it is, there is no remorse, no repentance.
First words of Jesus ministry is repent.
Many churches say come as you are, but unless there is repentance your not meeting God's requirement.
Some come with the attitude God fix the problem I have, but I don't have any intention of changing my life.
I have dealt with healings and often times it is sin that is the crux of the problem. Once the sin is dealt with the healing is provided.
The Spirit of God does not dwell in one that demons have been given license, and vice versa. and sin is a means license is given evil spirits.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:19 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Christianity doesn't "abuse" people. PEOPLE abuse people. And some people use Christianity for their own selfish purposes.

A.K.A., some people abuse Christianity.

When Christianity says, "Accept Jesus as your savior or you'll go to hell and burn forever",

THAT'S ABUSE!

Old 01-10-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The earth is a gold mine and God is after the gold.
What is not gold is ignored and what is gold is kept.
One can choose to be gold or remain useless dirt, your call.
In some ways it is like walking the woods and observing all the living creatures, and during the discovery some critters choose to flee, and some choose to befriend.
They that choose to befriend are given attention and even fed, but those that run off are given nothing.
I befriended grey squirrels as a kid so I under stand this. I had a group of five but 2 were especially trusting.
These critters knew me and came when the saw me and knew I came out there to feed them, they even came when I called them. they did not come to just any one but me because I earned their trust, and it worked both ways. I fed them by hand they never bit me.
I favored those that trusted me and gave them more attention and food, even gave them material for their nests.
God favors those that trust Him and listen to what He has to say. And those that don't trust Him do not get this attention.
Just because you can't manipulate God does not mean He's not there.
If there is sin in the way He is not going to reward sin. Sin is rebellion. (Selfishly governed)
Fallowing the practices of a religion does not manipulate God seeing He knows your heart and what motivates you.
If one's sin is not recognized for the offence it is, there is no remorse, no repentance.
First words of Jesus ministry is repent.
Many churches say come as you are, but unless there is repentance your not meeting God's requirement.
Some come with the attitude God fix the problem I have, but I don't have any intention of changing my life.
I have dealt with healings and often times it is sin that is the crux of the problem. Once the sin is dealt with the healing is provided.
The Spirit of God does not dwell in one that demons have been given license, and vice versa. and sin is a means license is given evil spirits.

Just like God to play favorites and choose only who he feels are the most subservient for worshiping him and bowing and scraping before him 24/7 for eternity. What an ego God has! Like his feelings are going to be bruised and damaged beyond recovery if even one person doesn't feel like bowing before him. God needs a good therapist.

""WAHHH! BOO-HOO! People don't want to praise and worship me day and night. My feelings are hurt sooooooo bad! I'm gonna have to burn a hundred billion people in hell for eternity because they bruised my ego. WAHHHH!"

Why doesn't God grow up and stop acting like a <<cut>> little 2-year old!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by thrillobyte; 01-10-2023 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Unacceptable language in this forum.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Allowing people to be placed in slavery is not disciplining them.
Oh, STOP it already. God didn't choose slavery; PEOPLE did. People used their own free will to choose slavery.

You may think, "Well, God should have stopped that."

But God ain't gonna mess with free will.

Yanno, my ex- husband -- now deceased -- was in the Air Force for 20 years. He had a friend named "Tom" (Yup, his real name) who would come over to our house, while we were stationed in England, and stay overnight, once a month.

Tom and my ex (Let's call him "John") would talk for hours. Laughing, eating, drinking and the like.

One day, they were talking about their service in the military...how the military pretty much "owned" them, and how their life was not really their own. They regarded themselves as "slaves" to the military/government.

Lousy pay, lousy hours. Can be called upon any time, any day of the week to do whatever the government wanted. Whether it's to shoot some 'bad' guys, or to dig a ditch, just to fill it back up again. They couldn't just leave. Well...they could, but if they were caught, there'd be hell to pay.

So, there was my ex husband "John". Who "served" his "master" for 20 years.

Did he think that was a "slave" to the government?

Yup.

And he loved EVERY SINGLE MOMENT.

Not all slaves are abused, phet.

Maybe instead of thinking about some horrors that some slaves felt, concentrate on the benefits some slaves gave to the world.

My ex--now late husband viewed himself as a "slave." And yes, in a sense he was. After all, he was drafted into the military. If that ain't slavery, I don't know what is.

Think about it.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
When Christianity says, "Accept Jesus as your savior or you'll go to hell and burn forever",

THAT'S ABUSE!
Not.
ALL.
Christians.
Believe.
That.
Thrill.

Nice thing about being a Catholic. We don't believe in ONLY heaven or hell. And while *you* may say, "there' no biblical proof of purgatory", we would tell you that there's no "biblical proof" that there's NOT a purgatory.

Sorry thrill, but I don't see God as an "either/or" kind of God

Sorry if YOU do...

Old 01-10-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Not.
ALL.
Christians.
Believe.
That.
Thrill.

Nice thing about being a Catholic. We don't believe in ONLY heaven or hell. And while *you* may say, "there' no biblical proof of purgatory", we would tell you that there's no "biblical proof" that there's NOT a purgatory.

Sorry thrill, but I don't see God as an "either/or" kind of God

Sorry if YOU do...

Well, that's how I was trained to believe about God. As a Catholic, AAMOF.

The nuns used to terrify us with this "You're gonna burn in hell for all eternity if you French kiss that girl. That's a mortal sin!" They were mostly frigid old biddies foisting their hangups about men onto us innocent boys. That's child abuse too.

Old 01-10-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, that's how I was trained to believe about God. As a Catholic, AAMOF.

The nuns used to terrify us with this "You're gonna burn in hell for all eternity if you French kiss that girl. That's a mortal sin!" They were mostly frigid old biddies foisting their hangups about men onto us innocent boys. That's child abuse too.
Sorry sweetie, but you're a GROWN UP now. I had nuns who terrified me, too. I lived with a grandparent who used to use the same tactics of, "That's a SIN!" on me.

Of course, it had nothing to do with her LYING to a taxi driver, telling the driver that she was a "partial invalid" who couldn't walk that well (she could) And this was from a "Christian/Catholic" woman who prayed her Rosary every day.

I mean seriously thrill, did you ever think that your "training" was wrong?

Took me years, but I DID come to understand that.

To me, tossing out the whole idea of Christianity is like tossing the Infant Jesus out with the baptisimal bathwater....

Old 01-10-2023, 03:20 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Oh, STOP it already. God didn't choose slavery; PEOPLE did. People used their own free will to choose slavery.

You may think, "Well, God should have stopped that."

But God ain't gonna mess with free will.

Yanno, my ex- husband -- now deceased -- was in the Air Force for 20 years. He had a friend named "Tom" (Yup, his real name) who would come over to our house, while we were stationed in England, and stay overnight, once a month.

Tom and my ex (Let's call him "John") would talk for hours. Laughing, eating, drinking and the like.

One day, they were talking about their service in the military...how the military pretty much "owned" them, and how their life was not really their own. They regarded themselves as "slaves" to the military/government.

Lousy pay, lousy hours. Can be called upon any time, any day of the week to do whatever the government wanted. Whether it's to shoot some 'bad' guys, or to dig a ditch, just to fill it back up again. They couldn't just leave. Well...they could, but if they were caught, there'd be hell to pay.

So, there was my ex husband "John". Who "served" his "master" for 20 years.

Did he think that was a "slave" to the government?

Yup.

And he loved EVERY SINGLE MOMENT.

Not all slaves are abused, phet.

Maybe instead of thinking about some horrors that some slaves felt, concentrate on the benefits some slaves gave to the world.

My ex--now late husband viewed himself as a "slave." And yes, in a sense he was. After all, he was drafted into the military. If that ain't slavery, I don't know what is.

Think about it.
I have thought about it long and hard. But for those who keep making excuses for slavery, it should happen to them. Then, perhaps, they'd learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality