Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 01:40 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I agree. Every person has his or her own path but ultimately the destination is the same. What resonates with me may not resonate with the next person. Ergo...choices. Just my belief.
No, the destination is not the same for all paths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 02:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, the destination is not the same for all paths.
How do you know this when you don't believe there ARE paths?

Have you asked yourself why you want so badly for others not to feel God, even if it's not affecting you?

Have you wondered whether you feel left out and are angry, perhaps? I felt like this for a long time.

Ripping down someone else's belief won't cure that. I promise you. When others feel more alone, you don't feel less alone. You just feel like "that person" who rips apart others' stuff so you don't have to see them having it.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:20 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I think he meant "inapt", as in not appropriate. Good word, not often used.

I for one am impressed with such mastery of a third language while I struggle with a late-life attempt at basic Spanish and French, with a bit of my ancestral Dutch thrown in for fun.
Ha. A new word for Scrabble then.

The best of us make mistakes with spelling. Clarifying for meaning is the thing to do.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No, I think he meant "inapt", as in not appropriate. Good word, not often used.

I for one am impressed with such mastery of a third language while I struggle with a late-life attempt at basic Spanish and French, with a bit of my ancestral Dutch thrown in for fun.
Maybe. If he meant inappropriate.

I didn't take it that way since he seemed to be saying the entire principle was wrong, but perhaps. You never know.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
How do you know this when you don't believe there ARE paths?

Have you asked yourself why you want so badly for others not to feel God, even if it's not affecting you?

Have you wondered whether you feel left out and are angry, perhaps? I felt like this for a long time.

Ripping down someone else's belief won't cure that. I promise you. When others feel more alone, you don't feel less alone. You just feel like "that person" who rips apart others' stuff so you don't have to see them having it.
Where did I say there are no paths?

Where did I say that I don't want others to "feel god"?

Diagnose yourself.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Where did I say there are no paths?

Where did I say that I don't want others to "feel god"?

Diagnose yourself.
Paths to God.

You DO believe there are paths to God?

You show over and over again that you want to "prove" to others that there is no God, so let's not be coy.

Old 02-19-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Paths to God.

You DO believe there are paths to God?

You show over and over again that you want to "prove" to others that there is no God, so let's not be coy.
Since I don't believe in god...I guess that answer is rather obvious.

But for the sake of discussing things, I sometimes take a discussion from where it's at. So, presuming there's a god (which I don't), all paths -- for example, the Buddhist path -- do not lead to god. The devil worship path, does not lead to god. There are other paths, as well.

No, it's impossible to "prove" that there's no god. So stop putting words in my mouth.

Old 02-19-2023, 04:37 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Ha. A new word for Scrabble then.

The best of us make mistakes with spelling. Clarifying for meaning is the thing to do.
I hate when I catch my own. Fortunately, I have an advantage most of you don't--unlimited editing time!

Old 02-19-2023, 04:43 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Maybe. If he meant inappropriate.

I didn't take it that way since he seemed to be saying the entire principle was wrong, but perhaps. You never know.
Actually, it is more like "unsuitable", which can be a synonym for "inappropriate", but the latter can be read as something that is wrong rather than something that just doesn't fit.

Harry's pretty careful with his word choices. He uses this forum, in part, to practice English and will gladly stand corrected in order to learn. I don't see him calling the analogies "inept" because that really doesn't make sense.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:02 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Actually, it is more like "unsuitable", which can be a synonym for "inappropriate", but the latter can be read as something that is wrong rather than something that just doesn't fit.

Harry's pretty careful with his word choices. He uses this forum, in part, to practice English and will gladly stand corrected in order to learn. I don't see him calling the analogies "inept" because that really doesn't make sense.
Inept in forming an analogy. That is a deeply contested aspect of language that is common in many of the threads dealing with R&S in particular. Spiritual language relies on analogies and metaphors and they are often questioned by materialists. As in, the poster being inept in forming them, that the analogies don't work.
Not at al surprised that "inept" was indeed meant. It could just be a typo, no big deal. We will know soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality