Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2023, 09:11 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Does anti-semitism begin only after or did it exist prior to Christianity?

“Hostility against Jews may date back nearly as far as Jewish history. In the ancient empires of Babylonia, Greece, and Rome, Jews—who originated in the ancient kingdom of Judea—were often criticized and persecuted for their efforts to remain a separate cultural group rather than taking on the religious and social customs of their conquerors.”

https://www.history.com/topics/holocaust/anti-semitism
This post kind of reminds me of the old "well, everybody else had slaves, so it's ok that we had them."

How many verses in the gospels are there where Jesus preaches and teaches against this vindictive behavior.

Sadly, even in those days, my old buddy Bubba Burchmeister's adage seems to ring true. "Most Christians wouldn't know Jesus even if he came up and bit 'em in the a$$". He'd tell you that while he was changin' somebodies oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2023, 10:06 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,005,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This post kind of reminds me of the old "well, everybody else had slaves, so it's ok that we had them."

How many verses in the gospels are there where Jesus preaches and teaches against this vindictive behavior.

Sadly, even in those days, my old buddy Bubba Burchmeister's adage seems to ring true. "Most Christians wouldn't know Jesus even if he came up and bit 'em in the a$$". He'd tell you that while he was changin' somebodies oil.
Well, it is a pity if that is the message that you drew from my post, because that was not said or indicated. Of course one often project one’s own meaning to words, cannot be helped.
Slavery is never justified. Persecution of people is never justified. Studying history can definitely be a means for such justification if that is the intent. It can also be just to expand knowledge, a benign thing.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:16 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
There seem to be competing ideas being discussed. One is that religion, such as Christianity, is responsible for teaching hate, which in this case Christianity brought hate upon the Jewish people. The other is that religion doesn't teach things like that. It is people who do people things like hate or teach hate.

But I don't think the two have to compete. Instead, I would look for a relationship which would be that people use religion as a vehicle to influence others.
It seems to me that this is another instance where religious people (at least christians) want to sort of have it both ways. Christianity teaches love. But christianity doesn't teach hate. That would be okay...until you read the Old Testament; whole lotta hatin' goin' on there. And then to see where a lot of christians, some denominations more than others, seem to be full of hateful behavior. And even if those people are not learning hate from their version of christianity, there version of christianity sure isn't counterbalancing the hate they're getting from some place.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:13 AM

16,751 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why were they stoned to death? Who stoned them? And what do we make of the time discrepancy in the two versions of the story?
I believe he was called a magician who practiced the worship of idols, and encouraged other Jews to do so.

The two versions may be because people invented different histories for Jesus, or it may have been a different Jesus.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:48 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,155,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It seems to me that this is another instance where religious people (at least christians) want to sort of have it both ways. Christianity teaches love. But christianity doesn't teach hate. That would be okay...until you read the Old Testament; whole lotta hatin' goin' on there. And then to see where a lot of christians, some denominations more than others, seem to be full of hateful behavior. And even if those people are not learning hate from their version of christianity, there version of christianity sure isn't counterbalancing the hate they're getting from some place.
Yes. There was one thing my family did not allow and that was to hate others. It didn't matter what was being taught in the church or what "facts" were being shared. For example, the idea that the Jewish people were responsible for Jesus's death was not a reason to dislike them. It also wasn't acceptable to dislike a whole group of people. That was one area where my family was not like others. I am proud of that.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:50 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what I thought. But the OP in his research failed to consult Jewish sources. The OP's topic wasn't whether or not Jesus was anyone special; it was whether Jesus ever existed at all. What are the Jewish sources for a historical Jesus?
Ruth, did you know there are no secular historical sources for Jesus at all?

"The Truth Is…
There Is No Evidence For Jesus Christ Outside the Bible"

https://thechurchoftruth.org/no-evid...outside-bible/

How do you explain that?

Old 02-25-2023, 12:19 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes. There was one thing my family did not allow and that was to hate others. It didn't matter what was being taught in the church or what "facts" were being shared. For example, the idea that the Jewish people were responsible for Jesus's death was not a reason to dislike them. It also wasn't acceptable to dislike a whole group of people. That was one area where my family was not like others. I am proud of that.
As you should be, although there are some groups of people who are hard not to hate...

White supremacists for example. Nazis. People who purposely cut in front of you in line. What we do with these feelings, justified or not, is perhaps the more important thing.

Old 02-25-2023, 01:07 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
As you should be, although there are some groups of people who are hard not to hate...

White supremacists for example. Nazis. People who purposely cut in front of you in line. What we do with these feelings, justified or not, is perhaps the more important thing.
Well said.

Feelings are just that. Feelings. Just feelings.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:52 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

"The Truth Is…

How do you explain that?
I don't know yet, that it's true. I'm still trying to get clarification from our Jewish posters, as to their basis for the historicity of Jesus. Did you look into any Jewish sources?

Old 02-25-2023, 07:04 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

"The Truth Is…

How do you explain that?
Why do you believe "The Church of Truth"?

Because they tell you what you want to hear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality