Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 03:19 PM

1,750 posts, read 752,952 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I was exhausted. Not a lot of sleep as I naturally have sleep issues and then from my youngest keeping me up...then I was moving all day...didn't eat a lot, I did a lot of exercise first thing in the morning...played with my boys...had to deal with fussy boys...cleaned...did chores. Always moving or lifting.

I eventually with about 20 minutes before my husband came home had the luck of both boys napping at once.

I flopped down on the recliner, laid on my back, kicked my feet up and I don't think I moved a muscle once just exhausted until John came in the front door. My mind numb.

I told him if he wanted dinner, he'd need to order in food or expect something simple like French Toast - of course with nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla so it wouldn't be too bad! 21 and already old!

Quote:
"Simplicity is the name we give to our effort to free ourselves to give full attention to God’s still, small voice: the sum of our efforts to subtract from our lives everything that competes with God for our attention and clear hearing." -Lloyd Lee Wilson

"Peace is a gift, but it does not come magically through our passivity. Only in our faithful response to God’s call do we receive God’s peace." -Sandra Cronk, 1942-2000

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” -Matthew 11:28-30

“It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows; For so He gives His beloved sleep.” -Psalm 127:2

“But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” -Isaiah 40:31
What are all of your spiritual/religious quotes for exhaustion? Any stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 03:34 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
"I was told to wait on the Lord for an answer. So I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Still waiting. And very exhausted. Still".

Old 11-15-2022, 07:03 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I'd just get plenty of rest, a good meal, and maybe some time in nature. That's my solution to exhaustion. No sayings to offer.

Old 11-16-2022, 09:09 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
QB, there is nothing more demanding in every department (and ultimately, potentially thankless, TBH) than being a parent.

Just don't make the mistake my daughter made, and have FIVE of them, lol. Currently they range from 4 to 19 years old, and at least one is out of the nest, and another ready to fledge. She is 43 and still feels like you every day. If you play your cards right, your 40s will be far less ... interesting, lol.

I had two children, and in retrospect frankly don't know how I did it. But I did. For a time, as a single parent, too.

One time when my daughter was about 12 or 13 I told her that I would take her with me on a business trip if she would write a report about it (I was home schooling her at the time). She's now a trade journalist in the health care field and a licensed nurse, and recently she wrote a meta-piece about writing in which she recounted this event in very fond / warm terms and included a detail I had forgotten. When we got home she enthusiastically wrote up her report and when I read it I shook my head and said, this assumes I know all about the trip and all about us and the destination; it's just stream-of-consciousness repeating of stuff happening. Rewrite it from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't know you or me or the destination. Paint them a picture, so that they can visualize themselves having your experience.

She went back and rewrote it with that in mind and I gave her an A on it. And she now says that has always stuck with her, to write from the viewpoint of your audience, to always be mindful to correctly discern who your audience is.

These are the offhand moments you live for as a parent -- those times when you think you are just doing what you do every day, but it really connects and means something to the child -- even if you hear about it decades after the fact. These are the things that keep you going. Have faith that they will happen, even when your child is being a little booger, as they will often be. What they will ultimately remember is not your exhaustion, but that you were always there for them.

You sound like a wonderful, dedicated mother.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:26 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
I liken raising our 5 kiddos to the Israelites '40 years in the desert' :
- thriving but only by prayer and the Eucharist one day at a time!

Old 11-16-2022, 10:40 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Yesterday, I was exhausted. Not a lot of sleep as I naturally have sleep issues and then from my youngest keeping me up...then I was moving all day...didn't eat a lot, I did a lot of exercise first thing in the morning...played with my boys...had to deal with fussy boys...cleaned...did chores. Always moving or lifting.

I eventually with about 20 minutes before my husband came home had the luck of both boys napping at once.

I flopped down on the recliner, laid on my back, kicked my feet up and I don't think I moved a muscle once just exhausted until John came in the front door. My mind numb.

I told him if he wanted dinner, he'd need to order in food or expect something simple like French Toast - of course with nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla so it wouldn't be too bad! 21 and already old!

I started reading this thread with interest, because just yesterday I found myself feeling sluggish as a result of too little sleep the night before, but then I got to the part about you wanting our "spiritual/religious quotes for exhaustion," and I feel left out. Too bad so sad if the notion here is that we atheists don't have good quotes, stories and/or advice when it comes to such things...

Old 11-16-2022, 12:32 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” ~ Luke 10:41-42

Old 11-16-2022, 12:47 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:

I think it hardly has to do anything with religion.

Sounds more like a work/life balance and perhaps some medical issue related to sleeping disorders?

Usually a power nap may help whenever you get one.

Perhaps John and you can take turns where one looks after the kids and other takes an hour off to take a good nap during the day?

No religious or non-religious wisdom and encouragement quotes can replace the lack of sleep.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:51 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:

You are a young mother with two small children and a house to run. Of course you are exhausted! No quotes or stories except grab that nap whenever you can! Hugs.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:57 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
If I get too sleepy and sleep, Jesus Holy Spirit tell here to rebuke the groin demons and powers of darkness to Jesus ... No one should be sleeping more than 8 or 9 hours a day ........ If there is a full moon than people should be rebuking the devil to Jesus as many people pass away during the week before the full moon as it attracts the demons to bother people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality