Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2022, 04:15 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
They can't open up, because they will face ridicule if they do. They will keep it to themselves or they will make vague comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So these christians you're talking about...who have the 'all powerful' go on their side are afraid? What cowards.
I do believe your post just made my point ---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 04:47 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I do believe your post just made my point ---
true indeed.
time and time again.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:06 PM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But how does “being spiritual without believing in God and religion”, work?
It's that I believe something started everything and that everything is connected somehow. There may even be a singular creator. It may even be possible that someday we will discover the nature of creation. No one knows, and I don't particularly care.

To think that god talks to man and that any particular religion is divinely inspired is so unlikely that it's easy to dismiss out of hand. Organized religion is noting more that superstition with good PR.

Old 11-28-2022, 05:46 PM

412 posts, read 137,344 times
Quote:
In general, I think a religious person who believes in God and religion, automatically is spiritual.

But how does “being spiritual without believing in God and religion”, work?

I know there may be definitions varying from practitioner to practitioner, but can we have a few explanations or elaboration on this state of awareness?

Those who consider themselves spiritual but not religious, do they believe in life after death?
And what EXACTLY does it mean to be “spiritual” when you don’t believe in the existence God or in any religion?

Do you believe in soul?
If yes, what happens to the soul after death?
I think it stems from and ends with the belief in man. Man is a tangible creature that you can see.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:29 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
true indeed.
time and time again.
Kinda went over your head, huh?

Old 11-28-2022, 07:51 PM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
Quote:
Those who consider themselves spiritual but not religious, do they believe in life after death?
Yes and no. My [eventually] decomposed body will no longer be living organism, but will provide nutrients and organic matter for other living things to spring forth life, as well as replenish the soil for future plant growth. Added to that, the DNA I have passed on to my children will be passed on to any children they may choose to have, along with shared memories, moral lessons, cautionary tales, recipes, and customs that may be remembered long after I and my walking meat suit are forgotten. If that's not life after death, I don't know what is.

Quote:
And what EXACTLY does it mean to be “spiritual” when you don’t believe in the existence God or in any religion?
It could be that they are still exploring their spiritual path and are cautious about sharing it before they feel rooted enough to do so. It could be they have done that already, but no longer feel the need/pressure to align with a specific belief system.

Quote:
Do you believe in soul?
I have no objective evidence to support it, but, yes. I do believe that all organisms have an "essence" or an "energy" that temporarily takes up residence in a body, but transcends death. Maybe in the metaphysical sense (ie. a ghost or spirit or paranormal energy), or maybe in the literal sense (ie. whatever building blocks of life are left after microorganisms do their work). Either way is fine with me.

Quote:
If yes, what happens to the soul after death?
I don't know. Maybe it returns to wherever it was before it came to inhabit it's current earthy vessel.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:43 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
I have always used the definition that spiritual means having a relationship with one's own god whereas religion is having a relationship with someone else's god.

Spirituality simply can mean anything from belief in one's god (as one defines such) to focusing on spiritual/higher consciousness vs the material.

Religious means active in a religion, with dogma, rules rituals and relationships with others who share the same or similar beliefs

Spiritual would be seeking answers to life's questions from within....

Religious would be seeking answers to those questions from others.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:56 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have always used the definition that spiritual means having a relationship with one's own god whereas religion is having a relationship with someone else's god.

Spirituality simply can mean anything from belief in one's god (as one defines such) to focusing on spiritual/higher consciousness vs the material.

Religious means active in a religion, with dogma, rules rituals and relationships with others who share the same or similar beliefs

Couldn't rep again, but I liked this.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:21 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

I have always sought answers to life's questions from both within and from without, including from others...

Not sure I have all the answers, but I think I have enough. Ultimately to conclude no religion for me. No spirituality as typically defined by others either.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:47 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As someone previously "grounded in reality" for 30+ years, I completely relate to your situation. That is why it was such a total shock and life-changing event that required DECADES of search, study, and reasoning to satisfy my current understanding with a new "grounding in Reality."
Seems you can put yourself "in my shoes," but I wonder if you can...

Have you any idea how many different versions of what you describe I have heard and considered over my 30+ years? People who have had no trouble doing what it took you DECADES to do. People who have gone through all manner of what it takes to "find God," and claim they have. Others who claim all one needs to do is open up to the possibility. People talking in tongues. People claiming they have lived previous lives. People who have died and come back from the dead. Claims of seeing golden tablets, burning bushes, angels and demons. The list goes on and on, and for someone like me who is "grounded in reality," how am I to judge any of these claims? Makes no difference how people have come to claim what they do, but if it takes the sort of effort and time you describe, no doubt I'm going to be staying grounded in reality. Even if quite easy like others so often claim, I'm not seeing that as any more likely for me either.

So grounded in reality I remain while you and all the others enjoy whatever else it is you are all enjoying. Not a problem for me, because I'm sure I am just as content where I am as compared to wherever it is anyone else claims to be along these lines. Unlike you who apparently felt the need to make all that effort you describe. You had to be needing or wanting something to go through all that. I don't. Accordingly, I see no need for any effort to accomplish anything other than to remain grounded in reality. Quite contentedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality