Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 08:30 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You getting "reps" for attacking a Christian? Wow

Can't IMAGINE that there would be those around here that would rep a guy for chastising a Christian regardless of the validity of the post. Good grief. Maybe that's your issue. Maybe instead of posting to try to get cheap reps you should worry about things like truth.
You sure read that wrong...intentionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 09:46 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's not true.

As soon as someone is labeled a "fundy", it's a backhanded judgment on that person.

You just judge in a different direction.
Fundy is simply short or fundamentalist and it is merely an observation. You should not assume it's a backhanded judgment. I was a fundie myself for decades and I understand the mindset and what binds people to it. I know fundies who are good and kind people so I do not assume they are all ignorant hayseeds trying to peddle hatred in a semi-deniable way. That does not change of course that some of them ARE like that.

It is rational for me to give a greater assumption of good intensions, all things being equal, to a liberal Christian than to a fundamentalist. That does not mean either that I think liberal Christians can do no wrong or that fundamentalist Christians can do no right.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:51 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Maybe instead of posting to try to get cheap reps you should worry about things like truth.
He said he got reps, not that his motivation was to fish for them. Simply that he's not some lone voice crying in the wilderness -- other share his view. Which pertains to his ACTUAL POINT which is that you don't come off nearly as well as you think you do.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:50 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Fundy is simply short or fundamentalist and it is merely an observation. You should not assume it's a backhanded judgment. I was a fundie myself for decades and I understand the mindset and what binds people to it. I know fundies who are good and kind people so I do not assume they are all ignorant hayseeds trying to peddle hatred in a semi-deniable way. That does not change of course that some of them ARE like that.

It is rational for me to give a greater assumption of good intensions, all things being equal, to a liberal Christian than to a fundamentalist. That does not mean either that I think liberal Christians can do no wrong or that fundamentalist Christians can do no right.
The term is 95% used negatively - usually when someone is offended, or wanting to marginalize someone they don't prefer.

To be clear - I am not saying it is wrong to judge people - we all should have some level of discernment. I am just pointing out those who pretend like they don't judge anyone when they do.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 4,708 times
Hi! I'm a newbie here. I tell Robin only one thing.

If you perceived (or interpreted) it as judgemental, it'd be judgemental. But if you try to rethink spiritually what others said, it might show another world view.

I personally see this post quite unspiritual.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholay2019 View Post
Hi! I'm a newbie here. I tell Robin only one thing.

If you perceived (or interpreted) it as judgemental, it'd be judgemental. But if you try to rethink spiritually what others said, it might show another world view.

I personally see this post quite unspiritual.
but the rethinking things spiritually needs to be in both directions, but rarely is with christians.

Old 12-02-2022, 02:45 PM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The term is 95% used negatively - usually when someone is offended, or wanting to marginalize someone they don't prefer.

To be clear - I am not saying it is wrong to judge people - we all should have some level of discernment. I am just pointing out those who pretend like they don't judge anyone when they do.
There is another way to discern besides judging.

https://study.com/learn/lesson/judgi...%20to%20change.

That makes sense now. Some people think dichotomously and some think in nuance. The same people who use dichotomous thinking are likely to judge while the greys perceive.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 12-02-2022 at 04:05 PM..

Old 12-02-2022, 03:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He said he got reps, not that his motivation was to fish for them.
I doubt that very much.

And yes, I know that there are plenty of folks here that would agree with him.

Old 12-02-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I doubt that very much.

And yes, I know that there are plenty of folks here that would agree with him.
How convenient that you, once again, demonstrate your judgmentalism.

Old 12-02-2022, 05:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How convenient that you, once again, demonstrate your judgmentalism.
OK? And? As if you aren't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality