Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 05:55 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
They are just happy that the pandemic is over and no more mask mandates and/or lockdowns and they can go back to their normal lives.
Except for the small detail that it's objectively and demonstrably NOT over and they are ill-advised to go back to their "normal lives", whatever unsustainable thing that even was. But because there aren't bodies in the streets and some dude coming through the neighborhood with a cart calling out "bring out yer dead", it's not "real" to them. If it even would be then!

But then I subscribe to a couple of newsletters from virologists as my main source of info about that, and take the politically co-opted public health agency pronouncements with huge grains of salt. Because I get more comfort out of actionable knowledge than I do from wishful thinking and disinformation.

As I walk the dog with my N-95 on, probably every 50th person I pass is masked. We always nod knowingly at each other. Many of those are elderly and frail, but not all. One time a guy passed me on his bike, unmasked, coughing, chatting with someone on the phone that he was positive for covid but no symptoms so far.

I have come to the conclusion that we are all herd animals, desperate for social connection, terrified of not conforming, and most of us are willing to go to our grave that way. So it goes ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
The other day, a couple of people stated if a nuclear bomb was to hit the United States, they wanted it to hit dead square into their foreheads. They reasoned that they did not want to survive the fallout. We all had a laugh at those who are buying survival gear and building bunkers, we all reasoned they will be the first ones hunted down for their goodies.
Although that's actually not the way it would work.

The fallout is actually pretty short-term and confined to an area for the most part, though you might want to stay out of the rain for a couple of months outside those areas and be careful what you drink. If you live more than 200 miles from a likely target (and those have changed alot in recent decades -- it's basically very large cities plus military installations), you have different problems. Even inside blast zones, the simple expedient of staying indoors for a few days greatly minimizes radiation exposure, particularly with high-level detonations that minimize debris sucked into the air.

The real problem for most people is nuclear winter and the likely collapse of the supply chain and the utilities due to EMP effects. Most people will freeze or starve in their homes the first winter up north here, likely.

Because my family has made some provision for more likely and survivable problems like spot shortages, we'd probably survive that first winter, but not much more than that. And I'm not sure that's an actual problem, lol.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Hmmm, definitely food for thought ^ . . .

My personal thoughts are that 'something' IS going on in the world unlike any other time in earth's history (maybe the Bible DOES have it right regarding last day events) and I'm wondering how long before the other shoe drops.
That "something" is steady rolling extrinsic shocks to our various systems that are quite potentially sufficient to destroy the fragile patina of technology that separates us from a 17th century standard of living. The reasons for those shocks are pretty well-understood and don't require magical or supernatural explanations. Most importantly, the solutions aren't supernatural, though honestly I wish they were, assuming prayer actually was known to help. Because I don't trust humans to do what needs doing about any of it.

The other thought I have is that that other shoe dropping that you speak of may not be a discrete event. If we reach enough multiple tipping points of the right (wrong?) kinds it might play out that way but most of the threats facing humanity are slow-burn kinds of things that are playing out over decades, not days. And our brains are lousy at recognizing and dealing effectively with slow-motion disasters. Or to express it as a colorful metaphor: we're terrible at seeing past the ends of our ... well, you know.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:00 AM

11,099 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
My personal thoughts are that 'something' IS going on in the world unlike any other time in earth's history
Yes, and it's technology unlike we've had before. Entire generations raised on cell phones, the Internet, instant nonsense "news", and all the robotic programming that goes with it. The electronic connection and means are now firmly in place, and those running the show have control of too many people's attention.

We are losing touch with our already distant connection with the Earth and land (although I know that sounds a bit silly), and simple contact with each other, as we communicate by text and so forth rather than in person. All the nuances of communication directly - including body language - are lost.

Technology and the media push the desire for the digital approach of one extreme against another. In the past, the middle was emphasized, and the extremes rejected as odd and unbalanced. It's the opposite now. Drama and hate sell, division is pushed. People are more than ever unable to see the greys, as well as see who's pushing the buttons and doing the programming.

Gurdjieff talked about all of this a century ago. When you have a deep understanding of humanity, humanity's traits and tendencies, and the universe, you can step back and see the big picture easily and what's going on all around us. The Bible isn't needed for that. We have insight and ability within ourselves to tap into, but it takes work and effort.

Don't get pulled down by others. It still all boils down to personal choice, and going against the flow of the puppets on the wide path of the masses. Opt out of the nonsense, and think for yourself. Do your own research. Every day can be freedom, liberation, and even 'heaven'.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-23-2022 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-23-2022, 10:44 AM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default Is 2022 a cursed year?

Bottom line: God did not, never has, and never will curse us for ANY REASON! God loves us! Whatever you have been told, taught, or indoctrinated about God try to get that central message of Jesus! We are sufficiently our own curse as a selfish and self-centered species. Generating the collective will, motivation, and consensus necessary to remove the curse our existence becomes is a Herculean (and probably unachievable) goal.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We are sufficiently our own curse as a selfish and self-centered species. Generating the collective will, motivation, and consensus necessary to remove the curse our existence becomes is a Herculean (and probably unachievable) goal.
^^^ Yup.

Now that we've determined we've cursed ourselves and its not going to magically go away by tearing December 2022 off the calendar, and with the knowledge that personally actionable things to make it better are not enough to turn the tide by themselves ... the question becomes, how does one keep one's spirits up, and what does one hope in?

Speaking only for myself, I feel I must content myself with those personally actionable things and not obsess on what is NOT actionable for me. What else can one do? Humanity will thrive, or not, survive, or not. My family is significantly more self-sufficient / resilient than it was a year ago, and that will have to suffice.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:25 PM

412 posts, read 137,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Although that's actually not the way it would work.

The fallout is actually pretty short-term and confined to an area for the most part, though you might want to stay out of the rain for a couple of months outside those areas and be careful what you drink. If you live more than 200 miles from a likely target (and those have changed alot in recent decades -- it's basically very large cities plus military installations), you have different problems. Even inside blast zones, the simple expedient of staying indoors for a few days greatly minimizes radiation exposure, particularly with high-level detonations that minimize debris sucked into the air.

The real problem for most people is nuclear winter and the likely collapse of the supply chain and the utilities due to EMP effects. Most people will freeze or starve in their homes the first winter up north here, likely.

Because my family has made some provision for more likely and survivable problems like spot shortages, we'd probably survive that first winter, but not much more than that. And I'm not sure that's an actual problem, lol.
Did you say your expertise was in technical writing? With that professional expertise, it is probably sort of tough not to come across as a know-it-all. Technically speaking, x's infinity.

Old 11-23-2022, 03:09 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Hmmm, definitely food for thought ^ . . .

My personal thoughts are that 'something' IS going on in the world unlike any other time in earth's history (maybe the Bible DOES have it right regarding last day events) and I'm wondering how long before the other shoe drops.
I agree. I have felt "something is off" myself.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Did you say your expertise was in technical writing? With that professional expertise, it is probably sort of tough not to come across as a know-it-all. Technically speaking, x's infinity.
I'm not a know it all, and have never claimed I was, but I have studied the topic and had something to share concerning it. That doesn't make you wrong, or me right. It is just information. If you don't like it, just pass on by.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:29 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
I don't know if this fits the thread topic at all, but the Covid-19 pandemic has been raised as well as herd mentality, people desperate for social connection, etc.

The SDA Church has held the belief that in the last days people will conform without question to certain government mandates ...notably, in the case of SDA belief, the reinstalling by the government of the one-time Sunday laws, now all but ignored, that prohibit trade, commercial and entertainment activities, etc. and the reinstalling of Sunday to be recognized nationally as a designated 'holy day' following previous and extensive Christian lobbying. Many of these Sunday 'blue laws', all but forgotten, still remain on the books in the U.S.

Now, I've always been skeptical of this SDA belief and have shared this skepticism with other SDA folks. I'm still skeptical pertaining to THAT particular scenario. I mean, SURELY the government could not possibly shut down an entire nation for some Christian 'religious day'! * Not everyone is religious. Not everyone is Christian. People would most certainly object to this.

HOWEVER, in the past two years it has CERTAINLY hit home as to HOW EASY it has been for the government to mandate national lockdowns, mask-wearing, social distancing, mandatory vaccine shots otherwise job loss, with nary a whimper from the general public. Herd mentality, marionettes of the government at work here and all created by effective fear mongering. Justified? Maybe. Maybe not. The answer to this question is not readily available.

Pretty much EVERYONE (here in my neck of the woods, Townsville) conformed to these mandates. All it took was an authority figure to yell "frog" via the social media to cause everyone to jump. If mask-wearing for all social indoor activity was mandated via the media at 4pm today ...then by golly, that's when the masks went on en masse. I was rather amazed by the lack of any kind of back-bone from 99% of the general public. "Ah, but this was done for the good of all," people will say. Yep. 'Being for the good of all' will always open the way for the government to control the fearful herd which happens to be 99% of the general public.

* Here in Australia Good Friday - a Christian 'holy day' - the nation pretty much closes down. Anyone not conforming will be subjected to a fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality