Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 11:29 AM

412 posts, read 137,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The reason I said that most are not particularly religious is because, maybe only about 10% of the population attends any type of religious service on a regular basis. Surveys have shown that only about 10% of children have any regular exposure to religious worship services.
I think that's about right, and abolishing blue laws helped speed things along.

Blue law Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blue law
WebOct 28, 2019 · blue law noun : a statute regulating work, commerce, and amusements on Sunday Note: Existing blue laws derive from the numerous extremely rigorous laws …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 02:04 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No one here can tell you what most people think based on their experience. I know people with the wide range of beliefs, from the heaven/hell proponents to Christians who believe in a Purgatory and those who do not believe in a hell at all, to people who believe when you're dead that is the end, to others who believe in reincarnation. And others still who believe our souls return to a collective consciousness.

The one thing we all have in common is that none of us really know.
Couldn't have said it better, MQ.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:39 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
No one here can tell you what most people think based on their experience. I know people with the wide range of beliefs, from the heaven/hell proponents to Christians who believe in a Purgatory and those who do not believe in a hell at all, to people who believe when you're dead that is the end, to others who believe in reincarnation. And others still who believe our souls return to a collective consciousness.

The one thing we all have in common is that none of us really know.
Ugh! Not the Borg!

Old 11-19-2022, 03:05 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Ugh! Not the Borg!
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

The episode titled, "I, Borg", wherein a Borg they find injured and take back to the Enterprise and who eventually begins to understand individuality, is one of my favorites.

I recently rewatched the entire Next Gen series. Only ever saw bits and pieces back in the 90s. There was a lot of truth about human nature in that show, even when it was demonstrated by non-humans.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:10 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

The episode titled, "I, Borg", wherein a Borg they find injured and take back to the Enterprise and who eventually begins to understand individuality, is one of my favorites.

I recently rewatched the entire Next Gen series. Only ever saw bits and pieces back in the 90s. There was a lot of truth about human nature in that show, even when it was demonstrated by non-humans.
I'd like to get the video collection for Next Generation. Next time Walmart gets it in (I don't buy anything online). Yes, I, Borg was a very good episode.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:30 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I never ask what other people think about that, and don't want to know. I only need to concentrate on what my theories are.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:51 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
I believe your body becomes compost and your atoms are recycled.
Spiritually?
The truth is nobody knows and what we think we know is all guesswork. In all likelihood the idea of us 'living on' after death is probably wishful thinking. We don't like the idea of dying and that's it.
I also don't like the idea of dying and thats it, so the wishful thinking part of me hopes that there is an impression of us left behind in some way.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:43 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I believe your body becomes compost and your atoms are recycled.
Spiritually?
The truth is nobody knows and what we think we know is all guesswork. In all likelihood the idea of us 'living on' after death is probably wishful thinking. We don't like the idea of dying and that's it.
I also don't like the idea of dying and thats it, so the wishful thinking part of me hopes that there is an impression of us left behind in some way.
I agree with this for the most part, EXCEPT for the woo I've experienced myself or been told of by others whose honesty I trust that might indicate the contrary.

I can't say I have the definitive answer, though.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:01 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
I've observed that many " religious" see their belief system as some kind of " get out of jail " membership.

My fear of hell, eternal punishment or even eternal ecstasy, has never been a reason for my own beliefs.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:52 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
I agree with this for the most part, EXCEPT for the woo I've experienced myself or been told of by others whose honesty I trust that might indicate the contrary.

I can't say I have the definitive answer, though.

I have also experienced a great deal of the woo you talk about, as have friends and relatives also have experience same. Even with the most die hard skeptics amongst us.

So I agree. I'm sort of on the fence with it.

I can't say if the woo I experienced is just coincidence or not. I mean it seems to have happened too many times for it to be coincidence or for it not to mean something.

The problem is, there's nothing absolutely concrete. So I guess I remain open minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality