U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 11:41 AM

26,321 posts, read 7,432,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Any of those got pictures? I don't read books that don't contain pictures.
Somewhere else in this forum the discussion was about reading from electronic devices vs books. Kindles for example, and one problem I noted about reading from electronic devices is that they are not as good for seeing pictures. When I read a book about famous painters, for example, I like to see the pictures of their paintings. Among the books I'm working through right now is about Rembrandt for example. I always make sure I get books about artists that includes good pictures of their work. I like the books about musicians that also included pictures of the musicians; at their concerts, with other famous people, album covers, where they're from, etc...

I really enjoy my coloring books too. I've got almost all of the crayon colors!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 11:48 AM

26,321 posts, read 7,432,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i have been thinking about what was said in the post (below) and there is nothing that a person thinks, feels, observes, or perceives that is NOT colored by their own thoughts, feelings, emotions.

all of perception falls into that category.
including all of LM's thoughts, beliefs, views, and opinions.
or anyone else's.

ALL of perception is distorted in that way.

so no, there aren't "two very different things" at all. that is a false premise. because it is all perception, and it is all distorted and colored and skewed by the person who is doing the perceiving, observing, and interpreting. the "pairs" presented in post above are all false dichotomies, each and every one of them: "fiction/non-fiction" "truth/otherwise" "fact/not."
How many times have I commented, "perception is everything?" Of course. Seems you are picking away at the obvious here but missing what is more important in terms of understanding the distinction(s) between what is sometimes called "critical thinking" and what is quite obviously not. Objectivity vs the problem of confirmation bias that clearly clouds good judgement and rational conclusion.

Can't do any of the above without a brain, and of course to do any of the above requires a brain. Not a one of ours exactly the same as someone else's brain. No two perspectives exactly alike. Again of course, but there are different ways of thinking, observation, analysis, evaluation and conclusion that are quite different as well.

How you, me or anyone else might distinguish and appreciate those differences is also going to differ, and needles to say your thinking and perspective about all this sort of thing is considerably different from mine. No great surprise there!

Old 11-25-2022, 12:44 PM

20,075 posts, read 17,358,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
How many times have I commented, "perception is everything?" Of course. Seems you are picking away at the obvious here but missing what is more important in terms of understanding the distinction(s) between what is sometimes called "critical thinking" and what is quite obviously not. Objectivity vs the problem of confirmation bias that clearly clouds good judgement and rational conclusion.

Can't do any of the above without a brain, and of course to do any of the above requires a brain. Not a one of ours exactly the same as someone else's brain. No two perspectives exactly alike. Again of course, but there are different ways of thinking, observation, analysis, evaluation and conclusion that are quite different as well.

How you, me or anyone else might distinguish and appreciate those differences is also going to differ, and needles to say your thinking and perspective about all this sort of thing is considerably different from mine. No great surprise there!
aptitude and ability in critical thinking includes being able to recognize when a false dichotomy is presented, when a false premise is used.

i actually compliment your earlier post on the point it made. and then pointed out the post itself is an example of how your own thoughts, views, and opinions are colored and skewed by your own feelings, emotions, and interpretations. perceived through the filter of using your own verbiage here "emotions and what suits your wants and needs." All opinions and views and thoughts and perceptions are colored (skewed, distorted, affected) by what post above calls confirmation bias. The view i put forth is that ALL perception is distorted.

and it's also nice that you introduced the topic of books to the thread, so that people can share books they are reading related to Religion and Spirituality.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-25-2022 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-25-2022, 01:10 PM

45,044 posts, read 19,733,764 times
Quote:
Somewhere else in this forum the discussion was about reading from electronic devices vs books. Kindles for example, and one problem I noted about reading from electronic devices is that they are not as good for seeing pictures. When I read a book about famous painters, for example, I like to see the pictures of their paintings. Among the books I'm working through right now is about Rembrandt for example. I always make sure I get books about artists that includes good pictures of their work. I like the books about musicians that also included pictures of the musicians; at their concerts, with other famous people, album covers, where they're from, etc...

I really enjoy my coloring books too. I've got almost all of the crayon colors!
For a while I went to mostly Kindle, but now am getting almost entirely back to hardcover. Kindle is still nice for out of print.

Old 11-25-2022, 01:55 PM

8,824 posts, read 11,953,346 times
Quote:
and it's also nice that you introduced the topic of books to the thread, so that people can share books they are reading related to Religion and Spirituality.
I just finished My Name is Asher Lev, which I found enjoyable. One of my great-great-uncles was a quasi- (and I mean quasi-) famous artist who came of age in the generation prior to the Potok protagonist, which influenced some of my appreciation. Granted, my family was not Hasidic, or anything close to it, and while my great-great-uncle was highly successful in that he was able to make a decent living between his artistic creations and related academic pursuits, he was never a world-renowned prodigy.

Although it’s not a Philadelphia story (and I don’t know if he wrote any Philadelphia-centric literature), I do appreciate that Chaim Potok spent many of his Philadelphia years in a suburban neighborhood immediately bordering my own.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:17 PM

45,044 posts, read 19,733,764 times
Quote:

We have posters here who always pick toward an individual, and almost always toward an individual who is an atheist.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:00 PM

20,075 posts, read 17,358,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I just finished My Name is Asher Lev, which I found enjoyable. One of my great-great-uncles was a quasi- (and I mean quasi-) famous artist who came of age in the generation prior to the Potok protagonist, which influenced some of my appreciation. Granted, my family was not Hasidic, or anything close to it, and while my great-great-uncle was highly successful in that he was able to make a decent living between his artistic creations and related academic pursuits, he was never a world-renowned prodigy.

Although it’s not a Philadelphia story (and I don’t know if he wrote any Philadelphia-centric literature), I do appreciate that Chaim Potok spent many of his Philadelphia years in a suburban neighborhood immediately bordering my own.
love reading this post!

Old 11-25-2022, 04:23 PM

1,269 posts, read 324,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
All the divrei Torahs I have written have come from the Author of scripture, dreams and life experiences.

People are free to discount that if they want. I don't force it on anyone.

I spent half my life with no guidance or bad guidance for the most part. And then all that changed.

I am not one to look down upon others for how they live their lives and what they believe. I just know "there comes a time" as that is my lived experience. And I know the great patience that has been afforded to me in my growth.

I went golfing yesterday, and when I go golfing now, I know it could be my last time. I golfed with an awesome old friend I have known since middle school, who knows the worst things about me. And an 84 year old man who spent 20 years in the penitentiary, who still hits the ball a mile and straight. And someone I just met that day. I don't know that any of them believe in God. We all had a great time in great company, and all contributing very entertaining moments.
I just wanted to say something about the bolded paragraph. I did try to share things with people around me early on. And I still do in small ways when it is fitting. I just feel that walking in what I said in the bolded paragraph gave me a more gracious outlook and that hopefully I could share a word at the proper time.

These days there seems to be a movement to make everything unrecognizable.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:02 PM

8,824 posts, read 11,953,346 times
Quote:
love reading this post!
Thank you. I found out, just by happenstance, that our current home is in the same neighborhood as his last Philadelphia area homestead, a secondary Jewish suburb where he lived with his wife and son in the ‘50s and ‘60s before decamping for the West Coast.

Bringing this full circle back to religion, I happened to learn this because my great-uncle was over for my son’s bris and made an off-hand remark about it.

By the way, LearnMe: I just picked up Donald Fagen’s Eminent Hipsters from my library today. It looks more like a series of personal essays than straight memoir (which seems more suited to Fagen’s style, if only judging by his songwriting). I’ll let you know how I like it.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:03 AM

1,269 posts, read 324,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I just wanted to say something about the bolded paragraph. I did try to share things with people around me early on. And I still do in small ways when it is fitting. I just feel that walking in what I said in the bolded paragraph gave me a more gracious outlook and that hopefully I could share a word at the proper time.

These days there seems to be a movement to make everything unrecognizable.
As I pondered what I wrote in that post and sought God this morning. I was reminded about Joseph and him sharing his dreams with his family and then his brothers threw him in a pit, sold him as a slave and brought the coat his father had given him back to him torn and with the blood of an animal on it and said he was dead. Trying to make him and his dreams unrecognizable and making him the fool.

Then when he provided and shared food at no cost with his brothers , he was still unrecognizable to them. Then came the time of unveiling, that the dreams he shared came from God and they were the benefactors.

The Prophet Isaiah speaks of the suffering servant who is made unrecognizable. My Rabbi's name has been spoken as a curse more times than any other name on earth. Even when someone merely stubs their toe. While the preacherman does the bait and switch.

Last edited by chief scum; 11-26-2022 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality