Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2022, 10:17 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Great idea to list what we are currently reading.
I happened to be in the public library in Alabama and they had a lovey used bookstore. I found this book, Studying Religion by Russel McCutcheon who is the Chair of the dept of Religious Studies at UA. It is a wonderful small book on how to approach studying Religion. It has a glossary of terms used in Religious Studies. A section on the scholars whose views are discussed in the book, and a summary of their particular approach to studying religion and their arguments. I learnt so much from this book, a variety of perspectives on what religion is, and is not.
I plan to move on to a more advanced book, Critical Terms for Religious Studies by Mark C. Taylor.
I have also been studying a book with commentary by Swami Dayananda Saraswati, who passed way 2 years ago. This is a book on the 108 selected verses from a larger work called Vivekachudamani consisting of 581 verses. The work is attributed to Sankara who lived between 700 and 800 CE. The work deals with moksha or liberation, freedom from fear and uncertainty.
I also got interested in Chris Hedges after listening to his podcasts on his opinion on the war in Ukraine and also Biden. He has interviewed Roger Waters of Pink Floyd. I am reading an old book of his, I Don’t Believe in Atheists, which i dont plan on discussing in these forums. But he is worth listening to for his current political views which also i dont plan on discussing in CD.
Good for you and yes, here's to books! Reading, learning...

I have over the course of my 65 years been known to include a book about religion in my stack that I bring back from the library when it's time for a new stack. I have read many over the years as a result. Always an interesting topic, and it seems these books you list would also be interesting to read as well. Thanks.

If not books directly about religion, many a history book touches upon so much in the way that religions have influenced the history of the world. In many ways both good and bad and/or somewhere in between. The book I'm now reading about the French revolution is one such example. I can't remember if I provided my current list already or not, and I'm feeling a little too lazy at the moment to search back in this thread to confirm, so I'll just provide my list here with apologies if this is a repeat...

A New World Begins, The History of the French Revolution, by Jeremy Popkin

1776 by David McCullough

Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Issacson

Rembrandt by Ernst Van De Watering

According to the Rolling Stones by the members of the band
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 04:21 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Good for you and yes, here's to books! Reading, learning...

I have over the course of my 65 years been known to include a book about religion in my stack that I bring back from the library when it's time for a new stack. I have read many over the years as a result. Always an interesting topic, and it seems these books you list would also be interesting to read as well. Thanks.

If not books directly about religion, many a history book touches upon so much in the way that religions have influenced the history of the world. In many ways both good and bad and/or somewhere in between. The book I'm now reading about the French revolution is one such example. I can't remember if I provided my current list already or not, and I'm feeling a little too lazy at the moment to search back in this thread to confirm, so I'll just provide my list here with apologies if this is a repeat...

A New World Begins, The History of the French Revolution, by Jeremy Popkin

1776 by David McCullough

Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Issacson

Rembrandt by Ernst Van De Watering

According to the Rolling Stones by the members of the band
Pretty eclectic collection!
I tend to read biographies more than history. The last one I read was Ron Chernow’s Alexander Hamilton, the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to create the awesome show.
I have also read Jon Meacham’s bio on Thomas Jefferson and so loved the way Miranda treats the character in the musical. I read the book when we were making up a road trip and planned to vist Monticello. Never again.
But history i prefer to watch as a documentary such as Ken Burn’s. It would never occur to me, however, to study religion as history making or part of history, but I suppose it is a valid way as any other. It is always about the character of the characters, no?
Musicians too, I prefer to watch and listen. Recently I saw Sinead O’Connor’s story Nothing Compares. What a voice and talent. So sad how she was punished by the media and the industry because she called out the Pope on child abuse. And how repressed Ireland was, I did not realize. Talk about religion, Islam is no match! She was a woman far ahead of her times.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:24 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Hoping for an Argentina win in the soccer World Cup tomorrow.
Otherwise let’s hope it’s a good game.
Both are very good predominantly Catholic countries.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Oh!

And finally! Go Argentina on Sunday!

Messi. Goooooaaaaalllll!
Well said !

Old 12-17-2022, 05:53 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
My money’s on Argentina

Old 12-17-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
My money’s on Argentina
I don’t bet money on sports, but they are now slight favorites on the betting markets!

Old 12-18-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Pretty eclectic collection!
I tend to read biographies more than history. The last one I read was Ron Chernow’s Alexander Hamilton, the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to create the awesome show.
I have also read Jon Meacham’s bio on Thomas Jefferson and so loved the way Miranda treats the character in the musical. I read the book when we were making up a road trip and planned to vist Monticello. Never again.
But history i prefer to watch as a documentary such as Ken Burn’s. It would never occur to me, however, to study religion as history making or part of history, but I suppose it is a valid way as any other. It is always about the character of the characters, no?
Musicians too, I prefer to watch and listen. Recently I saw Sinead O’Connor’s story Nothing Compares. What a voice and talent. So sad how she was punished by the media and the industry because she called out the Pope on child abuse. And how repressed Ireland was, I did not realize. Talk about religion, Islam is no match! She was a woman far ahead of her times.
I read a lot of biographies too, but when it comes to history beyond that of a single person, the history books better serve. Funny you mention watching documentaries instead, because I've been telling my wife about what I have been reading about the French Revolution, and it occurred to me just yesterday to watch a documentary about the French Revolution on TV (YouTube) to compliment what I was reading. Turned out to be a very good documentary. In just 1-1/2 hours I got a pretty nice summary of what it's been taking me weeks to read in this very detailed history book I've been working through. Hmmm...

I got my wife interested in watching the documentary too. We both agreed it's quite the incredible story. We've watched most of Ken Burn's documentaries too.

Sinead O'Connor's story is a sad one indeed. She was a brave and beautiful singer, but she lost a bit of her fan base as she got a little too "preachy" for them. That often happens when singers get heavy into politics. Now more recently with the suicide of her son, however, much of her fan base is nothing but supportive.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Hoping for an Argentina win in the soccer World Cup tomorrow.
Otherwise let’s hope it’s a good game.
Both are very good predominantly Catholic countries.
I'm about to sign off from this forum now and begin watching my recording of the match that started not too long ago. Yes, predominantly Catholic and white...

"Why are there so few black players on Argentina's team? Because Argentina is not a Disney movie."

Here's to a good match and good Sunday for all! May it include a win for Argentina!

Old 12-18-2022, 11:09 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
My money’s on Argentina
Holy Moly — that was exciting!!
I was bored in second half until France got the penalty kick goal and then WOW they finally woke up and came alive and were amazing down to the last Penalty shootout kick….

Even my husband (not a big soccer fan) came in to watch it with me ….

Old 12-18-2022, 06:22 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
I read a lot of biographies too, but when it comes to history beyond that of a single person, the history books better serve. Funny you mention watching documentaries instead, because I've been telling my wife about what I have been reading about the French Revolution, and it occurred to me just yesterday to watch a documentary about the French Revolution on TV (YouTube) to compliment what I was reading. Turned out to be a very good documentary. In just 1-1/2 hours I got a pretty nice summary of what it's been taking me weeks to read in this very detailed history book I've been working through. Hmmm...

I got my wife interested in watching the documentary too. We both agreed it's quite the incredible story. We've watched most of Ken Burn's documentaries too.

Sinead O'Connor's story is a sad one indeed. She was a brave and beautiful singer, but she lost a bit of her fan base as she got a little too "preachy" for them. That often happens when singers get heavy into politics. Now more recently with the suicide of her son, however, much of her fan base is nothing but supportive.
I would not describe Sinead O’Connor preachy. She spoke out against what she saw as abuse. She was abused as well. Any speech is political. Songs, poetry, literature, art are all speech and they all are political.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality