Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2023, 08:26 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Integrity is not lost. To think it is depends on how what is integrity is defined. Is strict adherence to a moral code (one dictionary definition) integrity? So a starving man stealing some stale bread the same as Big Pharma making huge profits for drugs that people need to live? Moral codes do not define integrity. Integrity is within, illuminated by Divine grace.
Another good post, Cb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 08:50 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Another good post, Cb.
Thank you, Elyn. Your posts elicit thoughtful response, for which i think you!

Old 04-09-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Elyn. Your posts elicit thoughtful response, for which i think you!
Couldn't do it without you! Oh, and love your other post about MAS.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:26 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Integrity is not lost. To think it is depends on how what is integrity is defined. Is strict adherence to a moral code (one dictionary definition) integrity? So a starving man stealing some stale bread the same as Big Pharma making huge profits for drugs that people need to live? Moral codes do not define integrity. Integrity is within, illuminated by Divine grace.
Well, if you were talking about christianity, the commandment simply says that 'thou shalt not steal'. It doesn't add, unless there's a good reason to.

In Buddhism the Precept is "abstain from taking what is not given".

Does asteya allow stealing if you think you have a good excuse for it?

Given the rest of your paragraph, saying "Integrity is within, illuminated by Divine grace" seems to be an excuse to do what you think you should be able to do whether your religion demands adherence to a moral code or not.

I would say not adhering to the religion you preach would indicate a lack of integrity.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:33 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, if you were talking about christianity, the commandment simply says that 'thou shalt not steal'. It doesn't add, unless there's a good reason to.

In Buddhism the Precept is "abstain from taking what is not given".

Does asteya allow stealing if you think you have a good excuse for it?

Given the rest of your paragraph, saying "Integrity is within, illuminated by Divine grace" seems to be an excuse to do what you think you should be able to do whether your religion demands adherence to a moral code or not.

I would say not adhering to the religion you preach would indicate a lack of integrity.
I would say you have improper/inadequate understanding of Buddhism, integrity and the lack of it, and Divine grace.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:43 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...s-meaning.html

The thread titled "Questions about life, values, meaning" got me thinking about sacredness because of a comment about integrity and how it's been lost. Perhaps its foundation was a shaky one, where performance was more important than substance.

I have heard it said, "Is there anything left that is sacred?" Keep Sunday for the Lord, keep peace on Christmas and Easter, keep Christ in Christmas, and keep marriage between a man and a woman. But what about all the other days and the other ways when people act less than whole? Keeping those few things sacred is just performative.
Interesting, though not something I often think about really, and I'm not sure what brings these questions up in your mind. Other than the comments that get posted by some in this forum. Reading lots of comments in this forum can make one wonder about "sacredness" and "integrity," but as a rule for me anyway, it's about people...

I generally feel a sense of sacredness and integrity when it comes to my relationships with family, friends and way of life. People can either inspire or disappoint along these lines and needless to say, whichever we tend to associate or relate to (in this forum or outside) can influence our sense of the world around us.

Where you really confuse me more than just a bit is how you juxtapose what's left of sacred with ways "people act less than whole." Are we less than whole if we don't keep Sunday for the Lord? Or if two men or two women want marriage to be other than just for heterosexuals?

The "live and let live" principle is among the sacred ones for me...

Oh! And happy Easter Sunday everyone! Soon to sign off and begin preparation of our BESB...

Old 04-09-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Interesting, though not something I often think about really, and I'm not sure what brings these questions up in your mind. Other than the comments that get posted by some in this forum. Reading lots of comments in this forum can make one wonder about "sacredness" and "integrity," but as a rule for me anyway, it's about people...

I generally feel a sense of sacredness and integrity when it comes to my relationships with family, friends and way of life. People can either inspire or disappoint along these lines and needless to say, whichever we tend to associate or relate to (in this forum or outside) can influence our sense of the world around us.

Where you really confuse me more than just a bit is how you juxtapose what's left of sacred with ways "people act less than whole." Are we less than whole if we don't keep Sunday for the Lord? Or if two men or two women want marriage to be other than just for heterosexuals?

The "live and let live" principle is among the sacred ones for me...

Oh! And happy Easter Sunday everyone! Soon to sign off and begin preparation of our BESB...
I didn't say I often think about these things, just that I was inspired to, Learme. Of course, my answer to your questions is no. CB2008 said it better which is that integrity was never lost, probably needs to be better defined between two individuals.

Happy Easter to you. Oh, and that is a pretty hilarious comment about the charming couple. I don't think I've ever been referred to as charming. Looks like all my hard work is finally paying off.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:04 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
It annoys me somewhat that certain branches of Christianity only classify "Christians", as those that have been Born Again.
Next month there is the Coronation of King Charles, one group is sending a lot of Evangelicals there with Bible tracts, as they regard King Charles as not born again, and hence "unsaved":

https://livingwatersdownunder.com/an...m-ray-comfort/

I am not sure how handing out bible tracts at a coronation ceremony is going to win more souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYlRqseBA0k

Old 04-13-2023, 06:07 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
FWIW I am a Republican and not a Monarchist, and will not be watching this Coronation Ceremony of King Charles in London next month.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:40 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
FWIW I am a Republican and not a Monarchist, and will not be watching this Coronation Ceremony of King Charles in London next month.
I'm a liberal and not a monarchist either, except as one who can appreciate the "pomp and circumstance" it all provides in the way of public spectacle, tourism and all the rest. I was recently in London, and boy how the locals love following Royalty! Prince Harry's memoir was headline news everywhere and what they love to talk about. It's all entertainment really. For the Brits it's like how a lot of Americans watch their favorite sport.

A significant part of UK history as well, and for the rest of the world for that matter, so there's that too, but I hear you. Much like what the evangelists do, nothing I really take too seriously, and I know we are not alone when it comes to this sentiment generally speaking.

"Different strokes for different folks" as some like to say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality