Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 10:58 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
FWIW I am a Republican and not a Monarchist, and will not be watching this Coronation Ceremony of King Charles in London next month.
I won’t be watching either. I’m not a conscientious objector. I’m just not captivated by the Royal Family mystique (although I intend no disrespect to those who feel otherwise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 11:18 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I won’t be watching either. I’m not a conscientious objector. I’m just not captivated by the Royal Family mystique (although I intend no disrespect to those who feel otherwise).
Same with me. I don’t get the fascination with all the pomp and circus about the royalty. I see how it is a tourist attraction for the UK but why are Americans so enthralled. I don’t get the TV hoopla over the Pope visits and ceremonies either. Unless you are catholic.
However I did like the Crown series, nicely produced, and great acting. And also the Two Popes.

Old 04-14-2023, 04:11 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Same with me. I don’t get the fascination with all the pomp and circus about the royalty. I see how it is a tourist attraction for the UK but why are Americans so enthralled. I don’t get the TV hoopla over the Pope visits and ceremonies either. Unless you are catholic.
However I did like the Crown series, nicely produced, and great acting. And also the Two Popes.
I don’t mind the Pope coming to town, but am not interested in the Royals!
In fact my daughter went to World Youth Day in Krakow, Poland - a few years ago now.
This is a big Catholic event held every 2-3 years.
Seeing the Pope obviously was one of the highlights.
Many Protestants like to say that Catholics worship the Pope, and that he is seen as a God figure , but that is complete garbage.

Old 04-14-2023, 04:39 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
I mean, I understand why the Royal family fascinates some people the same way I understand why some are entertained by people who are “famous for being famous” (which is really what the Royal family is these days). It’s just not for me personally.

While I’m also not fascinated by the Pope, I can also understand why some people (including non-Catholics) are intrigued by him. He holds a lot of power and influence (for better or worse) and is remains far more culturally and geopolitically relevant than the Royal family has been for generations. I did get the hell out of dodge when the Pope visited my city some years back—not out of some misguided act of protest, but because I wasn’t interested in being stuck in Papacy-induced gridlock. Some people in the on-topic forums thought that was tantamount to bailing on houseguests after inviting them over, and that’s funny because I never asked the Pope to visit. Some people are also stupid. I don’t begrudge the Pope for visiting, and I’m sure His Holiness doesn’t begrudge me for escaping to the Beach for the long weekend.

But hey, we agree on 1.5 things today! I’ll take common ground when I can get it.

Quote:
I haven’t seen either, but I’m sure they were both nicely done. When there’s a good story to be told, you can enjoy fictionalized portrayals without being enthralled by their real-life inspirations.

Old 04-14-2023, 07:57 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I am not Catholic, but I took this pic of Francis at the WTC memorial from my office window in 2015. He came to New York, did a blessing and left flowers or whatever he is doing at the south pool in the picture. Then he went down into the below-grade memorial museum where he spoke. It was televised, and we had NY1 (a city channel) in our conference room. He had on the platform with him representatives of all the major religions. Most of eventually went back to our offices, but two women, one Hindu, one Muslim, sat and listened to the whole thing, enthralled.

The Muslim woman said, "I love him, he's a rock star. He brings people together. Look at everyone up there, we all have our hat, we all have our different ways to worship, but we can all come together."

That is the message for a place where people of all faiths worked together and died together.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:20 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not Catholic, but I took this pic of Francis at the WTC memorial from my office window in 2015. He came to New York, did a blessing and left flowers or whatever he is doing at the south pool in the picture. Then he went down into the below-grade memorial museum where he spoke. It was televised, and we had NY1 (a city channel) in our conference room. He had on the platform with him representatives of all the major religions. Most of eventually went back to our offices, but two women, one Hindu, one Muslim, sat and listened to the whole thing, enthralled.

The Muslim woman said, "I love him, he's a rock star. He brings people together. Look at everyone up there, we all have our hat, we all have our different ways to worship, but we can all come together."

That is the message for a place where people of all faiths worked together and died together.
Nice, MQ.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:59 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I mean, I understand why the Royal family fascinates some people the same way I understand why some are entertained by people who are “famous for being famous” (which is really what the Royal family is these days). It’s just not for me personally.

While I’m also not fascinated by the Pope, I can also understand why some people (including non-Catholics) are intrigued by him. He holds a lot of power and influence (for better or worse) and is remains far more culturally and geopolitically relevant than the Royal family has been for generations. I did get the hell out of dodge when the Pope visited my city some years back—not out of some misguided act of protest, but because I wasn’t interested in being stuck in Papacy-induced gridlock. Some people in the on-topic forums thought that was tantamount to bailing on houseguests after inviting them over, and that’s funny because I never asked the Pope to visit. Some people are also stupid. I don’t begrudge the Pope for visiting, and I’m sure His Holiness doesn’t begrudge me for escaping to the Beach for the long weekend.

But hey, we agree on 1.5 things today! I’ll take common ground when I can get it.

I haven’t seen either, but I’m sure they were both nicely done. When there’s a good story to be told, you can enjoy fictionalized portrayals without being enthralled by their real-life inspirations.
Are we not all somewhat the same (guilty) of being drawn to whatever is part of our tribe's heritage, culture, history and even propaganda?

I think what interests me across the board, at least to some extent or another, is the influence famous people have had in history and/or on our culture today. I'm not from Thailand or a part of that culture in any negligible way, but I still remember being in Thailand during the time all of Thailand was in mourning after losing their king. An amazingly interesting if not fascinating experience I'll never forget.

I'm not sure I can put the Royals in the same category, but when it comes to most if not all these world figures, there's usually something there there. Albeit more or less interesting to one person vs another depending largely on who they are, where they are, their perspective about what makes the world turn, and how they see their place in it...

Old 04-15-2023, 11:06 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I used to be a Catholic, so I admit to having at least that bit of history or connection (long past now), but I will also never forget being in the plaza of the Vatican when the Pope made an appearance and blessed everyone in the crowd down below him. Which included me and my family. How many people can say they've been blessed by the Pope? How many atheists!?!

For lots of people the Pope may not be a rock star, but I have often heard non-catholics comment that Pope Francis "is the real deal," and so it would seem. Doesn't hurt he's from Argentina where my family emigrated from I suppose...

Old 04-15-2023, 11:32 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
For lots of people the Pope may not be a rock star, but I have often heard non-catholics comment that Pope Francis "is the real deal," and so it would seem. Doesn't hurt he's from Argentina where my family emigrated from I suppose...
As popes go, here have been lots of worse ones and few better. But that's only a relative statement, a bit like comparing televangelists or, apropos of recent headlines, like saying the Dali Lama is an unusually good DL despite inviting a child to suck his tongue the other day.

Much like any other celebrity, holy or otherwise, the pope is basically just a receptacle for people's projections.

Old 04-15-2023, 02:01 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As popes go, here have been lots of worse ones and few better. But that's only a relative statement, a bit like comparing televangelists or, apropos of recent headlines, like saying the Dali Lama is an unusually good DL despite inviting a child to suck his tongue the other day.

Much like any other celebrity, holy or otherwise, the pope is basically just a receptacle for people's projections.
Yup. But I just found it so interesting that two of my pretty-far-from-Christian, let alone Catholic, coworkers were that fascinated with him when he came to visit. Was good of him to get into my line of vision so I could snap him with my phone from 21 floors up. IIRC, his visit wasn't the 11th of September, but a couple of weeks afterward. I retired the following February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality