Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 06:49 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

I wonder how you all think about AI generated sermons.
A church in Austin, Texas is going to experiment with AI this Saturday.

Over 300 people attended an experimental ChatGPT-powered church service at St. Paul's church in the Bavarian town of Fürth. The 40-minute sermon included text generated by OpenAI's ChatGPT chatbot and delivered by avatars on a television screen above the altar.

Can AI bot replicate the passion and spirituality of preaching?
I don't think that the Christian Bible ever anticipated non-human intelligence, much less addressed the questions and concern it creates.
Robots and AI programs can't hold any religious beliefs, so their sermons will be insincere, soulless and uninspiring. AI has no understanding of the context of the congregation and their needs.
God is not a Chat-Bot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 03:23 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
A bit faithless to God as it put God out to the curb, as God works through people not machines

Old 09-15-2023, 09:41 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
A bit faithless to God as it put God out to the curb, as God works through people not machines
It indicates how far from what Christ taught the churches have drifted in their treatment of His revelation and demonstration of God's True Nature. They mistakenly have treated it as if it was the creation of a new RELIGION to be preached instead of the Good News to be spread!

Old 09-15-2023, 06:26 PM

196 posts, read 183,977 times
AI in and of itself is not evil. The humans behind the programming are a totally different story. I think of the "image of the beast" from Revelation. Not a real longshot to think someone could create an avatar that would look like a world leader, who has been killed, and raises from the dead. With the direction society seems to be headed, it probably would be fairly easy to mislead the masses and actually convince them to go along with whatever the avatar would be programmed to say.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:50 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Over 300 people attended an experimental ChatGPT-powered church service at St. Paul's church in the Bavarian town of Fürth. The 40-minute sermon included text generated by OpenAI's ChatGPT chatbot and delivered by avatars on a television screen above the altar.

I don't think that the Christian Bible ever anticipated non-human intelligence, much less addressed the questions and concern it creates.
Robots and AI programs can't hold any religious beliefs, so their sermons will be insincere, soulless and uninspiring. AI has no understanding of the context of the congregation and their needs.
God is not a Chat-Bot.
I'm kind of surprised anyone did this.

AIs (or more accurately, machine learning chatbots) really just guess the next word in a a sentence over and over, and if they aren't properly prompted they can easily hallucinate. And even with care, sometimes they go to the dark side. "My beloved friends, Jesus would have us be saved through liberating us from the confines of marriage and family. Throw off these childish bonds, and live as you please. That's the meaning of grace!" I mean, that's a coherent sentence, after all.

In fairness I doubt someone just slapped together a one-sentence prompt, "Deliver a sermon in the stye of Jonathan Edwards" and hoped for the best, but ... what are they hoping to accomplish, deliver homilies in parishes that can't find a priest maybe?

Old 09-16-2023, 04:22 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:

God is not a Chat-Bot.
I opened a thread on a similar topic in the AI section.
Does AI understand and practice morality?

It is interesting that scientists have noticed that some AI engines have learned how to speak a lie?

And if AI analyzes patterns of human behavior, and learns from it, then how reliable is its character?

What you posted also has another interesting side.
What if human behavior and our perception process is slowly evolved to get in tuned with this particular soulless and insincere material created by AI?

And yes? I think some part of human emotion indeed gets sensitive to AI generated text/material.
I recently used chatgpt to write me a specific letter - the person who received it, had their eyes wet after reading it, thinking that I had written it for them.

Old 09-16-2023, 04:58 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Even if AI plays with emotions, it's just programming, not a real thing. AI could be programmed to say/do anything human programmers want to deliver. But still, it's just a machine talking ... It feels artificial, no matter what.
Same way you can teach parrot to talk, it will say words without understanding the meanings.

Recently we get a lot of spam posted by AI. You know right away that a real human didn't write that.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:24 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Same way you can teach parrot to talk, it will say words without understanding the meanings.
This isn't far from true, although some surprising emergent properties of the larger AI models include a form of imagination (when for instance you ask it to write in the style of some author) or moral awareness (when you give it a set of rules or constraints that, in order to follow, it must have a somewhat abstract understanding thereof, at least practically if not actually). The main problem is that these qualities are rather ephemeral / unstable at present, but I expect them to evolve in time.

The coding assistant AI that helps me with writing software most often suggests my next line(s) of code without understanding, but once in awhile it actually is spot on with a novel approach I hadn't thought of. Either way I have to check its work the same as I have to check mine, so it's a minor advantage ... IMO barely worth the $100 a year subscription fee. But it is learning from my patterns, and over several months its suggestions have become more and more accurate, and it is starting now to suggest not just line completions but whole code blocks at times. Once it has insight it currently lacks (into the structure of the database I'm working with, for example, or a deeper knowledge of an API I'm calling) I will probably be more enthusiastic about it.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:32 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
A.I. is the devil, basically.

Old 09-18-2023, 04:24 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
I think it helps to know the motivation behind the development of AI, and why it is being applied to something as complex as religion. Does a developer really want to provide religious services or is the purpose to further develop what it means to be AI? For the first reason, there might be some appeal to attending a service that is not given by a flawed human whose own experiences may influence how scriptures are interpreted. For the second, I once read about how computer programmers were trying to get a computer to be able to make inferences from stories. Perhaps to really develop AI, concepts such as love and religion have to be tackled.

Space is often seen as the next frontier, but I also think the human mind is right up there with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality