Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2022, 08:40 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

For those of you who read books, this list might come in handy next time at the library or bookstore...

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/22/11351...est-books-2022

My Thanksgiving gift just for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 09:11 AM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Agreed. For what it’s worth, I don’t begrudge people who give a religious and spiritual spin to such personal life events, and I can even admire them to the extent that these events prompt them to make changes for the better. To them I say (and only of asked), “I personally don’t believe in those kinds of greater forces, but I respect that you do and I wish you nothing but the best.”

Of course, all bets are off if they haughtily proclaim their interpretation is the objective truth and all non-believers are misguided fools (or worse). That sort of nonsense I cannot indulge.
All the divrei Torahs I have written have come from the Author of scripture, dreams and life experiences.

People are free to discount that if they want. I don't force it on anyone.

I spent half my life with no guidance or bad guidance for the most part. And then all that changed.

I am not one to look down upon others for how they live their lives and what they believe. I just know "there comes a time" as that is my lived experience. And I know the great patience that has been afforded to me in my growth.

I went golfing yesterday, and when I go golfing now, I know it could be my last time. I golfed with an awesome old friend I have known since middle school, who knows the worst things about me. And an 84 year old man who spent 20 years in the penitentiary, who still hits the ball a mile and straight. And someone I just met that day. I don't know that any of them believe in God. We all had a great time in great company, and all contributing very entertaining moments.

Last edited by chief scum; 11-24-2022 at 09:26 AM..

Old 11-24-2022, 09:19 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
For those of you who read books, this list might come in handy next time at the library or bookstore... https://www.npr.org/2022/11/22/11351...est-books-2022My Thanksgiving gift just for you!
since this thread resides in the Religion and Spirituality section of the forum, then to keep it actually related to Religion and Spirituality, then readers may want to share and list the 3-5 books they are currently reading (or have read within the last say 6 months or so) which are related specifically to Religion and Spirituality.

i always have about 12 books at a time which are currently in progress (books at home, books in the car, books at my desk at work for reading at lunch and on break, books in my bag for waiting in line or at appointments). so here are some books which I am currently reading:
  • Dew Drops on a Lotus Leaf, Poems of Zen Master Ryokan
  • Turning Confusion into Clarity, Guide to Foundation Practices of Tibetan Buddhism, by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
  • Althar Intense, Living the Paradox, the ninth Althar book by Joachim Wolfram (my third read through these books, and yes i will read them again.)
  • Rebbe Nachman, The Power of Psalms, Book 2, Insights drawn from Breslov Teachings to enhance saying of Tehillim, translated and annotated by Dovid Sears
  • Step by Step Tai Chi, Natural Way to Strength and Health, by Master Lam Kam Chuen, guide for use in daily qi gong practice

it would be wonderful to share and see the titles and interests of readers here on CD, the 3-5 books you are currently reading related to Religion and Spirituality.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-24-2022 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-24-2022, 09:54 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
since this thread resides in the Religion and Spirituality section of the forum, then to keep it actually related to Religion and Spirituality, then readers may want to share and list the 3-5 books they are currently reading (or have read within the last say 6 months or so) which are related specifically to Religion and Spirituality.

i always have about 12 books at a time which are currently in progress (books at home, books in the car, books at my desk at work for reading at lunch and on break, books in my bag for waiting in line or at appointments). so here are some books which I am currently reading:
  • Dew Drops on a Lotus Leaf, Poems of Zen Master Ryokan
  • Turning Confusion into Clarity, Guide to Foundation Practices of Tibetan Buddhism, by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
  • Althar Intense, Living the Paradox, the ninth Althar book by Joachim Wolfram (my third read through these books, and yes i will read them again.)
  • Rebbe Nachman, The Power of Psalms, Book 2, Insights drawn from Breslov Teachings to enhance saying of Tehillim, translated and annotated by Dovid Sears
  • Step by Step Tai Chi, Natural Way to Strength and Health, by Master Lam Kam Chuen, guide for use in daily qi gong practice

it would be wonderful to share and see the titles and interests of readers here on CD, the 3-5 books you are currently reading related to Religion and Spirituality.
Any of those got pictures? I don't read books that don't contain pictures.

Old 11-24-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
so why don't you read books that don't contain pictures?

Old 11-24-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
What did I just say!?!

Old 11-24-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
What did I just say!?!
and i asked, why not

Old 11-24-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
and i asked, why not
Preference.

Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-24-2022, 10:07 AM

1,480 posts, read 479,838 times
Quote:
Quote:
When I listen or read, I tend to visualize. When I start on a project, I must be able to visualize the finished product and work toward that goal. Some see a hunk of junk and I see a finished car. Just as most of my customer have that vision of what they are looking for, and I have to translate that into what I have to do.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
When I listen or read, I tend to visualize. When I start on a project, I must be able to visualize the finished product and work toward that goal. Some see a hunk of junk and I see a finished car. Just as most of my customer have that vision of what they are looking for, and I have to translate that into what I have to do.
yes, when i read a book i see it unfolding visually, it is like i am not only watching a movie, but I am in the movie and experiencing what the book is about. even books that may seem abstract unfold within visually and i see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality