Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 06:16 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
I think Jim Bakker was somekind of televangelist and convicted sex offender.
He was from the area I used to live in (western Michigan -- Muskegon in his case). I don't believe sexual predation was his particular vice, it was just general grifting and dishonesty. He ran his organization into bankruptcy after his whole Ponzi scheme collapsed. He was convicted for fiduciary misconduct, basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 09:15 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He is still alive, aged 87, although it's unclear how active he is.

After his famous tearful "I have sinned" message after he was caught with a prostitute in 1986, he was caught yet again in 1991. THAT time, he stated, "The Lord told me it's flat out none of your business." His son Donnie did then announce his father was stepping down from leadership of his organization for a "time of healing".

So yeah, he is no more respectable now than he ever was.

His son, Donnie has taken over the racket. A notorious name is a terrible thing to waste.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I know nothing of Gilley, but when Jerry Lee Lewis died I did not understand all the hagiography around a guy who married a 14 year old at one point in his life and played the piano with his butt-cheeks.

We 'muricans love us some grifters and charlatans, I guess. The epitaph on our national tombstone will doubtless be, "We lowered the bar like no other!"

I think not many people are aware that Jimmy got caught with a prosty again and this time he went full metal jacket. Sitting with members of his church board (who no doubt collect hefty cuts of the church plate) on TV he exclaimed, "I've prayed about it and the Holy Spirit sent me a message to tell people, 'It's flat none of your business' ". The board members nodded in assent with "Mmmm....Praise the Lord.....Yes....Hallelujah...". Gotta love pastors who get caught and then have the brass walnuts to tell their congregation, "My sexual peccadilloes are none of your business. This is between me and God....oh, and the prosty I have to pay a huge bribe with church funds to to keep her mouth shut."

Old 11-23-2022, 09:39 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
He is still alive, aged 87, although it's unclear how active he is.

After his famous tearful "I have sinned" message after he was caught with a prostitute in 1986, he was caught yet again in 1991. THAT time, he stated, "The Lord told me it's flat out none of your business." His son Donnie did then announce his father was stepping down from leadership of his organization for a "time of healing".

So yeah, he is no more respectable now than he ever was.
Yes. I agree. Jimmy and his family are money-grubbing shysters. Maybe at one point Jimmy's faith was real. Maybe Donnie's faith was real at one point. I have no idea. I can only judge based on what I see from them, and that isn't good.

But the fact is, as this relates to the OP, yes, guys claiming to be pastors can and do screw up and do stupid stuff. Christians and those claiming to be Christians don't always act like Christians.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:01 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. I agree. Jimmy and his family are money-grubbing shysters. Maybe at one point Jimmy's faith was real. Maybe Donnie's faith was real at one point. I have no idea. I can only judge based on what I see from them, and that isn't good.

But the fact is, as this relates to the OP, yes, guys claiming to be pastors can and do screw up and do stupid stuff. Christians and those claiming to be Christians don't always act like Christians.
Claiming to be a pastor, priest, apostle, or another spokesperson for God is a dangerous business since it attaches the burden of those you influence to your responsibilities, IMO. Not smart!

Old 11-23-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Claiming to be a pastor, priest, apostle, or another spokesperson for God is a dangerous business since it attaches the burden of those you influence to your responsibilities, IMO. Not smart!
Not to mention the Bible warns the man aspiring to be an elder.

And no, elders don't claim to speak for God. They merely preach what God has already said.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Exactly. It's dangerous business because God might send them a bolt out of the blue. Then where would they be?

Old 11-23-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Exactly. It's dangerous business because God might send them a bolt out of the blue. Then where would they be?
No, Thrill, but it impacts what kind of person you are becoming which will have consequences. People are so concerned about what God will or will not do to them which is just stupid. God is not doing anything to us, but what we BECOME will have consequences! That is why it is all about what WE do or do not do, NOT what God will do to us!

Old 11-23-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
No, Thrill, but it impacts what kind of person you are becoming which will have consequences. People are so concerned about what God will or will not do to them which is just stupid. God is not doing anything to us, but what we BECOME will have consequences! That is why it is all about what WE do or do not do, NOT what God will do to us!
Quote:
Smells like hypocrisy.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Smells like hypocrisy.
No, BF, the consequences are NOT imposed by God. They are the natural result of what we have BECOME. They are avoidable by NOT becoming what results in those consequences. To our ancestors that translated to it being what we WANTED or that we chose to reject God. That is because they actually believed God imposed everything that happened to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality