Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 03:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
If the Church takes in a lot of money,....'Why not?'

The Church is a Non-profit organization....which means 'the Church is NOT ALLOWED to Show a Profit' at the end of their tax year. That money must be spent on something related to church activities.

Pay the Musicians, pay security, pay custodial, pay the pastor. What's wrong with making a Profit?

???
Typically, a church is expected in such a case to put money into missions. It's typically a sign of a good church if they do spend a portion of their income on furthering missions work either domestically or overseas, as well as helping organizations such as the local homeless shelter, food pantry, etc. In our instance, we do maintain a savings account, but we do not have millions stashed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 04:18 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Christian recording music stars coming to the church would get a fee for their ministry or donations for semi-professional stars who are in ministry ..... Jesus would lead his children to take donations and let Jesus give them what they need for their travels........ Any local musician who attend the church should need to be in ministry for an extra pastor wages and do the works of the Pastor or other gifts God has for the church ...... Then musician who have ministry of worship would take no fee and get their reward from the treasures of Heaven ..... See Jesus spirit would help them conform to the other musicians in songs and be victory where faith is expressed

Old 11-25-2022, 02:22 PM

159 posts, read 225,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Our church pays a local pianist to play 1 Sunday a month. It's a nominal charge. I wish we had talent in the church to play, but there just isn't. We are a small church body and we just don't have anyone.

What does one expect the small church in our position to do? I'm not talking about the megachurch that pays a rock band to perform every week. I mean a simple little church that pays a musician.
I think that's awesome, and it's respectful to the musician too. I just feel that churches can pay the minister, the cleaner, the bookkeeper and others, so why do some churches feel the musicians should just play for free? Many have gone to school and studied music and/or they have to practice ahead of time before their performances.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:12 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
My last very small, very low-budget church pays a pianist for Sunday services. He is excellent.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:31 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
I belong to a mega-church and was involved in music leadership for many years. The vast majority of our musicians are members. We fill in with a few paid musicians.

Old 11-26-2022, 02:33 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
I think that's awesome, and it's respectful to the musician too. I just feel that churches can pay the minister, the cleaner, the bookkeeper and others, so why do some churches feel the musicians should just play for free? Many have gone to school and studied music and/or they have to practice ahead of time before their performances.
I've got a friend whose daughter lives in and attends a larger church in a bigger city. She had to audition for the music team. They have literally too many musicians, and they don't have enough opportunities. In their case, they don't need to pay them. They choose to serve, and use their God-given talents. It's no different than the volunteer that serves in any other way.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:44 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
How about this - if you pay the musicians, pay the sound team.

Pay both, or pay neither.

It seems like if church members do sound duties, they aren't paid. When they have to hire people outside, they get paid.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:32 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I wish we had talent in the church to play, but there just isn't. We are a small church body and we just don't have anyone.
I admire your church...because there are lot of small churches full of people who THINK they have talent...and are ready to get up there and show it off.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:19 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I admire your church...because there are lot of small churches full of people who THINK they have talent...and are ready to get up there and show it off.
As music leader, I had to tell some people they couldn’t solo, even though they wanted to. Some took the news in stride and some left the music ministry entirely.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:03 AM

412 posts, read 137,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
As music leader, I had to tell some people they couldn’t solo, even though they wanted to. Some took the news in stride and some left the music ministry entirely.
Do you believe that's what the God you worship would want you to do?

This sort of reminds of a couple of Andy Griffith episodes:

The choir director invites Barney to join the choir before he realizes Barney can't sing.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0512447/

Mayberry's town band is the worst in the state and Mayor Stoner refuses to allow them to go to the state capital to play. It looks like they will have to stay home until Andy gets a little help from Freddy Fleet and his band.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0512595/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality