Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 03:01 PM

13,365 posts, read 7,672,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This Thanksgiving my wife and stepson have decided to do something non-traditional for the meal. We usually do turkey or ham, but my wife grew up in southern CA and misses good Mexican food; we make a 30 mile round trip for acceptable Mexican here in upstate NY. So they are combining my stepson's chef skills with my wife's love of Mexican food and preparing a pork shoulder roast and various Mexican and Mexican-style dishes around that. My wife has managed to take the week off and they are going to have a great time with it. I only insisted on purchasing a Trader Joe's pumpkin pie for dessert and extracted a promise that I will get my ham for Christmas dinner ;-)
Sounds great! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

We'll be hosting this year. My wife's mom is already here and will be staying all week. My parents are coming for the day along with my sister and her family.

On Thanksgiving morning, I plan to lead my family in the Te Deum, a traditional hymn of thanksgiving that is believed to date from at least the 4th century.

O God, we praise you; O Lord, we acclaim you.
Eternal Father, all the earth reveres you.
All the angels, the heavens and the Pow’rs of heaven,
Cherubim and Seraphim cry out to you in endless praise:
Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of hosts,
heaven and earth are filled with the majesty of your glory.
The glorious choir of Apostles sings to you,
the noble company of prophets praises you,
the white-robed army of martyrs glorifies you,
Holy Church throughout the earth proclaims you,
Father of boundless majesty,
with your true and only Son, worthy of adoration,
and the Holy Spirit, Paraclete.
You, O Christ, are the King of glory,
you are the Father’s everlasting Son;
when you resolved to save the human race,
you did not spurn the Virgin’s womb;
you overcame the sting of death
and opened wide the Kingdom of Heaven
to those who put their faith in you.
You are seated at the right hand of God
in the glory of the Father.
We believe you are the Judge who is to come.
And so we beg you, help your servants,
redeemed by your most precious blood.
Number them among your saints in eternal glory.

Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance.
Shepherd them and raise them to eternal life.
Day by day, we bless you
and praise your name for endless ages evermore.
Be gracious, Lord, on this day,
and keep us from all sin.
Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy.
May your mercy be upon us, Lord,
as we place our trust in you.
In you, O Lord, I rest my hope:
let me never be put to shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 03:08 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,897,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I’m not a big Thanksgiving dinner person. I don’t dislike it, but I’m definitely not one of those people who salivates over it for weeks.

My wife is working, but my son and I are going to our friends’ home. I’m contributing roasted Brussels sprouts with beef bacon (to accommodate my one friend’s kosher-ish keeping father) and homemade Caesar salad. Of course, if you were joining, I would omit the bacon from the sprouts and anchovies from the salad.

My weight has slowly but steadily crept up this year, to the point that I’m now up 14 pounds from January 1st (and I’m not happy about it). I really need to bite the bullet and commit to Weight Watchers, which has worked for me in the past (and I’ve reactivated my subscription and everything). It just invariably brings out my crazy-obsessive side, although perhaps one sometimes needs to be a little bit crazy and obsessive in order to get weight loss plan results.

I, too, am happy for my beautiful and healthy three-year-old boy. Your older son’s personality will really start to develop over the next year, and it’s such a treat seeing how our children not just resemble us as their parents but develop distinct traits and preferences of their own.

There may be some grudges afoot across my friends’ respective immediate families (both of whom will be present), but I have no dog in any of those fights.

Everyone old enough to form political opinions ranges from conventionally neoliberal to progressive left, so there shouldn’t be any strife in that regard (and I know better than to start any as a guest).

I always sit out Black Friday shopping because I never have my ducks in a row to know what I want to get friends and family for the holidays. Those ideas usually come to fruition over the next several weeks thereafter. I’m not opposed to materialism and consumerism in moderation, as long as you need or have good reason to want (and can responsibly afford) what you’re purchasing. I don’t really buy things for myself around the holidays. I’m mostly focused on what I can provide that will bring a smile to the people in my life I hold near and dear, and I’m usually an excellent gift-giver because I put a lot of thought into the exercise.
Turns out I’ll be home with my little boy, who may have bronchitis or RSV. He doesn’t seem too badly affected, but he is coughing a lot, and we don’t want to expose anyone else pending the results of outstanding medical tests.

On the bright side, we will get to enjoy Caesar salad, Brussels sprouts with beef bacon, and sundry other delights as a family on Friday.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:15 PM

13,365 posts, read 7,672,399 times
Quote:
Turns out I’ll be home with my little boy, who may have bronchitis or RSV. He doesn’t seem too badly affected, but he is coughing a lot, and we don’t want to expose anyone else pending the results of outstanding medical tests.

On the bright side, we will get to enjoy Caesar salad, Brussels sprouts with beef bacon, and sundry other delights as a family on Friday.
I hope he feels better! There has been a bug going around my area, but it seems to have mostly dissipated by now. Each of my children has been down for at least a day or two over the past month or so.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:23 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,897,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I hope he feels better! There has been a bug going around my area, but it seems to have mostly dissipated by now. Each of my children has been down for at least a day or two over the past month or so.
Thank you for the kind words. I’m sure he’ll be back up and running soon enough.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:12 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. I’m sure he’ll be back up and running soon enough.
I hope he feels better My youngest was hospitalized with RSV as a baby. SO was I, decades ago We both survived, but we think Asthma was the result
Anyway take good care of him and let the virus runs its course You will do fine

I am cooking most if not all of the meal. My oldest son said he would help but I am not holding my breath in anticipation

I forgot to add how much I enjoy the Macy's parade and afternoon football

Traditions I like.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:25 PM

1,730 posts, read 731,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't usually celebrate Thanksgiving in the typical American way, but I do have one Thanksgiving tradition -- I sit down on Thanksgiving and decide which charities I wish to send contributions to (for the year) and make out checks and take them down to the post box. Favorites for me lately include Boys Town and a Thai organization that sponsors foster care in Thailand.
How wonderful of you!

I use to know an old man who went to my meeting house who taught me to always listen and reflect on what others say and do.

He also once said this: "There is always something beyond oneself, it is important to go there so that you can grow as a person and improve the universe."

That is certainly what you are doing there. Kudos to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Four years ago I died (cardiac and respatory arrest) in what the media called a "Horrific accident" I'm thankful for a second chance at life. I can walk with a cane or use a wheelchair if I'm tired, at least I'm still here.
So happy that you are here with this miracle called life. Make the most of your extra moments.

Quote:
I’m not a big Thanksgiving dinner person. I don’t dislike it, but I’m definitely not one of those people who salivates over it for weeks.

My wife is working, but my son and I are going to our friends’ home. I’m contributing roasted Brussels sprouts with beef bacon (to accommodate my one friend’s kosher-ish keeping father) and homemade Caesar salad. Of course, if you were joining, I would omit the bacon from the sprouts and anchovies from the salad.

My weight has slowly but steadily crept up this year, to the point that I’m now up 14 pounds from January 1st (and I’m not happy about it). I really need to bite the bullet and commit to Weight Watchers, which has worked for me in the past (and I’ve reactivated my subscription and everything). It just invariably brings out my crazy-obsessive side, although perhaps one sometimes needs to be a little bit crazy and obsessive in order to get weight loss plan results.

I, too, am happy for my beautiful and healthy three-year-old boy. Your older son’s personality will really start to develop over the next year, and it’s such a treat seeing how our children not just resemble us as their parents but develop distinct traits and preferences of their own.

There may be some grudges afoot across my friends’ respective immediate families (both of whom will be present), but I have no dog in any of those fights.

Everyone old enough to form political opinions ranges from conventionally neoliberal to progressive left, so there shouldn’t be any strife in that regard (and I know better than to start any as a guest).

I always sit out Black Friday shopping because I never have my ducks in a row to know what I want to get friends and family for the holidays. Those ideas usually come to fruition over the next several weeks thereafter. I’m not opposed to materialism and consumerism in moderation, as long as you need or have good reason to want (and can responsibly afford) what you’re purchasing. I don’t really buy things for myself around the holidays. I’m mostly focused on what I can provide that will bring a smile to the people in my life I hold near and dear, and I’m usually an excellent gift-giver because I put a lot of thought into the exercise.
Thank you for all of your thoughtful words.

So wonderful that you are committing to living healthier. I've been able to get back to my pre-pregnant weight and get fit again. It isn't easy and it takes a lot of mental power, but you can do it! Small choices daily add up BIG! Exercise a bit more often....water and raw fruits and vegetables are what I did. Easier for me though being at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Family, freedom, good food and a good life

Some people like to see that we as atheists cannot be thankful because we do not believe in a god. Now true, we are not thankful TO GOD for anything, but we still have an outlook of thankfulness and gratitude to people and to life in general. Many of us Atheists are truly grateful people.
There is much for which to be thankful.

It is going to suck because this will be our first Thanksgiving without both my mom and my mother in law.
But we must appreciate who we have

100% Agree. I generally hate politics and will not even waste time on it anymore

BUT WAIT Black Friday is FUN!!!!! Now yes, there is too much consumerism and too much materialism, but Black Friday has become more about ENTERTAINMENT for my son and myself than about buying stuff we do not want or need. We go out and sometimes come home with very little. This year our challenge is to find charitable gifts and curb all impulse spending

Check out my post on the shopping thread about Black Friday It started with me as entertainment then morphed to pure spite when it was no longer entertaining, then became entertaining but in a less material way. although, I have one long time friend in Texas that still hates that I do it, and so there is the spite/entertainment aspect.

There is no material item I must have. As for gifts, if I cannot wear it , drink it , or eat it, then I do not want it. And since my new weight loss program, which has taken off nearly 25 lbs with 13 to go, I do not drink much alcohol. In fact, I can get ill from it And eating, well, I do not eat as much, so that prevents over eating.
That is AMAZING that you've lost so much weight! I got back down to my pre-pregnancy weight and it was mentally draining at times.

I had to go without things quite a bit in my high school years as we were poor, but now I have a husband with a big income who is super frugal so it's kind of the same as before!!! At least in some ways.

Anyone who says an atheist can't be thankful needs to look through other people's point of view more often, so don't worry on that.

PS I stay away from alcohol and if it makes you sick I think I'd stay away from that too. My father became a drunk after my mom died and it made our challenges a thousand times worse...I had to work all through high school because he couldn't even hold a job.

Last edited by QuakerBaker; 11-22-2022 at 06:41 PM..

Old 11-22-2022, 06:47 PM

50,125 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
How wonderful of you!

I use to know an old man who went to my meeting house who taught me to always listen and reflect on what others say and do.

He also once said this: "There is always something beyond oneself, it is important to go there so that you can grow as a person and improve the universe."

That is certainly what you are doing there. Kudos to you!

Thank you. I started doing that quite a few years ago when I wanted to do something concrete to show thankfulness on Thanksgiving. It's become a tradition.

Have a great holiday!

Old 11-22-2022, 07:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Hi phet, you are an inspiration, xo hug...look up your old KKTV, KRDO, and KOAA TV stations if you wanna help our Club Q fellow gay friends. Oh my.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:22 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

That is AMAZING that you've lost so much weight! I got back down to my pre-pregnancy weight and it was mentally draining at times.

I had to go without things quite a bit in my high school years as we were poor, but now I have a husband with a big income who is super frugal so it's kind of the same as before!!! At least in some ways.

Anyone who says an atheist can't be thankful needs to look through other people's point of view more often, so don't worry on that.

PS I stay away from alcohol and if it makes you sick I think I'd stay away from that too. My father became a drunk after my mom died and it made our challenges a thousand times worse...I had to work all through high school because he couldn't even hold a job.

Thanks

I will admit, I have help losing weight Due to repeated failures with diet , my doctor put me on OZEMPIC Now I do not have diabetes, but I do have a slightly elevated A1c Enough to go on weekly doses and it is working for weight loss.

That being said, it does not mix with alcohol. Last time I had a rum and Dr Pepper (one of my faves) I was sick into the next day

I'll probably skip any wine at Thanksgiving.

Just made some banana rum bread though. The alcohol cooks out and the rum adds a slightly good taste as well as moistening the cake. The key is to soak the bananas in rum for a few hours , then pour a half ****** of rum on top, about 20 minutes til the end of the baking, pour another full ****** on the top.

BUT you probably bake foods better than I do anymore

Everyone likes it, even the old lady (wife)

Tomorrow night, I will make 2 pumpkin pies

Old 11-22-2022, 07:47 PM

19,717 posts, read 13,262,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Thanks

I will admit, I have help losing weight Due to repeated failures with diet , my doctor put me on OZEMPIC Now I do not have diabetes, but I do have a slightly elevated A1c Enough to go on weekly doses and it is working for weight loss.
I was on Rybelsus for awhile, which is similar (oral version of injectable basically), and it did mute my appetite. Problem was after a few weeks I developed terrible heartburn, which stopped within a couple of days of quitting that medication. Look out for that, I almost didn't connect the dots and thought it was just another way my body was disintegrating!

Maybe the injected version wouldn't have that problem, IDK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality