Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:06 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Okay, to those who have answered...why do you come on threads that are meant for the response of Christians? Have we forced you do do so?
You posted a topic in a public forum where you expect to talk about atheists and expect that atheists will just sit by while a bunch of people uninformed properly about atheism will discuss them?

Posting a topic is an invitation for replies. You didn't force us to reply but you surely invited us.

Why does it seem that the atheist opinion is unwelcome to you?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 PM

123 posts, read 303,889 times
Wink Of the religion in sociology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Atheists or agnostics are not out to hurt the Christian community (or muslim, jewish, hindu, wiccan etc...).

Speaking for myself, while I have no belief (and never have) I do think its a great thing for other people to have faith. I hope my children have faith, I can see how that would be a comfort in hard times. So, I don't try to take away from someones faith, I do however, wish that they would stop trying to put some in me

Does an atheist have advantage to be socially connected? Or is his advantage the household at sociological improvement? The reason I ask this is because the sociology can't be so narrow in progress that it's burden for change be perceived all in economics as it is for the Globalization. Of course, post-modernism has some notion of sociology for the future of the ethics of manageing cities.

Now, as to your question about why non believers come on this forum.....why not? Personally, I am interested in all things including religion. I may not understand it, but right there is a good reason to read about it!
I find myself posting when someone slurs a religion (catholicism and mormonism) or seems a tad off balanced or even to take advantage of the ability to ask questions of people of varied faiths (islam and evangelicals).
The internet is what you make of it, I try to learn.
I conclude to ask what of sociology. Is that for a state religion or can it plan life for the individual in the community with the advantage of freedom whether one communicates or not?

I don't get the editing cryptics. They seem to want to develop my meaning for lee-way instead of God's existence like the freedom for communication issue HERE.

Last edited by KrisKr; 05-27-2008 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: Plato's apology.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:56 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
I am really wanting to know why athiests are so strong in their efforts to destroy Christianity.
Thats the job of antitheists who may or may not be atheists

Quote:
A Christian's effort to teach Christianity is because we hope to save people from the judgement to come.

Why is that a threat to athiests?
Yes I've heard the "its for your own good" line from my mother many many times in the past. I'm an adult now so I hope that at least I can be trusted with making my own decisions in life, specially ones that do not hurt my fellow man such as what to believe in.

If god is to deny me that right then so be it but you however are not god and I don't believe you speak for her. So do I have to wait until its mandatory to worship THE god or can I say bugger off now?

Quote:
What are athiests 'fighting' for?
Us atheists aren't fighting for anything. Many like me however are fighting against something such as indiscrimination on religious grounds or cretinism

Then there are us who are opinionated and who do not wish to be misrepresented, specially when it seems to be intentional for the sake of belittling:
Moving On Up!

Quote:
Is it a fear that Christians are right, and they don't want us to be?

How would our being right harm them?

Would it change their fate, or their lives if we are wrong?

Is it possible that they may know that there is a 'power' that is causing them to be so against Christians?

I know, this is a lot to consider...but I would really like to know "Why?"..
Whats the point in asking why if thats the only answer you are willing to accept?

Last edited by coosjoaquin; 05-28-2008 at 03:19 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 03:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Chick tracks are the most hateful pieces of garbage I've ever seen. If that's what their god is like, I want to be as far away as possible.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 AM

553 posts, read 568,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Chick tracks are the most hateful pieces of garbage I've ever seen. If that's what their god is like, I want to be as far away as possible.

Ugh...I'm so ashamed to even mention I used to read his garbage.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:14 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Ok, I am scared to ask but my innate sense of curiosity is killing me. What are Chick Tracks???

Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 AM

553 posts, read 568,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ok, I am scared to ask but my innate sense of curiosity is killing me. What are Chick Tracks???
Actually to make a slight correction to Chiegirl's post, it's Chick Tracts. Small little booklets Christians pass out on trains, buses, at schools, etc. I used to read them 20 years ago while living in New York and I used to see them all over the trains and buses on the floor and in the seats.

They were indeed clever and shaped a lot of biblical concepts in my mind. He certainly took a lot of creative license to tell you the truth AND tried to scare you with hell and bribe you with heaven. The Catholic Church was a favorite target of his also.

Take a look HERE for his website.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
They are these little pamphlets made by a guy called Jack Chick. The gimmick is that you leave it around public places or the churches belonging to the idolaters(read:catholics, mormons and pretty much anything that does not conform to chicks mode of evangelism).

Every scientist is painted as an arrogant twerp, gay people always have little devils floating around them. Muslims all pray to a moon god, rock music is actually satanism in disguise, 1964's bewitched was created by the devil, celebrating halloween is devil-worship, all catholic priest will literally to turn you into a sodomite and are waiting for people to be on their deathbeds to send then away from jesus, jesuits were behind the assasination of lincoln. God is a faceless egomaniacal man who sits in a chair all day sending people to hell.....jesus the list goes on forever.

There's also little tracks adapted for "black audiences" which is what happened when people started to notice there were no white people anywhere in his tracks. Its basically the same story as another track but all the characters are rounder and are painted in a darker shade of grey.

I read it religiously(cringe worthy pun not intended) for the laughs. My favourite ones have to be the one where we find atoms are held together by the power of jesus, the one where a kid becomes america's most wanted(his face appearing next to bin laden of course) because his parents told him santa claus was real
http://www.chick.com/tractimages19400/1033/1033_10.gif (broken link)

and of course this one:

Oh boy I wish I was making this up but relating to the topic, its people like these that get others so angry at christians leaving those feeling the brunt of it to wonder why so much cynicism is directed at them and at christianity.

Last edited by coosjoaquin; 05-28-2008 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: corrections needed

Old 05-28-2008, 05:10 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Ok, I've seen these things before. I didn't know what they were called but, yeah, I've seen them. I think the last time I received one was when my wife and I were flying back to Japan for a visit. There was this old man checking ID's and tickets at the entrance to the international terminal. He instantly recognized my wife as Japanese and started speaking to her in Japanese. She was taken by surprise but he explained to her that he was stationed there after the war and married a Japanese woman too. All was fine and we exchanged pleasantries at this not so common occurrence. He then reached into his pocket and handed both her and I a little booklet. In a hurry to get through to the gate I said "Thank You" without looking at it and slipped it into my pocket.

We made it onto the plane and I ended up in the middle seat between my wife and some other guy. I pulled out the little booklet to see what it was that he gave me and opened it up. Low and behold it was one of those horrible devices. Well, the man sitting next to me noticed it and started blabbing away. Apparently, he was a missionary headed to Indonesia to spread the word. So, for 15 hours I got to listen to how wonderful it was to believe in Jesus all because of that little pamphlet that the deceptive old codger slipped me in line.

I completely forgot about that event until just now... Thank you for allowing me to remember what it was like I now know that if there is a hell, it will be an eternity of sitting in the middle seat next to a missionary who thinks you've been inspired because you're holding a Chick Tract and feels its his duty to preach to you. I think I'd rather put a gun to my head.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Having a philosophy which I feel entitled to share with people , Christians or otherwise amounts to trying to bring down Christianity ?

I have to say that it a new one on me. You learn something new everyday.

Atheists are by nature curious people and most are interested in various ideas, intellectual concepts and philosophies. Most of us feel that engaging in an open and frank discussion about this , is actually intellectually stimulating as well as educational.

I personally have no desire to bring down Christianity and I am sure most atheists bar a few "fundies" would agree with me.

What Christians believe is of interest to me as I try to understand how other minds function and yes I do find faith utterly bemusing and in the case of some posters preposterous.

Most Christians strike me as nice, decent human beings and I would like to believe that an exchange of ideas is a good way to both sides to come to some understanding of how the other thinks.

The argument do get heated on occasions usually because one side has provoked the other ( and I think the fault DOES lie with both sides).

Christians are not little shrinking violets to be protected against the outside world. I am quite sure that they can often give as good as they get.

I would also add that a lot of provocation is often perpetrated by the faith based side who accuse the atheists of not thinking, not being wise, not spiritually aware, not able to truly fathom the mysterious depths of religious beliefs, not understanding etc...

So I'm afraid you have to expect some comebacks and responses.

Most Atheists find religion baffling but still it interests us as it is part of humanity.
It's called intellectual curiosity and we have as much right to express our opinions as Christians do.

Welcome to the world of debate.

As the forum is a public space, I feel entitled to express myself , and usually I am provoked into it by some ridiculous assertions about Atheists.
As for trying to destroy Christianity, I would have thought it is the other way around. It seems to me Christians spend far more time telling us poor unsaved souls about the errors of our way and trying to save us or condemning us to the fiery sulphurous pits of hell.

The amount of proletysing is truly, truly scary. I think the Christians are trying to destroy Atheism.

BTW those tracts are truly terrifying. I love America but sometimes I just am glad to live on a continent with normal Christianity. The type which does not require a departure from sanity and a leap into the completely freaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality