Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2022, 10:03 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
What makes you so special with your false judgments? They are cheap and everywhere. I get the mentally ill judging me, drug addicts, alcoholics, all kinds of ignorant people with all kinds of problems judging me.
Talk about judgement. My word...

I hate to ask, but why do you lump drug addicts and alcoholics in there with all kinds of ignorant people?

Most people who are not ignorant know that drug addicts and alcoholics suffer from a disease if not more than one and sometimes mental illness too. Many who are far from ignorant. They're just sick. You should know this. You go on about being knowledgeable and wise. This too is knowledge we don't necessarily learn in school, but knowledge we should all share regardless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 10:07 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Not to offend anyone, but I think talking about the posters instead of the topics is a matter of emotional intelligence. It doesn't matter what the person's I.Q. assessment states; if they are not emotionally mature, they will often go below the belt to dissuade conversations.
Good point. No offense taken!

Emotional intelligence is another important form of intelligence not commonly shared in this forum...

Old 12-14-2022, 10:13 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
Not to offend anyone, but I think talking about the posters instead of the topics is a matter of emotional intelligence. It doesn't matter what the person's I.Q. assessment states; if they are not emotionally mature, they will often go below the belt to dissuade conversations.
It's kind of funny that this all started because somebody asked somebody else about "college classes" and that person got offended because it was "too personal"...

I guess that is a touchy subject for some?

Old 12-14-2022, 10:15 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
I'm kinda new here, so not sure who all the atheists are, but have noticed that the atheists like to talk about God. Ever wonder why that is?
Because most of us live in a culturally Christian nation, so we meet more believers of the Abrahamic religions.

Also, many of us were Christians.

Quote:
Well if you are an atheist, then I don't see any reason to talk about God and the Bible with you, unless you might be moved to believe in God.
I am not sure you want to talk with Christians, neither. Talk at them, yes.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:17 AM

4,085 posts, read 878,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Welcome! We regulars could use a few more new comers in this forum...

I started a thread that I think will well answer your question. In particular my OP (Opening Post)...

Why an Atheist in the R&S forum?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...r-s-forum.html

As for your point that I "helped prove," if your point is that you don't need to go to college to be knowledgeable or wise, then sure. I'm not sure who was arguing otherwise. It wasn't me, but I've got no problem understanding or appreciating that knowledge and wisdom doesn't necessarily come from a college education. You asked about my point because you didn't seem to know what it was. I tried to explain, but perhaps all for not.

Have another look at my comment #267...

As I always like to recommend, "don't let school get in the way of your education."
I'll check out your thread. So was your dad a Christian? Glad you know what I mean about it not taking college to have wisdom.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Actually we have all the evidence, and it is usually the theists who resort to ad hominems.
That is so true. I have had some of the most evil hateful things said to me by other Christians. And those who call themselves Christian but don't believe the Bible is correct about animal sacrifices and hell being a real place, those are the ones who say the worst things about God.

Last edited by Jesus'Truth; 12-14-2022 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-14-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's fine, but that doesn't put a gag on us.
It's the verbal abuse to God I don't want to have part in, and my talking to an atheist about God always turns into an opportunity for them to do just that.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Anyone can claim knowledge about anything (and when it comes to knowledge about God, you certainly don't need to be a Christian). Just about anything goes when it comes to claims about knowing God actually. Whether anyone has knowledge about anything isn't simply determined by mere say so however...

Proof of knowledge, wisdom, intelligence about any subject, if shared with others, is born out by the quality of reason, logic and insight expressed by whomever chooses to share what they know or think about the subject. AKA to be convincing. For others to judge as they will. Some prove themselves to be quite knowledgable and apparently rightfully so. Others claim to be quite knowledgable, but apparently not so much.

Again I'm reminded of this quote that seems appropriate to share in this forum now and then...

"A Great Challenge in Life:

Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong." - Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson
God says He gives wisdom and understanding to those who love Him by obeying Him. Since we are talking about God and wisdom, it doesn't make sense to you to go by what God Himself says about it?

Old 12-14-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, Paul was definitely against ALL learning except the angel Jesus revealed in the OT and through visions.
Paul is making the point that going to college isn't how one gets wisdom from God.

Those with an education have a hard time humbling themselves, like the rich too, and those in power.

To get saved and have wisdom one has to humble themselves.

Last edited by Jesus'Truth; 12-14-2022 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-14-2022, 11:32 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
It's the verbal abuse to God I don't want to have part in, and my talking to an atheist about God always turns into an opportunity for them to do just that.
I guess that's just something you're going to have to live with, just as we atheists have to live with christian privilege in this society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality