Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2022, 06:58 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is a form of ginned-up religious ecstasy driven by group conformity and confirmation bias.
I wouldn't have phrased it any where near that well...but yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 03:27 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
That is your false opinion.
It is an observation based on what we do not know, and the different beliefs of 8 billion different people.

But if you know your god as well as you say, how did it create the universe?

Old 12-15-2022, 03:28 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
See that? There you go. I couldn't care any less about your false opinions about me.
No, it is an observation based on how you lecture other Christians, AND you admitting you only want to talk to believers.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:49 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
I hope my reply post about speaking in tongues was enjoyed.

I guess I'll unsubscribe to this thread.

Thanks.
Not sure "enjoyed" would be how I'd describe it, and perhaps leaving this thread is not a bad idea at all. I was thinking the same thing...

Old 12-25-2022, 04:11 AM

6,937 posts, read 6,868,065 times
Quote:
You are just more of the same like mordant.
It is why I don't discuss with people who don't love God and believe the Bible.
I think we can all argue about who loves God the most or doesn't. As if one person CAN love someone more than someone else?

It happens to be one of those things which cannot be measured, so any argument like that always ends up just a lot of hot air blown about by both sides.

And...since the Bible has been translated numerous times by various groups, it all comes down to which 'authority' is recognized by whom and why. Again, just a waste of time arguing.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:52 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,792,660 times
Quote:
To the serious person who loves to study the things of God...

Tongues are not for believers it is for unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22). The gift of tongues is a gift for a sign to the Jews (Isaiah 28:11, 12; 1 Cor 14:21; Acts 2:5, 8, Acts 10:44), during the laying of the foundation of the church. Speaking in tongues by the Gentiles also showed the Jews that God granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life (Acts 11:18). The sign has been given, and the foundation has since been laid (Eph 2:20), and tongues has ceased just as the Bible said it would.

Those speaking in tongues could declare the wonders of God (Acts 2:11). They could also praise God in tongues (Acts 10:46). Not everyone spoke in tongues (1 Cor 14:5). If someone spoke in tongues, then they should pray that they should also interpret what they say, for the benefit of others (1 Cor 14:19).
Even when praying and singing while speaking in tongues, the speaker, for himself also, should interpret what he is saying so that it is fruitful for his mind (1 Cor 14:13, 14, 15). If there is no interpreter in church, then the speaker should keep quiet (1 Cor 14:28).

If speaking in tongues is the language of angels (1 Cor 13:1), angels minister to humans (Heb 1:14), and humans are to understand tongues in earthly languages (Acts 2:6, 11). Speaking in a tongue are words and not groans. When we are so distraught and all we can do is groan the Spirit intercedes for us with words to God for us (Rom 2:6). That has nothing to do with speaking in tongues.

The perfect has come the first time, Jesus (Heb 5:9); his perfect sacrifice (Heb 10:14), his perfect law (James 1:25); and the way to make us perfect (Matt 5:48; Heb 5:9, 10:14, 11:40).

Speaking in tongues would be “stilled” (1 Cor 13:8), stilled when prophecies ceased and knowledge of the mystery was revealed. Tongue speakers spoke mysteries (1 Cor 13:2, 14:2); consequently, the mystery of the gospel has been given (Eph 6:19), the mystery has been revealed (Col 1:26).

Speaking in tongues is for unbelievers of another language, a foreign language, they hear a tongue speaker and it causes them to believe in God because they hear a person speak in their language.

Tongues ceased a long time ago, and what nowadays tongue speakers are doing, is not speaking in foreign languages that they were never taught to speak. No one from other languages is coming to belief in Jesus because they hear the gospel spoken in their foreign language.
The believers in the Bible times who spoke in tongues, they spoke in tongues supernaturally. The believers who supposedly speak in tongues nowadays, they speak gibberish and believe God turns their gibberish into supernatural language, and that is a false doctrine.
What a bunch of hogwash, I wanted to see this post you think is so phenomenal. You know what "speaking in tongues" actually means? NOTHING! It's gibberish and it's freaking scary as crap to be at a church that does supposedly speak in tongues. It's insane. Do YOU speak in tongues? Of course you do. All that means, in present day (cause that's where we live), is that you are praising an invisible god in gibberish. And all Christians speak gibberish. Christianity IS gibberish and nonsensical. Mystery? The only mystery here is how supposedly rational people can still believe in gods. It does no good to quote scripture to former Christians or atheists.

Go back and read post #81 and #86. I know some things.

Old 01-01-2023, 05:55 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth
To the serious person who loves to study the things of God...

Tongues are not for believers it is for unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22). The gift of tongues is a gift for a sign to the Jews (Isaiah 28:11, 12; 1 Cor 14:21; Acts 2:5, 8, Acts 10:44), during the laying of the foundation of the church. Speaking in tongues by the Gentiles also showed the Jews that God granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life (Acts 11:18). The sign has been given, and the foundation has since been laid (Eph 2:20), and tongues has ceased just as the Bible said it would.

Those speaking in tongues could declare the wonders of God (Acts 2:11). They could also praise God in tongues (Acts 10:46). Not everyone spoke in tongues (1 Cor 14:5). If someone spoke in tongues, then they should pray that they should also interpret what they say, for the benefit of others (1 Cor 14:19).
Even when praying and singing while speaking in tongues, the speaker, for himself also, should interpret what he is saying so that it is fruitful for his mind (1 Cor 14:13, 14, 15). If there is no interpreter in church, then the speaker should keep quiet (1 Cor 14:28).

If speaking in tongues is the language of angels (1 Cor 13:1), angels minister to humans (Heb 1:14), and humans are to understand tongues in earthly languages (Acts 2:6, 11). Speaking in a tongue are words and not groans. When we are so distraught and all we can do is groan the Spirit intercedes for us with words to God for us (Rom 2:6). That has nothing to do with speaking in tongues.

The perfect has come the first time, Jesus (Heb 5:9); his perfect sacrifice (Heb 10:14), his perfect law (James 1:25); and the way to make us perfect (Matt 5:48; Heb 5:9, 10:14, 11:40).

Speaking in tongues would be “stilled” (1 Cor 13:8), stilled when prophecies ceased and knowledge of the mystery was revealed. Tongue speakers spoke mysteries (1 Cor 13:2, 14:2); consequently, the mystery of the gospel has been given (Eph 6:19), the mystery has been revealed (Col 1:26).

Speaking in tongues is for unbelievers of another language, a foreign language, they hear a tongue speaker and it causes them to believe in God because they hear a person speak in their language.

Tongues ceased a long time ago, and what nowadays tongue speakers are doing, is not speaking in foreign languages that they were never taught to speak. No one from other languages is coming to belief in Jesus because they hear the gospel spoken in their foreign language.
The believers in the Bible times who spoke in tongues, they spoke in tongues supernaturally. The believers who supposedly speak in tongues nowadays, they speak gibberish and believe God turns their gibberish into supernatural language, and that is a false doctrine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
What a bunch of hogwash, I wanted to see this post you think is so phenomenal. You know what "speaking in tongues" actually means? NOTHING! It's gibberish and it's freaking scary as crap to be at a church that does supposedly speak in tongues. It's insane. Do YOU speak in tongues? Of course you do. All that means, in present day (cause that's where we live), is that you are praising an invisible god in gibberish. And all Christians speak gibberish. Christianity IS gibberish and nonsensical. Mystery? The only mystery here is how supposedly rational people can still believe in gods. It does no good to quote scripture to former Christians or atheists.

Go back and read post #81 and #86. I know some things.
Perhaps I'm missing something here. What is it about J'T's post that caused such an outburst from you? Going to bat for J'T is not something that I would typically do with regard to other 'religious matters' but it seems to me that you're calling 'hogwash' a post that you should be agreeing with.

As I say, have I missed something here?

Old 01-03-2023, 03:43 AM

6,937 posts, read 6,868,065 times
I think the people who believe they need to speak-up for and defend God and/or Christianity and/or religion really need to to know that God or religion do not need their help in this.

It (God/religion/whatever) will exist or not exist long after those folk have gone on to other worlds and it will make very little difference whether they defend those things or not. Maybe this is what they term 'bearing witness' but it is totally unnecessary since a God or religion worth its salt will probably be able to argue for itself - if it even cares who believes in it. It all seems so petty.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:41 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think the people who believe they need to speak-up for and defend God and/or Christianity and/or religion really need to to know that God or religion do not need their help in this.

It (God/religion/whatever) will exist or not exist long after those folk have gone on to other worlds and it will make very little difference whether they defend those things or not. Maybe this is what they term 'bearing witness' but it is totally unnecessary since a God or religion worth its salt will probably be able to argue for itself - if it even cares who believes in it. It all seems so petty.
I don't believe in god...but...if I'm wrong and there is such a being, then you've got the right take on it...at least in this regard.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:25 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

This is just a typical human misconception. They mistakenly believe that their specific beliefs ABOUT God are supposed to be defended and/or spread through proselytizing. For a Christian, that is NOT the Great Commission! We are just to spread the Good News that God is with Humanity permanently thanks to Jesus. We are to remember Him and what He accomplished for us. Our task is to love God and each other every day as He did and repent when we fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality