Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 06:01 AM

1,754 posts, read 754,475 times

Advertisements

A lot of people may be visiting the religion forum as they are in a difficult time in their lives as religion often is used by people to help them through. I know that when I hit a very difficult time previously in my life, my relationship with Jesus was very important for helping me through it.

Consider these things no matter your religious beliefs:

1) The best way to honor God is to help your fellow humans....serve and love them. Doing so will give you more meaning and value in your life. Often if you give you receive and doing so will help your soul.

2) Take care of yourself. God wants you to be wise with your body. Get sleep, eat healthier, get exercised, especially outdoors in God's creation. Doing do will help your body and mind.

3) Remember to take time to breathe. Control your breathing. Slow...steady....sure....

4) Spend time in nature just sitting in silence...find thoughts....find a connection to the universe.

5) Remember that we are all created from the same universal matter. That atoms inside of you were once a part of or inside of past humans including historical figures...were once a part of past animals and even dinosaurs. We are all one and connected through creation and our shared matter. We all have similar interests and feelings...you're no different. We're all the same.

Any other ideas from other posters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 06:18 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Remember what struggles is the Ego.

Your are not your ego.
You are the Self which is Truth, Knowledge, and Fullness.
Your true Self never struggles.
Breath deep and reach your inner Self. Let your Ego recede and find your peace.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:39 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
A lot of people may be visiting the religion forum as they are in a difficult time in their lives as religion often is used by people to help them through. I know that when I hit a very difficult time previously in my life, my relationship with Jesus was very important for helping me through it.

1) The best way to honor God is to help your fellow humans....serve and love them. Doing so will give you more meaning and value in your life. Often if you give you receive and doing so will help your soul.

2) Take care of yourself. God wants you to be wise with your body. Get sleep, eat healthier, get exercised, especially outdoors in God's creation. Doing do will help your body and mind.

3) Remember to take time to breathe. Control your breathing. Slow...steady....sure....

4) Spend time in nature just sitting in silence...find thoughts....find a connection to the universe.

5) Remember that we are all created from the same universal matter. That atoms inside of you were once a part of or inside of past humans including historical figures...were once a part of past animals and even dinosaurs. We are all one and connected through creation and our shared matter. We all have similar interests and feelings...you're no different. We're all the same.

Very thoughtful and kind post.

I would only add that we may feel lonely, but we are never alone.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:03 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
When it comes to struggle with religion, identify EXACTLY what bothers you?

Try to find it's explanation from various schools of thought within your faith.

Then, don't hesitate to talk to someone about it. Perhaps with more than one person. And perhaps with someone you trust.

If the answers are not satisfactory, do NOT dump the belief in God.

Try to find answers in other faiths and in other Holy scriptures. May be discuss your struggles with people of other faiths to see if you can find an answer that puts you into ease?

Always remember, no matter what your religious faith is, it WILL be tested at one point or another - so don't give up and always be hopeful.

Time changes everything.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:30 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Remember what struggles is the Ego.

Your are not your ego.
You are the Self which is Truth, Knowledge, and Fullness.
Your true Self never struggles.
Breath deep and reach your inner Self. Let your Ego recede and find your peace.
I guess you're still working on that one. People who have peace don't attack others, constantly. You need to take your own advice.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Sorry QuakerBaker, you mean well, I can see that but a couple of people who posted here in your thread are complete hypocrites.

If someone is having a difficult time, you don't always have to turn to an imaginary being to feel better. It's within all of us to pull our own selves up and set ourselves straight. Yes, we need help sometimes but I'd rather a sincere person without a religion help me, than a person who is insincere, fake and lies to people.

I wanted to address your post before I set the record straight about hypocrites and how much damage they do to their faiths by talking out of both sides of their mouths. People want honesty and integrity and strength and ACTION, not useless things like saying "I'll pray for you".

NO, we are NOT all the same. I will never accept being put on the same level as religious hypocrites. So brace yourself, here it comes.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:57 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Sorry QuakerBaker, you mean well, I can see that but a couple of people who posted here in your thread are complete hypocrites.

If someone is having a difficult time, you don't always have to turn to an imaginary being to feel better. It's within all of us to pull our own selves up and set ourselves straight. Yes, we need help sometimes but I'd rather a sincere person without a religion help me, than a person who is insincere, fake and lies to people.

I wanted to address your post before I set the record straight about hypocrites and how much damage they do to their faiths by talking out of both sides of their mouths. People want honesty and integrity and strength and ACTION, not useless things like saying "I'll pray for you".

NO, we are NOT all the same. I will never accept being put on the same level as religious hypocrites. So brace yourself, here it comes.
Excellent post.

Old 06-23-2023, 12:53 AM

Now that that is taken care of, onto to better things.

I want to help the entire world. I'm unable to do that, so I help where I can. I'm dealing with a person who I've known over 40 years right now who has become completely mad by his mental illness, to the point where I am the only person who will talk to him. His family has abandoned him, as well as friends. THAT is what I can do. An ear to listen, a shoulder to lean on and the best friend you could ever have.

Not tooting my own horn, this is who I am, really. Here at C-D I am Northsouth, fastest mouth in the South. Not so. We are all here looking for something at C-D. I am the exact same person I was before I became an atheist. The only thing that has changed about me is I got smarter. Being a member of C-D for so long, a lot of members saw my transformation. Yes, I have been that raving lunatic religious fanatic, it didn't work for me. Ever. I had no idea I had atheist 'tendencies', even at a early age. Best thing that ever happened to me, quite literally, is losing the old religion ball and chain.

I am in no way advocating for atheism. This isn't about proselytizing it's about being true to yourself, not other people's ideas of how you should be and dictating YOUR life. Do it. Just remember, in 100 years people on this earth will no longer remember us. Be yourself, now!

If you are out there, reading this and you are struggling, religion is not always the answer. It's a journey to find what is right for you. Keep going. If it turns out that religion works, just make sure you are doing some critical thinking and looking out for your own well being. Be aware. Watch for red flags.

Reach out. Don't try to do things alone when you're having troubles. You won't always find those who want to help you and don't have your best interest at heart. Keep trying and trust your gut. Dump 'em. If you run into those types when you're feeling like you are right now, try support groups. The internet is ok for that sort of thing, but there are always going to be nasty trolls out there waiting to make you feel even worse.

You got this. Sign up to C-D and talk to me. You will be able to tell who's genuine and who isn't. I mean this. I'm not just babbling. Words mean nothing. If they treat you poorly once, they will continue to do so. Be selective, be firm. Your life and feelings are just as important as anyone else's. Ok, now I feel like I'm babbling. Do the things that QuakerBaker mentioned in the opening post.

I literally went to the top of a mountain, meditated, got lost in my own thoughts, enjoyed the beauty of nature, and journaled. It was sort of a cleansing experience. Incredible inspiration struck me when I was in my early 40's, freshly divorced and feeling so horrible. I took a weekend trip to a little mountain town, all alone, and stayed at a quaint little bed & breakfast.

When I went back home, I did something that I had always wanted to do but I was afraid. Afraid I wasn't smart enough to do it or whatever other reasons I used as excuses not to do it. But I plowed through the fear and I did it! I was inspired to open a retail business with a certain design style from ages ago. It was perfect timing, the style I was creating came back into style at that time, making it a huge success.

Maybe it didn't last as long as I would have liked, but I overcame the fear that I wasn't qualified or smart enough to own my own business. It was quite the ride. Take your time, figure this out. Talk to people. Talk to religious people. Please don't confine it to religion, investigate everything and find your passion. My biggest passion is animals. I never pursued that avenue and I wish I had.

It takes real determination to survive this life. Not even Snoop Dogg, with as chill as he is, can escape the perils of life even if he is stoned all the time. That was random, lol. My point being, it always gets better. If you are struggling financially, in an abusive relationship, homeless, jobless whatever it might be, reach out. That's just my 1000 cents/words worth, it must be at least that long. Hang tough.

Old 06-23-2023, 02:02 AM

Prayer is out of humility.
Humility diminish the Ego.
The more the Ego is diminished the brighter Divinity shines.
Surrender your struggles to Divinity with prayer.
Know what is beyond your control and learn acceptance with equanimity.
This too will pass.
God bless.

Old 06-23-2023, 02:04 AM

Keep good company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality