Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 06:54 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
IMO what would identify an authentic and utilitarian use of the gift of tongues would be if you could suddenly acquire the ability to speak fluent Portuguese for the purpose of communicating the gospel to a person who only understands Portuguese.

I have never seen any accounts in the NT of this phenomenon that were just prattling for the sake of prattling, in some alleged heavenly language. In I Cor 13 it says "If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels but have not love, I am nothing" but this is clearly poetic license saying it doesn't matter how eloquently you speak if you don't do it with love; the topic is love, not glossalalia. It is terribly insufficient as the basis of some gift of heavenly speech.
Agreed 100%.

And the use of tongues is clearly regulated in Scripture. We see instructions in 1 Corinthians about the using them, including the use of an interpreter being required. The only time I've ever seen tongues used with an interpreter was when a woman stood up, rattled off something in the da-da-da-da-da-da typical babble, then she proceeded to "interpret" her own message. That's CLEARLY a misuse, according to Scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 08:09 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In 30 years of being a Christian I can't say I've ever seen what seemed to be an authentic use of tongues. I have seen plenty of what appeared to be inauthentic expressions, and uses that would have been condemned by the apostles.
So now you speak for the apostles. Amazing.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:28 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
They claim that it is the miracle as seen in the book of Acts on Pentecost. The Spirit was poured out on people and they spoke in languages they did not know, or rather people heard them in their own language.

The modern day show of it tends to be just babble, as you pointed out. It's well-meaning people that want to see God move, but they are trying too hard, and they start babbling, attributing to God what he didn't do.
The way you start out this comment is exactly the way I am forever considering all these various versions of spirituality, or connection(s), communication(s) with a god or spirits or supreme beings.

"They claim..."

How any of us are supposed to acknowledge, appreciate or validate any such claims is beyond me. Who's claims are any better or different than the others when everyone claims their experiences are real? That question should make everyone think at least twice about all such claims. Certainly does me anyway. Not a one any better than the next all considered far as I can tell.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:30 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
In 30 years of being a Christian I can't say I've ever seen what seemed to be an authentic use of tongues. I have seen plenty of what appeared to be inauthentic expressions, and uses that would have been condemned by the apostles.
An authentic use of tongues is people gifted and used by God to speak in different human languages in advancing the kingdom of God. It doesn't have to be miraculous.

The gift of tongues can be used by missionaries in different countries.

The gift of tongues can be used in translating Bibles.

The Spirit can use the gift as He desires - whether miraculously like in Acts 2, or through people who have an expertise in linguistics today.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:17 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
During my stint as a kid in the Assemblies of God we usually had the same few guys doing the tongues routine at the end of services. And usually it was the same few guys who did the interpretations.

As 15 year olds we named them...

There was the "Cota Papaya" guy.

The "Hobabakonda" guy.

The "Shemdeladogga" dude.

And so on.

Usually the interpretations would be a spin off of some scripture(s)...

Something like "Oh, lamb of God who saved us from the sins of the world... Come to us and fill our hearts with your joy."

Stuff like that.

What I hated is that it took a full hour for the service... a good 20-30 or minutes for the alter call and the people coming forward... and then another 20 minutes or so for these guys to do their tongues and interpretations.

My previously charismatic Lutheran parents left that AG church and continued to look for something that suited them better as former Lutherans. And we never did encounter another routine quite like the AG had with all that stuff.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So now you speak for the apostles. Amazing.
I mean...imagine if they'd actually have written down their teachings.....maybe in a collection of books. We'd maybe be able to consult it to see what they had to say.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:09 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There was the "Cota Papaya" guy.

The "Hobabakonda" guy.

The "Shemdeladogga" dude.

And so on.

Usually the interpretations would be a spin off of some scripture(s)...

Something like "Oh, lamb of God who saved us from the sins of the world... Come to us and fill our hearts with your joy."

Stuff like that.
Yes very low-bandwidth content. I remember that we had a "SHANDALA-kai" lady. Takes me back.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:56 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I mean...imagine if they'd actually have written down their teachings.....maybe in a collection of books. We'd maybe be able to consult it to see what they had to say.
And imagine if they had evidence to back up their rather preposterous claims!

Old 11-30-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
You've ignored any evidence given.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:50 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
If such a thing were possible or required with regard to making such claims, there would be no such claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality