Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 09:36 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
[color="Navy"] I'm rather surprised that those who believe in 'Pentecostal tongues' or those who claim to participate in this phenomenon have been noticeably absent from this thread. I would have thought that they would have been here defending this practice. Is this perhaps an indication that 'tongue-speaking' is on the decline?
It probably is on the decline. It is not real. I grew up in Pentecostal churches, and it was downright scary at times. I am an atheist now, but not before I got to experience the joys of people speaking in tongues. My Uncle was an Evangelical, Pentecostal, Fundamentalist preacher. He had a church in another state and we went to visit them when I was fairly young. But not so young that I don't vividly remember what took place. It was a 3 hour service with a whole lot of loud "amens" and "hallelujahs" and raised hands, especially during song worship.

When preacher Uncle would get going like those televangelists, then everyone else jumped in on the frenzy. I am not exaggerating when I say this. Several of the church members got up and starting running up and down the aisles, speaking in tongues. This was not the first time I had witnessed the god-speak but this particular time scared the bejeebers out of me. People were up at the alter on their knees being touched on the head and prayed over by my Uncle, then they would fall backwards and their eyes rolled back in their heads, supposedly slain in the spirit.

Then, a young girl was up at the front to the side of the alter, spinning around on one leg, in a circle, head back and eyes rolling, 'slain in the spirit' the entire 3 hours. And that was just one night at church. Imagine the fun I had having both sides of my family engulfed in this kind of insane behavior. It was and still is nothing but a cult. You said there wasn't any current "tongue-speaking" posters participating so how about a former one? Well, technically I only said one word, but it was heavily coerced and I think I just blurted something out to get them off my back.

I got so many stories. It may seem that I'm somehow damaged by all this and "just mad at god" Ugh, it's so exhausting to keep explaining that I can't be mad at something that doesn't exist. But man, life without religion and the residual effects of it not being a thing anymore? I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get the images, the sounds, the smells, the hammered teachings and hypocrites out of my head. But I'm trying like hell.

Quote:
It needs to be understood and emphasized WHY the gift of 'tongues', i.e., languages, were given in the first place. Jesus had commanded that the Gospel message be delivered to the entire world. And, in order to accomplish this the languages of the world had to be given to those with 'the message'. Jesus mentioned that the Holy Spirit would be sent to the disciples to help them accomplish this task.

Some 'heavenly language' given to 'edify' the speaker or to give them bragging rights of being 'Spirit-filled' was NEVER the intention behind 'the gift of tongues'. The 'gift of tongues' was NEVER a 'LOOK AT ME' thing!

However, people being people often read more into scripture than they probably should. They saw the words 'tongues of angels' and 'praying in the spirit', etc. and decided to run with those terms and create a new doctrine around them. Prior to 1906 (the Azusa Street Revival) 'tongues' was not a thing. After that event 'tongues' gradually took off and became the phenomenon that the Pentecostal Church claimed as their own.
Can't argue with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 06:58 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever wondered why other Christian denominations don't 'speak in tongues' ...why it's just the 'charismatics'? THIS - if nothing else - should arouse one's suspicions.
It is just a label for "Christians who speak in tongues" basically. If they practiced the truly miraculous speaking in human languages they didn't have to learn then that would just become part of the label. As I mentioned, a charismatic pastor admitted to me that without the baptism in the holy spirit as an experience separate from salvation and evidenced by speaking in tongues, they wouldn't BE charismatics. So I don't see anything suspicious about it.

If what you're getting at is that a "true" gift of tongues would be universal, like more prosaic things such as the "gift of hospitality", and it wouldn't be concentrated in one sub-group (there isn't a Church of Hospitality or a concept of Hospitable Christians) -- well, their explanation for that is similar to what Mormons and JWs and to an extent fundamentalists see themselves as -- as reformists within a moribund Christianity, trying to restore something that was lost along the way.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:40 PM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It probably is on the decline. It is not real. I grew up in Pentecostal churches, and it was downright scary at times. I am an atheist now, but not before I got to experience the joys of people speaking in tongues. My Uncle was an Evangelical, Pentecostal, Fundamentalist preacher. He had a church in another state and we went to visit them when I was fairly young. But not so young that I don't vividly remember what took place. It was a 3 hour service with a whole lot of loud "amens" and "hallelujahs" and raised hands, especially during song worship.

When preacher Uncle would get going like those televangelists, then everyone else jumped in on the frenzy. I am not exaggerating when I say this. Several of the church members got up and starting running up and down the aisles, speaking in tongues. This was not the first time I had witnessed the god-speak but this particular time scared the bejeebers out of me. People were up at the alter on their knees being touched on the head and prayed over by my Uncle, then they would fall backwards and their eyes rolled back in their heads, supposedly slain in the spirit.

Then, a young girl was up at the front to the side of the alter, spinning around on one leg, in a circle, head back and eyes rolling, 'slain in the spirit' the entire 3 hours. And that was just one night at church. Imagine the fun I had having both sides of my family engulfed in this kind of insane behavior. It was and still is nothing but a cult. You said there wasn't any current "tongue-speaking" posters participating so how about a former one? Well, technically I only said one word, but it was heavily coerced and I think I just blurted something out to get them off my back.

I got so many stories. It may seem that I'm somehow damaged by all this and "just mad at god" Ugh, it's so exhausting to keep explaining that I can't be mad at something that doesn't exist. But man, life without religion and the residual effects of it not being a thing anymore? I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get the images, the sounds, the smells, the hammered teachings and hypocrites out of my head. But I'm trying like hell.

Can't argue with that.
Good post ...and from a former 'tongue-speaker' (if only technically one word!) . . .thanks!

The girl spinning around in a circle on one leg for hours raised a hilarious picture and certainly got a smile from me.

Old 12-04-2022, 01:55 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is just a label for "Christians who speak in tongues" basically. If they practiced the truly miraculous speaking in human languages they didn't have to learn then that would just become part of the label. As I mentioned, a charismatic pastor admitted to me that without the baptism in the holy spirit as an experience separate from salvation and evidenced by speaking in tongues, they wouldn't BE charismatics. So I don't see anything suspicious about it.

If what you're getting at is that a "true" gift of tongues would be universal, like more prosaic things such as the "gift of hospitality", and it wouldn't be concentrated in one sub-group (there isn't a Church of Hospitality or a concept of Hospitable Christians) -- well, their explanation for that is similar to what Mormons and JWs and to an extent fundamentalists see themselves as -- as reformists within a moribund Christianity, trying to restore something that was lost along the way.
Ironic that JWs and Mormons don’t speak in tongues though.
But yeah, this Baptism by the Holy Spirit, seems to be a big thing in these Pentecostal and charismatic groups.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:19 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:

Can't argue with that.
Breaks my heart to think about so many children who are raised to experience and even participate in this sort of thing, and then too rather concerning how many of those children continue to promote the same sort of thing into adulthood. Taking more victims from the next generation...

Old 12-04-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Good post ...and from a former 'tongue-speaker' (if only technically one word!) . . .thanks!

The girl spinning around in a circle on one leg for hours raised a hilarious picture and certainly got a smile from me.
LOL it is so ridiculous that I can't help from seeing it as sad, and a little funny, and I do try to portray it with some lightheartedness because it can keep you in a dark place. It's hard to cut the cords but not impossible. I'm like you though, I'd like to hear from current tongue-speakers or former, either one.

My Aunt (married to my Preacher Uncle) told me one time that she sings, worships and speaks in tongues all day, everyday. So if tongues are not to be spoken except when someone is there to interpret, how was she able to do that? She wasn't. Complete gibberish.

I have to say though, they make it look like it's real, especially when someone IS there to interpret. That particular thing still puzzles me but then again, the elders in the church were well versed in scripture and that's mostly how they "interpreted"....by reciting scripture. Supposedly the speaker of tongues and the interpreter are connected spiritually through the holy ghost. Someone would break out the tongue-speaking in the middle of church service, wait for it, then someone else in the congregation stands up and interprets.

It is a strange thing to do and even though I grew up seeing and hearing it I do not, nor have I ever, understood the purpose of it other than to prove the holy spirit exists.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Breaks my heart to think about so many children who are raised to experience and even participate in this sort of thing, and then too rather concerning how many of those children continue to promote the same sort of thing into adulthood. Taking more victims from the next generation...
It is very sad and disturbing. I was one of those who pushed my Christianity on people and I feel really dumb for doing that now. It does continue to be promoted in certain cults (churches) but I do believe it may be going the way of dinosaurs.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:10 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
It is very sad and disturbing. I was one of those who pushed my Christianity on people and I feel really dumb for doing that now. It does continue to be promoted in certain cults (churches) but I do believe it may be going the way of dinosaurs.
Well per this link, "pentecostalism is believed to be the fastest growing religious movement in the world".

It appears to have moved from a primarily underclass / southern thing to be more adopted by the middle class. Or what is left of the middle class anyway.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/editi...sec=frontcover

Old 12-04-2022, 09:39 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
I have often laughed about my best friend in high school...really close friend...who essentially proselytized to me to the extent he convinced me to convert from methodism to catholicism. And then, as often happens, with college and moving for jobs we weren't in contact for years. I finally looked him up on line and then called him. He didn't want to talk about old times or family or catching up with what we were 'now' doing. He wanted to proselytize regarding being 'born again'...said that he was all wrong about catholicism all those years. He was aghast when I said I was Buddhist and literally said if I wouldn't become 'born again' that we couldn't be friends. I pointed out that he was -- by his own admission -- wrong once...why would I listen again. The phone clicked. And thank Buddha that it did!

Old 12-04-2022, 12:06 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well per this link, "pentecostalism is believed to be the fastest growing religious movement in the world".

It appears to have moved from a primarily underclass / southern thing to be more adopted by the middle class. Or what is left of the middle class anyway.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/editi...sec=frontcover
the link above is for an advertisement for a book.
a publisher's press release, advertisement, or book jacket trying to sell a book, are hardly unbiased data sources.

in fact, here is an article on precisely that, How Some Pentecostals Misrepresent Their Global Size
And the Truth about How Many Pentecostals there are in the World

"Many people who describe how many Pentecostals there are in the world today are thinking only of the first group (Classical Pentecostals). Since they don’t realize that the 600 million includes many other types of Christians, they unintentionally misrepresent the global size of denominational Pentecostals."

when someone uses actual credible data sources (such as Pew Research), which are more reliable and credible than someone selling a product, or pushing an agenda, or unable to discern and evaluate, then data clearly shows: Islam is the world’s fastest growing religion and Muslims are the fastest-growing religious group in the world.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-04-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality