Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2022, 07:25 PM

3,739 posts, read 2,947,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well per this link, "pentecostalism is believed to be the fastest growing religious movement in the world".

It appears to have moved from a primarily underclass / southern thing to be more adopted by the middle class. Or what is left of the middle class anyway.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/editi...sec=frontcover
Many of the “converts” from Catholicism, in places like the Phillipines and Latin America, tend to gravitate towards Pentecostal Evangelical groups.
Not sure why that is the case, but I have noted it, as I have an interest in classifications and denominations of Christianity. (although it’s generally easier to convert a “religious person” like a Catholic to another brand of Christianity, than a hardcore atheist)
They also tend to be amongst the most vocal against the Catholic Church too, on social media platforms etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 07:34 PM

21,860 posts, read 19,012,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Many of the “converts” from Catholicism, in places like the Phillipines and Latin America, tend to gravitate towards Pentecostal Evangelical groups.
Not sure why that is the case, but I have noted it, as I have an interest in classifications and denominations of Christianity. (although it’s generally easier to convert a “religious person” like a Catholic to another brand of Christianity, than a hardcore atheist)
They also tend to be amongst the most vocal against the Catholic Church too, on social media platforms etc.
There are Catholic charismatics which have Pentecostal practices. They are within Catholiciism.

"In 1997 on the occasion of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal’s thirtieth anniversary we, the U.S. Bishops’ Ad Hoc Committee on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, want to affirm again all those Catholics involved in this movement of the Holy Spirit in our day. We, likewise, ‘encourage them in their efforts to renew the life of the Church. We say again, with great thanksgiving and enthusiasm, that in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and in the grace of baptism in the Holy Spirit we see God’s outpouring of a new Pentecost. At the core of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal is the “grace of Pentecost” also known as baptism in the Holy Spirit."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-04-2022 at 08:19 PM..

Old 12-04-2022, 09:26 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,744,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well per this link, "pentecostalism is believed to be the fastest growing religious movement in the world".

It appears to have moved from a primarily underclass / southern thing to be more adopted by the middle class. Or what is left of the middle class anyway.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/editi...sec=frontcover
That's interesting, I just assumed it was on the decline everywhere since it's not as prevalent in the South any longer. Not that it isn't still a thing, it just isn't so overwhelmingly present. Those Northern heathens have moved in and taken over so I'm not surprised they have been infiltrating our churches with science lies.

Huh, middle class? Since they are in the majority now, that means the study is wrong.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:30 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,744,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have often laughed about my best friend in high school...really close friend...who essentially proselytized to me to the extent he convinced me to convert from methodism to catholicism. And then, as often happens, with college and moving for jobs we weren't in contact for years. I finally looked him up on line and then called him. He didn't want to talk about old times or family or catching up with what we were 'now' doing. He wanted to proselytize regarding being 'born again'...said that he was all wrong about catholicism all those years. He was aghast when I said I was Buddhist and literally said if I wouldn't become 'born again' that we couldn't be friends. I pointed out that he was -- by his own admission -- wrong once...why would I listen again. The phone clicked. And thank Buddha that it did!
LOL that dang Pentecostal persistence finally paid off! Whew, thank Buddha is right.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:09 PM

23,860 posts, read 32,125,181 times
I can't explain it but it happened to me. I wasn't going to a church at the time. I was speaking in tongues intermittently all day. I could speak English when needed, but the minute I prayed, tongues came out.

I checked the calendar for some reason, and it was Pentecost Sunday. I don't know why it happened and just as fast as it began, it ended.

Full Gosper pastors often speak in tongues that sound similar. Something like "Show SHANDALA! Shonda... praise JESUS fondonallala may malla" Something like that.

When the now scandal ridden Massapequa Tabernacle was at it's peak, and Gene Profeta was pastor, a few friends and I decided to see what was going on down there. He went up and down the aisles, speaking in tongues. When he touched my forehead, I resisted. He pushed a friend of mine also.

What a fraud. This is the one who had Jessica Hahn as his babysitter. We went before the scandal with Jim Baker.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:16 AM

3,739 posts, read 2,947,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
There are Catholic charismatics which have Pentecostal practices. They are within Catholiciism.

"In 1997 on the occasion of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal’s thirtieth anniversary we, the U.S. Bishops’ Ad Hoc Committee on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, want to affirm again all those Catholics involved in this movement of the Holy Spirit in our day. We, likewise, ‘encourage them in their efforts to renew the life of the Church. We say again, with great thanksgiving and enthusiasm, that in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and in the grace of baptism in the Holy Spirit we see God’s outpouring of a new Pentecost. At the core of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal is the “grace of Pentecost” also known as baptism in the Holy Spirit."
Yes you are right.
Not sure how active this group are though, at least in stopping some of the defections to Pentecostal groups.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,186,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Full Gospel pastors often speak in tongues that sound similar. Something like "Show SHANDALA! Shonda... praise JESUS fondonallala may malla" Something like that.
Funny, I've never had an 'L" or a ''B'' form in my mouth when praying in tongues.
It was another thing that kinda proved to me ..."Um. I'm not doin this"

Shh, I kinda actually 'tried' a little to insert an ''L or B"....cuz I heard it was so common...(thus was being made fun of on a youtube).

But, it just would not happen!!! Weird stuff.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:30 PM

29,335 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
LoLololol...cuz, man, after meditating for 49 years often 3- 6 hours a sitting ---if
it has not happened yet ...''forgetaboutit''...it's apparently not what I'm needing!!
Valid question .
3 to 6 hours a sitting for 49 years? I can't even imagine...

Old 12-05-2022, 12:35 PM

29,335 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, you can think what you wish...I have no association with any Church since maybe late 2010...still plenty of 'things', let's call them, occur.
I can also say until I felt the Holy Spirit I did not know what the heck anyone was really saying.
I'm certainly not here to defend my exp...but, thought I would say a bit of a counter, more to other readers.
I don't believe in miracles, per se... just things happen that many don't understand
so they think they are supernatural ...yet, they're very natural.
Needless to say, we've all got little choice but to think what we wish, but that aside...

It has been my experience that people who are inclined to claim such experience and/or share such beliefs always seem far more likely to continue experiencing such things. Feeling such things, and as such it's hard for me not to believe that these experiences, feelings and sensations are not largely a function of how people tend to be inclined along these lines. Either way, all of it a function of what goes on between the ears, and because what goes on between the ears can be very different from one person to the next, we end up with all variety of what happens as a result. All variety of interpretation as well.

All very natural from the standpoint of human nature. Nothing supernatural anyway...

Old 12-05-2022, 12:46 PM

50,119 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
3 to 6 hours a sitting for 49 years? I can't even imagine...
So much could have been done with that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality