Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2022, 09:12 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know, right? You reach a stillness most have never exp'd...ha, a thought comes in ,"Oh, I'm hardly breathing."
After sitting in stillness about the 3rd hour...oh my, do 'things' happen! (Glorious things.)
I think I'd rather just get high...

Did you know...?

What happens in the brain of meditators when perception changes but not the stimulus?

During the observation of an ambiguous figure our perception alternates between mutually exclusive interpretations, although the stimulus itself remains unchanged. The rate of these endogenous reversals has been discussed as reflecting basic aspects of endogenous brain dynamics. Recent evidence indicates that extensive meditation practice evokes long-term functional and anatomic changes in the brain, also affecting the endogenous brain dynamics. As one of several consequences the rate of perceptual reversals during ambiguous figure perception decreases. In the present study we compared EEG-correlates of endogenous reversals of ambiguous figures between meditators and non-meditating controls in order to better understand timing and brain locations of this altered endogenous brain dynamics. A well-established EEG paradigm was used to measure the neural processes underlying endogenous perceptual reversals of ambiguous figures with high temporal precision. We compared reversal-related ERPs between experienced meditators and non-meditating controls. For both groups we found highly similar chains of reversal-related ERPs, starting early in visual areas, therewith replicating previous findings from the literature. Meditators, however, showed an additional frontal ERP signature already 160 ms after stimulus onset (Frontal Negativity). We interpret the additional, meditation-specific ERP results as evidence that extensive meditation practice provides control of frontal brain areas over early sensory processing steps. This may allow meditators to overcome phylogenetically evolved perceptual and attentional processing automatisms.

During observation of an ambiguous figure, like the famous Necker cube [1], our perception becomes unstable and reverses spontaneously between mutually exclusive interpretations (Fig 1). We can volitionally control this perceptual dynamics to some degree but we cannot prevent reversals entirely [2–4]. The phenomenon of multistable perception occurs with stimuli from very different visual “categories”, like 3D perception (Necker cube), perception of motion (e.g. the stroboscopic alternative motion stimulus, [5]), during the segregation of figure and ground (e.g. the Vase-Face figure, [6]) or during binocular rivalry, i.e. when the two eyes see different images (e.g. [7,8]). Multistable perception exists also in other modalities like audition [9,10] or touch [11–13].

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6812751/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 09:13 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was thinking more like volunteer work. Helping others.
Yellowstone is actually a pretty good show.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
I think we all knew what you were implying.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:49 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think I'd rather just get high...
Ya got anything?

Old 12-06-2022, 05:21 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
Y'know, not everyone is cut out to help the needy. Some are destined for other things, so it is good not to get hung-up on everyone should help the needy perhaps? It would possibly lead to 'some are more godly than others' which is rather a judgemental position.

I am sure there are plenty of monks and nuns all doing their bit in caves and monestries across the world, yet they are not interacting with the outside world at all.

I am not understanding any of that scientific jargon in LearnMe's post. Can anyone explain in language a non-scientist can understand please?

Old 12-06-2022, 07:19 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Here is a short video clip of an atheist 'speaking in tongues':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXW5ioxXUY

Rule of thumb, if it CAN be faked then we need to err on the side of caution and conclude that IT IS likely fake.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:20 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12
I have. And it happened to me. ALONE ..

Once you have heard demonic tongues at a deliverance, you never forget that sound.
Quote:
Me too, in the car and it continues while I'm alone.
Fascinating, I have never heard of demonic tongues...and glad I haven't; I don't open to those kinds of things.
But, here I am I actually wrote the word out!
Loved your post, all the speculations and opinions are not my cup of tea...outsiders lookin' on,

while Richard Dreyfus went up into the space ship...that's the guy to talk to.
Your posts concerning your alleged 'tongue-speaking' come across more like that of a giddy child, Miss Hepburn. Do you claim that this phenomenon is due to an infilling of the Holy Spirit? I don't think you've ever offered an explanation as to why you do what you claim to do.

How would you know whether or not your alleged 'tongue-speaking' isn't demonic? How would you know that you're not suffering from some medical malady that as yet has no official name? Just WHAT is your alleged 'tongue-speaking' accomplishing other than making you feel giddy, i.e., becoming excited to the point of disorientation? What are we (those to whom you're sharing this information) supposed to take from this?

A number of years ago I was asked to take in a person for several months who suffered from schizophrenia. For various reasons I couldn't say no. He was on a daily medication regime. And, in his lucid moments he was fine, at other times his behavior was rather disturbing. When he would say, "I'm beginning to lose touch with reality" I knew it was time to leave the scene. Poor guy, this wasn't his fault, but I was relieved when he left.

Anyway, "Max" believed that those who 'spoke in tongues', in fact many of the Christians he had previously had dealings with, displayed signs of schizophrenia or they were otherwise mentally deranged at some level. This 'diagnosis' was certainly not scientific, but rather came from the mouth of an actual schizophrenic person. He claimed to be able to recognize another schizophrenic person within a few minutes of meeting them.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that there is likely some level of mental issue taking place whenever someone spontaneously breaks out in what is none other than babble. And, 'babble' IS what is occurring whenever unintelligible sounds - whether in public or in private - are being uttered by someone.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:33 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I know, right? You reach a stillness most have never exp'd...ha, a thought comes in ,"Oh, I'm hardly breathing."
After sitting in stillness about the 3rd hour...oh my, do 'things' happen! (Glorious things.)
I probably missed it.

What languages?

Old 12-06-2022, 08:51 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Yeah, but c'mon. I mean, Rip is HOT.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:01 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
As a complete outsider of this, (since my childhood church did not have this phenomena) my understanding of it is that, it is the Holy Spirit filling the person and causing them to express themselves in sounds without any limitation.

Someone looking at this phenomena for the first time might think it is just a babble of sound, but is there any meaning in it for others?
What is the point of it?
What can be gained from a Speaking in Tongues event?
What can the person doing the Speaking expect from the other members of the church?
Is it a special even which is talked about in the church for weeks afterwards? Does it make a kind-of celebrity?
Hysteria? Attention seekers? Crazy people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality