Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2022, 08:03 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times

Advertisements

There is a strong desire - not just within Pentecostal circles but within society in general - to have, to even crave, that 'special thing' that someone else has. Moreover, the tendency for people's behavior or people's beliefs to conform to those of the group to which they belong is very strong. This is known as 'herd mentality'. How many of you purchase an item that is endorsed on TV by a celebrity simply because that celebrity claims to use it?

I know for a fact that the desire to 'speak in tongues' IS something that many charismatic people long for. In fact, those that are not blessed with this 'gift' are often envious of those who have or appear to be blessed with the gift. And many of them will attempt to acquire this gift (some gift if it has to be sought after!) by whatever means possible. Yes, 'tongues' can be - and often IS - taught within charismatic circles. And, once it happens and takes hold it will likely continue to fill the person with positive dopamine and act rather like a drug. 'Speaking in tongues' very often becomes yet another human addiction.

That this entire practice of 'charismatic tongues' came about through a gross misinterpretation of scripture - i.e., a text in 1 Corinthians intended as hyperbole by Paul when referring to 'tongues of angels' - is an example of how the blind can be so easily led by the blind.

There is NOTHING 'supernatural' about 'Pentecostal 'tongues'. It can all be explained away scientifically ...or, even with the use of a bit of common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 08:11 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We so need / want to "fit in" and so fear "missing out" that we will do some truly weird stuff rather than be an outlier.
There's a little bit of Homer in all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eox1ogr3SE

Old 12-09-2022, 02:42 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
There's a little bit of Homer in all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eox1ogr3SE
Here's a real-life example of your 'there's a little bit of Homer is in all of us" remark. It's not 'tongues' but it's all a part of the same kind of mad-house scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-7px5Xyzlg

Old 12-09-2022, 08:45 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well the original post asked, "can anyone explain speaking in tongues" -- not "can anyone free-associate about speaking in tongues". Discarnate souls talking to each other, angels talking to humans -- these aren't explanations. They are flights of fancy thinly disguised as empty assertions.
Not so thinly disguised if you ask me...

Old 12-09-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
they are explanations.
and good ones at that.

because they acknowledge other dimensions.
think of chess and 3-D chess, where multiple boards are stacked. if all someone knows is regular chess, and only watches the single game at the bottom level, then they will object that it doesn't make sense and does not follow the rules of chess.

however it does make perfect sense when the additional dimensions are taken into account.
same with regular speaking, and speaking which operates across other dimensions.
I can understand 3-D chess and/or how it is explained...

If someone suggests they can play 3-D chess with only a one-dimensional chess board and chess pieces, I begin to suspect a game being played of a different sort. An imaginary game of sorts.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There us no supernatural! That is Learnme's way of dismissing what he does not want to consider part of his reality!
Really? There are many people who will argue with you about there being no such thing as the supernatural...

So here it seems you want to agree with me by "dismissing" the same thing, but at the same time suggesting there is anything about any of this I'm not willing or wanting to consider.

Seems more like you wanting to dismiss what I have explained about all this too many times to count now. All there is to consider that suggests you are the one going beyond the bounds of reality. Hard for me to dismiss science anyway. What science has been able to confirm for us vs whatever any other Tom, Dick or Harry wants to claim to the contrary. Plenty claims regarding the supernatural included!

Old 12-09-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
There is a strong desire - not just within Pentecostal circles but within society in general - to have, to even crave, that 'special thing' that someone else has. Moreover, the tendency for people's behavior or people's beliefs to conform to those of the group to which they belong is very strong. This is known as 'herd mentality'. How many of you purchase an item that is endorsed on TV by a celebrity simply because that celebrity claims to use it?

I know for a fact that the desire to 'speak in tongues' IS something that many charismatic people long for. In fact, those that are not blessed with this 'gift' are often envious of those who have or appear to be blessed with the gift. And many of them will attempt to acquire this gift (some gift if it has to be sought after!) by whatever means possible. Yes, 'tongues' can be - and often IS - taught within charismatic circles. And, once it happens and takes hold it will likely continue to fill the person with positive dopamine and act rather like a drug. 'Speaking in tongues' very often becomes yet another human addiction.

That this entire practice of 'charismatic tongues' came about through a gross misinterpretation of scripture - i.e., a text in 1 Corinthians intended as hyperbole by Paul when referring to 'tongues of angels' - is an example of how the blind can be so easily led by the blind.

There is NOTHING 'supernatural' about 'Pentecostal 'tongues'. It can all be explained away scientifically ...or, even with the use of a bit of common sense.
Sure seems to me that people speaking in tongues are speaking with forked tongues.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's not a fair statement. Millions of people use the term "supernatural". It's not just Learnme.
Yet another fact you would think would not need explaining, but in this forum there's no end to what confusion and/or twisted logic needs fixing. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-09-2022, 10:25 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sure seems to me that people speaking in tongues are speaking with forked tongues.
I definitely agree about the phenomenon as practiced and believed today, but it is not so much deliberate lying by most, just some. Others simply are sincerely trying to relate to God and His Holy Spirit. Regrettably, they have been misled and misguided about what the Holy Spirit actually is, IMO. We all have the ability to be in the states of mind associated with God's Holy Spirit. When we are, we can make judgments and decisions that would reflect what God actually wants from us, again IMO. But as practiced and believed today, it is hokum. Few actually know what the Holy Spirit is, again, IMO.

Old 12-09-2022, 10:29 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There us no supernatural! That is Learnme's way of dismissing what he does not want to consider part of his reality!
Irony is you accusing LM of doing what you are doing, dismissing what you do not want to consider part of your reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality