Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2022, 10:23 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My favorite FSM joke....

The Flying Spaghetti Monster...

He shed his sauce for your sins.
Praise his noodly goodness brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 11:51 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Right. Things that are not broken don't need "fixing".
So...efforts to that effect will be similar to spitting into a strong wind. Something you all do regularly.

Again...as per the OP: The Atheist Religion belongs here, along with all the other Theological and Spiritual views.
And you all represent it and proselytize it very well. Good on ya!
I would not have made the comment about trying to fix something that needs fixing if there was nothing to fix, but for just about any reasonably intelligent person, the attempt to define atheism as a religion definitely needs fixing. As in the need to correct a wrong, although there is no point making the effort when someone can't recognize right from wrong. About this too, I think we all know the game...

If anyone insists on making ridiculous claims or describing something in ways that are not appropriate given the common dictionary definition of words, there is really nothing that can keep them from doing so. It is everyone's right to be as dumb, obstinate and unreasonable as they wanna be after all. Like what is religion and what is not. What is atheism. Most intelligent people recognize these things for what they actually are. Able to make these simple distinctions without bias or to push an agenda.

You wanna claim the earth is flat? Over and over and over again? Same sort of thing. Your prerogative of course, and just as no one can stop you, you can't keep others from judging you and that sort of nonsense for what it is.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My favorite FSM joke....

The Flying Spaghetti Monster...

He shed his sauce for your sins.
Thanks for the chuckle! Hadn't heard that one before...

Old 12-05-2022, 12:05 PM

50,808 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I would not have made the comment about trying to fix something that needs fixing if there was nothing to fix, but for just about any reasonably intelligent person, the attempt to define atheism as a religion definitely needs fixing. As in the need to correct a wrong, although there is no point making the effort when someone can't recognize right from wrong. About this too, I think we all know the game...

If anyone insists on making ridiculous claims or describing something in ways that are not appropriate given the common dictionary definition of words, there is really nothing that can keep them from doing so. It is everyone's right to be as dumb, obstinate and unreasonable as they wanna be after all. Like what is religion and what is not. What is atheism. Most intelligent people recognize these things for what they actually are. Able to make these simple distinctions without bias or to push an agenda.

You wanna claim the earth is flat? Over and over and over again? Same sort of thing. Your prerogative of course, and just as no one can stop you, you can't keep others from judging you and that sort of nonsense for what it is.
Well stated.

There's the personal way that 'we' sometimes like to use to define terms...particularly concepts 'we' may not like. And then there are the real definitions of terms that is the basis for real communication.

It all sort of works out in the long run, because, as you seem to be indicating, we know 'the why' of why some people want to abuse language constraints. And often, it's fear and/or a desire to have to have things their way.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well stated.

There's the personal way that 'we' sometimes like to use to define terms...particularly concepts 'we' may not like. And then there are the real definitions of terms that is the basis for real communication.

It all sort of works out in the long run, because, as you seem to be indicating, we know 'the why' of why some people want to abuse language constraints. And often, it's fear and/or a desire to have to have things their way.
Right. Recognize the agenda and all else becomes quite easy to expect. Over and over and over again...

Old 12-05-2022, 03:43 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

You keep claiming my view is "wrong"...but that is just your subjective view.
There is no "fixing" my view...it is what it is.
I have supporting evidence...and there are those that concur: https://www.city-data.com/forum/63706949-post348.html ...so, cool it with the ad hominem ("dumb, obstinate and unreasonable"...comparisons to "flat Earth", etc) stuff.
I recognize things for what they actually are, to me, given my best assessment.
As per "The Dictionary"...it is defined (among other meanings) as both a "doctrine" and a belief position relative to God(s)...indicative of a Religion.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/atheism
So.....

Old 12-06-2022, 07:00 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You keep claiming my view is "wrong"...but that is just your subjective view.
There is no "fixing" my view...it is what it is.
I have supporting evidence...and there are those that concur: https://www.city-data.com/forum/63706949-post348.html ...so, cool it with the ad hominem ("dumb, obstinate and unreasonable"...comparisons to "flat Earth", etc) stuff.

Of course cb2008 agrees with you. That's not evidence. It's opinion as well. As well you know.
I could easily argue 6 out of 7 of those statements as false.
As for statement #7 I don't know who has claimed that stating something is a religion is persecution. If someone has then I disagree.

Quote:
I recognize things for what they actually are, to me, given my best assessment.
As per "The Dictionary"...it is defined (among other meanings) as both a "doctrine" and a belief position relative to God(s)...indicative of a Religion.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/atheism
So.....
Your linked dictionary definition doesn't say anything about atheism being a religion.

I don't know what the point is of arguing that atheism is a religion.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:05 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Because religion is stupid, therefore atheism must be stupid, except atheism is not a religion, therefore Goldie has just mocked, bashed and insulted religion.

It is called friendly fire.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Of course cb2008 agrees with you. That's not evidence. It's opinion as well. As well you know.
I could easily argue 6 out of 7 of those statements as false.
As for statement #7 I don't know who has claimed that stating something is a religion is persecution. If someone has then I disagree.

Your linked dictionary definition doesn't say anything about atheism being a religion.

Yet another notion that needs fixing is how any facts or truths can be simply dismissed as opinion, but yes of course I am expressing my opinion here. Just like everyone else, but also of course there are opinions well justified by facts and truth and then there are opinions that can't be justified in any similar manner. Yes, it is my opinion that atheism is not a religion. Anyone can argue otherwise or simply insist this is just my opinion, but is it? The fact and truth of the matter is that atheism is not a religion if/when we all agree to use the common dictionary definitions and/or understanding most reasonable people are able to distinguish in a mature, intelligent and unbiased manner.

The point of arguing otherwise is as also explained before by other people in this thread as well. The effort is to suggest that atheism is similar if not equal to religion in all the ways that religion is flawed or criticized. The agenda is to defend religion no matter how legitimate the criticism(s) may be.

Something like the old strategy of defending an opinion that can't be defended; "Admit nothing. Deny everything and make counter-allegations."

Old 12-06-2022, 09:30 AM

This has been posted before, but since there is the ongoing effort to blur the lines between what is atheism and what is a religion, perhaps the following that describes atheism will also help to "fix" what needs fixing here. The following sound like religion to you?

I believe in a purely material universe that conforms to naturalistic laws and principles.

I believe that the life we have is the only one we will have, that the mind and consciousness are inseparable from the brain, that we cease to exist in any conscious form when we die, and that it is therefore incumbent on us to enable each person to live their one life to the fullest.

I believe in the power of science and reason and rationality to further deepen our understanding of everything around us and to eventually overcome superstition and erase the petty divisions sown by religion, race, ethnicity, and nationality.

I am in awe of the beauty, vastness, and complexity of nature and the universe, and the fact that all arose purely by the working of natural laws.

I believe in the power of ideals such as peace and justice and shared humanity to inspire us to create a free and just world.

I believe in kindness, love, and the human spirit and their ability to overcome challenges and adversity and to create a better world.

I believe in the necessity for credible and objective evidence to sustain any belief and thus deny, because of the absence of such evidence, the existence of each and every aspect of the supernatural.

I refuse to bow, prostrate myself, or otherwise cower before the deities of any religion.

I am neither tempted by the fiction of heaven or any other form of eternal life nor fearful of the fiction of hell.

I choose to live the dignified and exhilarating life of a free-thinker, able to go wherever knowledge and curiosity takes me, without fear of contradicting any dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality