Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2022, 12:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,149,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That post speaks for itself.
Speaks what? E.g. that may have bad eye sight or fat fingers or?
Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 12:18 PM

50,084 posts, read 23,749,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If you believe "there is something after death," there is many a definition of atheism and many an atheist that might argue you are not actually an atheist at all. Not to believe in a god is not the only criteria or definition of atheism according to many an atheist that is. As such, I'm not sure how well you can speak for other atheists. Or all Buddhists for that matter. Some of whom also don't believe "there is something after death." You certainly don't speak for me in this regard either, but of course there are all kinds of "derivatives" with respect to what people believe or claim to be that makes it hard if not impossible to argue either way.

Religious people who claim they are spiritual. Spiritual people who claim religious people are not. Atheists who claim to be spiritual and so on. It can get a little confusing sometimes. Ultimately, I guess we can all claim whatever we want to claim. That's for sure when it comes to this forum...
This time I find your post a little confusing, particularly the first paragraph. Are you speaking to what I posted or what the other poster posted?

But getting down to what I bolded, I think there are two different kinds of posters on this religion-spirituality forum.

I'm one type (and I think you fit here, too): I have certain BELIEFS. I BELIEVE in the overall wisdom found in Buddhism. I BELIEVE in the possibility/probability of past lives, which means I also BELIEVE in the possibility/probability of reincarnation/rebirth. I don't believe in god. I don't believe in key stories in the Old Testament or even much of the New Testament (although that's not saying there's not any valid wisdom there). I capitalized BELIEFS and BELIEVE for a reason. I fully admit that those are just my beliefs. I offer no evidence that should be taken as fact by anyone else. I have no desire for anyone else to become Buddhist. And I fully realize that what's good enough for me in terms of evidence is just that...good enough for me...but not good enough to present as a fact(s).

The other type of person here (and frankly an awfully lot of christians) is that they know what they believe and assume it is therefore factual. They don't care about conclusive or even strong evidence. They wanna believe that Jesus walked on water. They have no substantial evidence. But since they believe it, to them it's fact. They're welcome to that kind of fact. And they're also welcome to keep it to themselves.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:21 PM

10,481 posts, read 6,089,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Most atheists are between organized religions, looking to satisfy natural human religion of by intuition knowing that God is real just having problem accepting man made rules of irganized religions...

So many oddities all in one small sentence.

What is 'natural human religion'. As opposed to what? Unnatural human religion? Natural inhuman religion? You can just say 'religion'. It covers all your bases.

'Of by intuition?'

'irganized religion'.

'Between organized religions'. What does this mean? That we are taking a break between religions? Which religions would they be in your great wisdom?

What a load of nonsense.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Why not? I made a sammary in my mynd, do you have one?

Is English your first language? Just curious?

Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 PM

477 posts, read 119,373 times
Quote:
Again no...

The probability anyone will get hit by a car on their way to work is NOT 50/50!

If that were true, nobody would go to work!

Or imagine if the same question were asked about whether your plane will go down on your next trip. If the odds were 50/50, end of air travel!

Never knew there could be this level of confusion about probabilities!

Exactly my point! You just did not catch my sarcasm or did not read the post till the end.

And the probability that there is consciousness after death is not 50/50, b/c the approach itself - if we do know something and something is either yes or no then probability of something is 50/50 - is so nonsensical and ridiculous, it is not even funny.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:24 PM

15,791 posts, read 6,190,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

What is 'natural human religion'. As opposed to what? Unnatural human religion? Natural inhuman religion? You can just say 'religion'. It covers all your bases.

'Of by intuition?'

'irganized religion'.

'Between organized religions'. What does this mean? That we are taking a break between religions? Which religions would they be in your great wisdom?

What a load of nonsense.

I read him to mean atheist have a need for connection as well. It's a human need to be connected. Even the Bible says the way we connect is the proper way. We connect through art, our family, our friends. We just skip the religion part of it.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Say what?!?

I had a similar response. Yours is more concise.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:26 PM

16,575 posts, read 4,856,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
There is a granularity even in this one.
Some modern science now indicates that our heart contains the same exact neurons that our brain is made with, so the heart may just have a brain of it's own.
Control neurons, not thinking neurons.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:29 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,149,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

'Of by intuition?'

'irganized religion'.

What a load of nonsense.

Also, i see a lot of ignorance. 'Natural human religion' is something that built in in human consciousness, part of human essense and experience. It may or not fit into 'created' by humans religion. I think a manifestation of natural human reigion may be shamanism.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:29 PM

29,339 posts, read 9,484,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This time I find your post a little confusing, particularly the first paragraph. Are you speaking to what I posted or what the other poster posted?

But getting down to what I bolded, I think there are two different kinds of posters on this religion-spirituality forum.

I'm one type (and I think you fit here, too): I have certain BELIEFS. I BELIEVE in the overall wisdom found in Buddhism. I BELIEVE in the possibility/probability of past lives, which means I also BELIEVE in the possibility/probability of reincarnation/rebirth. I don't believe in god. I don't believe in key stories in the Old Testament or even much of the New Testament (although that's not saying there's not any valid wisdom there). I capitalized BELIEFS and BELIEVE for a reason. I fully admit that those are just my beliefs. I offer no evidence that should be taken as fact by anyone else. I have no desire for anyone else to become Buddhist. And I fully realize that what's good enough for me in terms of evidence is just that...good enough for me...but not good enough to present as a fact(s).

The other type of person here (and frankly an awfully lot of christians) is that they know what they believe and assume it is therefore factual. They don't care about conclusive or even strong evidence. They wanna believe that Jesus walked on water. They have no substantial evidence. But since they believe it, to them it's fact. They're welcome to that kind of fact. And they're also welcome to keep it to themselves.
Sorry...

You wrote somewhere before, unless I am mistaken, that you believe "there is something after death." It's your belief about that I was referring to, and how that's not a typical belief among atheists far as I know...

As for all the rest, I can at least readily agree that I too care about conclusive and strong evidence, but to the extent any exists with respect to past lives, reincarnation or rebirth, I am aware of none. Not sure we agree about the probabilities either, so to what extent we are the same or different along these lines is not clear to me. Doesn't seem we're all that much alike in this regard. Or how you are different with respect to your confidence about your beliefs that don't seem based on conclusive or strong evidence, I don't know, but doesn't seem all that different to me.

Perhaps something you can help me better understand when I return perhaps again tomorrow. Until then here's to our present life and making the most of it, because I don't think the odds are at all good we'll have another one to enjoy afterward. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality