Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-10-2023, 04:29 PM
 
427 posts, read 130,457 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
When my wife and I got married, I asked my father to be my best man. In part to avoid having to pick one of my four good friends who made up the rest of my side of the wedding party. At our reception my father made a toast, and I'll never forget what he said...

He said to everyone at the wedding that if anything happened between my wife and me, my parents would take my wife.

You know that making a confession won't get you a place in Heaven. Unfortunately, public debasement is the atheist fashion of the day to seek absolution and get a pass from the mob coming after you.


Your father knows you. And your four good friends were a type like Miles, in the movie Sideways, who would spend your bachelor week, before the wedding, with you prowling the Californian wine country for a sexual fling before settling down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2023, 04:38 PM
 
16,183 posts, read 7,154,494 times
Reputation: 8658
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

What the goat knows about falling off mountain sides is because of gravity, whether they know about it or not, and either way the burden is to maintain sure footing. ...
One can say the same thing about Divinity, it exists whether one knows about it or not, theist, agnostic, or atheist, the burden is to maintain a sure footing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2023, 04:42 PM
 
16,183 posts, read 7,154,494 times
Reputation: 8658
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've got countless songs in my music library that attempt to answer this question...
Let us know when they have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2023, 04:47 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
9,416 posts, read 13,081,091 times
Reputation: 6208
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
You know that making a confession won't get you a place in Heaven. Unfortunately, public debasement is the atheist fashion of the day to seek absolution and get a pass from the mob coming after you.


Your father knows you. And your four good friends were a type like Miles, in the movie Sideways, who would spend your bachelor week, before the wedding, with you prowling the Californian wine country for a sexual fling before settling down.
As much as I appreciate a good Sideways reference, you lost me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2023, 06:16 PM
 
1,514 posts, read 492,906 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Sorry, but you’re wrong. I would fall out of love with my wife if she turned out to be unfaithful, or became abusive, or did any number of other bad things that are inconsistent with my vision of who a good friend, partner, and parent to our child should be. If I did those same bad things to her, she would be well within our rights to do the same.

I wouldn’t fall out of love instantaneously. I would probably experience a period of disbelief and try to restore our relationship to its prior healthy and mutually respectful equilibrium. I would also be heartbroken and mourn the loss of the relationship. But sooner or later I would fall out of love and move on, however awful and surreal the feeling would be at the time. This is something I never expect to happen and greatly hope will never happen. But it could happen, and it would hardly defy the laws of physics if it ever did happen.

It’s called having self-respect, and setting boundaries, and knowing what you can and can’t take and do and don’t deserve in a loving relationship. You might hold yourself to different standards, which is fine for you and 100% your prerogative. But you are completely and undeniably wrong if you assert that other peoples’ vision of love is a mere transaction, or “barter,” to use your parlance.
Why did you use the word unfaithful in your post? I ask because of all the mockery over the word faith.

So, in times that you aren't present to see with your own eyes, you have faith that your wife is faithful to you. And that goes both ways.

Your post seems religious, but according to your personal view of everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2023, 06:27 PM
 
427 posts, read 130,457 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
One can say the same thing about Divinity, it exists whether one knows about it or not, theist, agnostic, or atheist, the burden is to maintain a sure footing.

Good response. You aced it.


I hope LearnMe would reflect on this. He is smart enough to see both sides of the coin. While he knows the theist's faith in Divinity is driven by the need for security, the atheist has no such excuse for committing the sin of gullibility. He is God unto himself. Is he afraid of nothingness? The mysterious void is too scary?


Emptiness is the holy grail of spirituality. A state where reason cannot go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2023, 06:31 PM
 
427 posts, read 130,457 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
As much as I appreciate a good Sideways reference, you lost me.

Let me clue you in then. LearnMe is the Jack Cole character, the quintessential atheist. He doesn't believe in God. He just wants to have a good time in this world. To hell with the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2023, 06:49 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
9,416 posts, read 13,081,091 times
Reputation: 6208
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Why did you use the word unfaithful in your post? I ask because of all the mockery over the word faith.

So, in times that you aren't present to see with your own eyes, you have faith that your wife is faithful to you. And that goes both ways.

Your post seems religious, but according to your personal view of everything.
Unfaithful is just a synonym for adultery. Don’t overthink it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2023, 07:09 PM
 
1,514 posts, read 492,906 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Unfaithful is just a synonym for adultery. Don’t overthink it.
It is funny that you apply the word overthink to me, because I view everything from the elementary level.

You were writing about love, and I wonder if you have ever experienced taking care of someone through the hardest time of their life. Where nothing is about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2023, 07:14 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
9,416 posts, read 13,081,091 times
Reputation: 6208
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
It is funny that you apply the word overthink to me, because I view everything from the elementary level.
Weird flex, but okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
You were writing about love, and I wonder if you have ever experienced taking care of someone through the hardest time of their life. Where nothing is about you.
I pitched in with caregiving when my mother slowly died of ALS in my late teens and early twenties. Any other questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:23 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top