Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2023, 10:43 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Take the natural phenomenon of falling snow I saw this morning, and the weight of the box of beer I felt as I carried it from my car. It's a natural mystery to me. I don't accept the naturalist's belief that the snow and the beer were attracted by the Earth.

Can you prove it?
Give me your best shot. I am a Civil/Structural engineer by trade. I can handle the technical argument and the math.
Can it be proven that objects are attracted by the earth, you ask? Sure. It is well known that earth's gravity is stronger in some places than at others. In places where earth's mass is greater (a greater density of rock) there is a greater amount of gravity, not much, but it is measurable. Also, altitude affects gravity. The higher the altitude the weaker the gravity. This is why an object weighs less at altitude than when on the ground. This is also why time passes at a faster rate the further away from the ground you are and more slowly the closer to the ground you are. Differences in gravity have a measurable effect on the rate at which time passes and this has been proven in experiments using two atomic clocks, one on the ground and the other at altitude.

So, yes, the earth's gravity attracts objects. When you drop something it doesn't fall up, it falls down towards the ground.

If you choose not to accept that well proven fact, that's your choice, but

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-09-2023 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 10:51 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Why don't you make discussions here interesting then? Imagine you having a dinner conversation with mordant and me here. I am Jesus. I will bring the wine. What do you say?
Red or white?

Old 01-09-2023, 10:53 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Harry wasn't insisting on anything. I don't think he knows how to cook proper.
My family owns two Greek restaurants, the original is where I learnt to cook from my Father and Grandfather.

Quote:
Butter has a low smoke point and would risk burning before the corn pops.
When one knows how to cook, the taste is worth it. But you are correct, you do have to be careful.

Old 01-09-2023, 10:54 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Machines are designed with the intellect, the tool of naturalism. It is also used for designing the universe, the existential world of naturalists.
And your evidence for this is ...?

Old 01-09-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Your observation is well taken.

The magazine was shoved into my face as the purveyor of the gospel truth. I was just shoving it back.
Hard to have the sort of discussion you were advocating by shoving crap along rather than something a bit more worthy of consideration. Just saying...

Again, you are new here, and again welcome! I'm all for promoting the better discussions, and since you are new (speaking of gospel truth), I will direct you to a thread I started some time ago that made for more of the discussion I think you might enjoy. Fairly well known by the regulars here. I called it my Ten Truths. Check it out and feel free to post your thoughts there if you like!

Old 01-09-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It was a joke.

As for smoke points, clarified butter (i.e., ghee) would work just fine.
I'm just back from the EU, and no doubt they love their butter there. Beer, wine, flemish stew, fish and chips all very popular there too...

Old 01-09-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Can it be proven that objects are attracted by the earth, you ask? Sure. It is well known that earth's gravity is stronger in some places than at others. In places where earth's mass is greater (a greater density of rock) there is a greater amount of gravity, not much, but it is measurable. Also, altitude affects gravity. The higher the altitude the weaker the gravity. This is why an object weighs less at altitude than when on the ground. This is also why time passes at a faster rate the further away from the ground you are and more slowly the closer to the ground you are. Differences in gravity have a measurable effect on the rate at which time passes and this has been proven in experiments using two atomic clocks, one on the ground and the other at altitude.

So, yes, the earth's gravity attracts objects. When you drop something it doesn't fall up, it falls down towards the ground.

If you choose not to accept that well proven fact, that's your choice, but
I really have to wonder when it seems explaining gravity is necessary in this forum...

Old 01-09-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
And your evidence for this is ...?
Written in the design manual of course!

Old 01-09-2023, 11:12 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
My family owns two Greek restaurants, the original is where I learnt to cook from my Father and Grandfather.
I don’t know if you’ve spent much time stateside, but you guys are Kings of the Great American Diner.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:13 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I really have to wonder when it seems explaining gravity is necessary in this forum...
And especially when having to explain it to someone who claims to be a structural engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality