Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2023, 11:44 PM

427 posts, read 124,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
No.

Knowledgeable, educated people don't believe that it's gravity because Newton said so.
They know that it is gravity b/c, based on what Newton said, they can make novel testable predictions.
They can predict all kinds of thing about the future nobody knows yet and they will be correct 100% of the time.

Moreover, they would be willing to bet as much as you, or any other magically thinking <<cut>> (I speak American) like you can come up with that they will be correct 100% of the time while predicting all kinds of thing about the future nobody knows yet and, at the same time, you, or any other magically thinking <<cut>> (I speak American) like you, will never be able to outperform dumb chance while trying to do the same. And that with all the help that can be gathered from any and all gods, spirits and magic.

So the question is, would you be willing to take these methodologically naturalistic bets in the name of gods, spirits and magic or what?

Is it not enough just to know that I can fall if I were to jump off the balcony and damn the reason why? Mountain goats know as much about falling off mountain sides without getting burdened with Newton's law about gravity.

The need to know was the cause of the fall of mankind, condemned to an absurd existence of Sisyphus rolling a boulder uphill by the sweat of our brow only to have it roll back down. Over and over again you roll that boulder uphill till you die. Does knowing that it is gravity that you are pushing against make you feel better?

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-10-2023 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 06:47 AM

16,583 posts, read 15,507,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Hard to have the sort of discussion you were advocating by shoving crap along rather than something a bit more worthy of consideration. Just saying...

Again, you are new here, and again welcome! I'm all for promoting the better discussions, and since you are new (speaking of gospel truth), I will direct you to a thread I started some time ago that made for more of the discussion I think you might enjoy. Fairly well known by the regulars here. I called it my Ten Truths. Check it out and feel free to post your thoughts there if you like!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Thanks, buddy. I will definitely check it out.

I do not indulge in discussions for enjoyment. Life is too serious for mindless fun.
The thread referred to is here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...en-truths.html

Old 01-10-2023, 06:49 AM

16,583 posts, read 15,507,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Correct. I don't think you can fall in love with anyone or anything.

I never like going to school, and it was torture studying all that science and math in university. My parents said I had to do that to earn a living. I can't say I did not enjoy the challenge and excitement of my professional career but I could sense that I was living the absurd life of Sisyphus. I retired as soon as I could, early. Life is magical. I wasn't going to waste it pushing a boulder uphill like you.
You don't think you can fall in love with anyone or anything?

That's very sad. I'm sorry you never experienced real love.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:28 AM

21,869 posts, read 19,019,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

the love we may feel is already within us. it does not come from nor is it caused by nor is it dependent upon anything external.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:48 AM

9,309 posts, read 12,900,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the love we may feel is already within us. it does not come from nor is it caused by nor is it dependent upon anything external.
That’s a subjective philosophical perspective which may, or may not, bear out in individual real-life situations. Perhaps the ability to love is innate, but the ways in which we express our love—be they good, bad, or indifferent—come down to cultural values and personal experiences. What’s especially important is how love and loving behaviors are modeled for us by our families and caregivers. Breaking these patterns is difficult, even if you know, on a conscious level, that certain behaviors are unhealthy and dysfunctional. This is a key reason why, all too often, people who are abused go on to become abusers themselves.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:05 AM

15,796 posts, read 6,861,437 times
Quote:
Nicely put, Tzaph. All expressions of love, compassion, generosity, courage etc are reflections of the Divinity within. That we are aware of these feelings within us is also reflection of the Divinity within. That is the only source, there is no other.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:12 AM

15,796 posts, read 6,861,437 times
Quote:

What is real love? The kind where one falls out of love with same person they fell in love with, and even begin hating this loved one, and sometime even killing this object of “real” love?
Love does not change or die. It simply is.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:30 AM

9,309 posts, read 12,900,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What is real love? The kind where one falls out of love with same person they fell in love with, and even begin hating this loved one, and sometime even killing this object of “real” love?
Love does not change or die. It simply is.
Most forms of love are conditional. Falling out of love with someone who does wrong by you is setting boundaries.

The one form of love that is, or at least should be, unconditional, is a parent’s love of a child.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:32 AM

16,581 posts, read 4,866,893 times
Quote:
Only if you are an egoist. My love for my wife is dependent on her external existence.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:18 AM

1,440 posts, read 464,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
My first sentence was looking at how plants grow, as they grow toward the gravitational drawing of light. And also rest when light is not present. And water is also required for that growth to happen. And produce juicy fruit.

My second sentence was a simple observation of filling a glass of water.
Quote:
Plants growing toward light is not caused by gravity.
When you put your response to me (that is according to you) on the balance, which uses gravity. You use the downward weight of declaring what I wrote as wrong (putting me down) and lift yourself up in that to declare yourself right and declaring yourself as rising in the light of enlightenment.

Science overlooks the spirit, and words are spirit going forth. Words can lift up and words can put down. Words can set free and words can imprison.

It is said of Samuel that his words did not fall to the ground.

Last edited by chief scum; 01-10-2023 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality